Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

My Doc wasn't sure how much I should reduce intake by ahead of stopping for good.

Notices

My Doc wasn't sure how much I should reduce intake by ahead of stopping for good.

Old 11-22-2014, 03:12 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hello

I posted a hello last night (it's 11am here in England) and had some really sound advice and I felt welcomed. That alone meant so much to me. As I look back frankly over the last 4 or 5 years I can see that it is my awful relationship with alcohol that caused me to lose nearly all of my close friends (through drunk behaviour).

Anyhow, back to the point.

My doctor yesterday agreed I should reduce before stopping so as to avoid the mess I was in 2 years ago when I stopped dead for 100 days with no weaning.

However, looking back at our conversation I didn't get any advice as to the actual amounts. Unlike 2 years back when I was drinking throughout the day, my alcoholism now normally goes like this: I get through the day and by the evening (6pm) I begin to drink. I would typically drink 4 to 6 pints of 4-5% lager, 35c of vodka and 20c of whiskey and then bed. So, I do get through the day (although I feel groggy and perspire).

I'm wondering how I should approach this trim down in terms of volume. Half perhaps? Or maybe I only really need a tiny amount so as to avoid the icy night sweats and insomnia. As I said the doctor agreed on a trimming down ahead of stopping completely but volume was not discussed.

Any feedback and/or prior experience of this would be greatly appreciated.
Old 11-22-2014, 03:58 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Prezzo,

If you're not sure you need to go back to your Dr and ask for specifics.

None of us know your clinical history, the vast majority of us have no medical knowledge, and I'm afraid we simply can't give you medical advice under our rules.

10. Medical Advice: No Posts giving medical advice, medication advice, or psychiatric advice. Do not use the forum to give or ask for professional medical or psychiatric advice. If you are a medical professional, please remember the forums and chat are for peer support only and not to be used for distributing professional medical advice and/or using the forum to represent your professional services. Medical and Psychiatric advice includes giving a diagnosis, treatment plan, medication advice and dosage suggestions, over the counter and natural home remedies that should be approved by medical professionals. Detox can be dangerous and life threatening at times. Please consult with your physician.
I have removed a post under rule 10.

Dee
SR
Old 11-22-2014, 04:00 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Hi Prezzo,

If you're not sure you need to go back to your Dr and ask for specifics.

None of us know your clinical history, the vast majority of us have no medical knowledge, and I'm afraid we simply can't give you medical advice under our rules.

I have removed a post under rule 10.

Dee
SR
I'm sorry I unwittingly broke a rule.

Well, the NHS is a mess at the moment and so it takes about 17 days for an appointment so I will have to taper in a way I find to be 'healthy' because I cannot carry on like this.
Old 11-22-2014, 04:03 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

get a second opinion from a doctor who is familiar with alcohol abuse
Old 11-22-2014, 04:04 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry - it's a shame you didn't discuss this in your appointment, Prezzo.
Is it not possible for you at all to get a second opinion from someone?

I know the NHS is not great but there must be ways to get quicker appointments?

Try the NHS 111 line maybe?
http://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/AboutNH...s/NHS-111.aspx

Here are some other helplines

The National Alcohol Helpline-UK - Tel: 0800 917 8282
Offers help to callers worried about their own drinking; support to the family and friends of people who are drinking; advice to callers on where to go for help.

UK National AA Helpline
08457 697 555

Hopefully you'll hear from other Britons here too .

D
Old 11-22-2014, 04:08 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

D
Well, how it went was he even asked me what I thought was best and it was myself that discussed cessation rather than cold turkey--so a discussion was had and it was a shame that he was asking me what I thought I should do.

Hence me asking on here from people who had been there. He seemed like a nice enough doc but asking me for my plan wasn't a huge help and you only get a few minutes with an NHS doctor before you're out on your ear.

I'll taper nice and gently. Well, that is the plan at least.
Old 11-22-2014, 04:10 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Maybe check out the helpline numbers.

D
Old 11-22-2014, 04:11 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

All sorted. Found a resource.

Many thanks.
Old 11-22-2014, 04:13 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Best of British to ya

D
Old 11-22-2014, 04:15 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Prezzo,
Keep a log or diary of your activities and how much you drink every day. When how much, how long, how you feel etc. Be specific. Make a chart or whatever is easiest for you to keep track or your drinking and mindset.
Keep it with you and keep it current.
Next time you see any professional - doctor, mental health or counselor, just say, "I have a problem and I kept a log of it." Hand it to them.
One thing I've learned is that most of us forget to discuss something with a doctor when we finally get in. We should do this for every doctor visit. Just before you go, make a list of things bothering you. Sometimes the doctors don't know what to ask.
Good luck.
Old 11-22-2014, 04:19 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LBrain View Post
Prezzo,
Keep a log or diary of your activities and how much you drink every day. When how much, how long, how you feel etc. Be specific. Make a chart or whatever is easiest for you to keep track or your drinking and mindset.
Keep it with you and keep it current.
Next time you see any professional - doctor, mental health or counselor, just say, "I have a problem and I kept a log of it." Hand it to them.
One thing I've learned is that most of us forget to discuss something with a doctor when we finally get in. We should do this for every doctor visit. Just before you go, make a list of things bothering you. Sometimes the doctors don't know what to ask.
Good luck.
Thank you LBrain.

I've been keeping a log for a month or so and aim to continue to do do. I hope that when I next visit my GP there will be lots of blanks leading up to that date.

It's true that a lot of doctors don't always know what to ask. There's a lot of pressures on them here at the moment and a lot of issues fall through the cracks.
Old 11-22-2014, 04:48 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Is it not possible for you at all to get a second opinion from someone?

I know the NHS is not great but there must be ways to get quicker appointments?

Try the NHS 111 line maybe?
NHS 111 - NHS emergency and urgent care services - NHS Choices

Here are some other helplines

The National Alcohol Helpline-UK - Tel: 0800 917 8282
Offers help to callers worried about their own drinking; support to the family and friends of people who are drinking; advice to callers on where to go for help.

UK National AA Helpline
08457 697 555

Hopefully you'll hear from other Britons here too .

D
Thank you.

I've got some resources now and a plan.

Unfortunately I wouldn't trust 111 to get wet in heavy rain.

I'll give the National Alcohol Helpline a call and pop on the secular section here for a nose as the AA ethos isn't one I entirely agree with.

As a therapist I'd also need to avoid meetings within a 50 mile radius in case I ran into a client.
Old 11-22-2014, 05:08 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Life is an unlikely miracle.

Glad you are sorted, Prezzo.
Old 11-22-2014, 05:17 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Best wishes and keep us posted!
Old 11-22-2014, 05:48 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

good luck Prezzo and welcome!
Old 11-22-2014, 05:51 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hi Prezzo i got help from the Nhs youl get seen a lot quicker than 17 days

Get in touch with your local alcohol team http://www.humber.nhs.uk/services/ad...s-services.htm

http://www.humber.nhs.uk/services/ea...cohol-team.htm

if you need additional help pm me