SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   It's a funny old world (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/351397-its-funny-old-world.html)

Tetra 11-21-2014 05:25 PM

It's a funny old world

I am over four months sober.

Sitting here looking back on the past year. Things work in mysterious ways. Almost exactly one year ago, I was struck down with the sudden onset of chronic Bell's Palsy (a sudden paralysis of the facial muscles). As it happened very quickly, it was very frightening for me, and simple everyday tasks such as brushing teeth and swallowing became major chores. I had to tape my eye shut to get some sleep, as I couldn't close my right eye. I had trouble talking, smiling and eating. I spent much of this time crying, walking the prom and praying to God that (a) the Bell's Palsy would disappear and (b) I would get a job. One year, and a course of physiotherapy and medication later, I am back to myself and starting my job at 9 am on Monday, 1st December. (I was supposed to start on November 17th but it got pushed back. Thanks HR!) Yes, it took a little longer than I had hoped, but I have learnt the value of patience and to never stop hoping or dreaming. Who knows how far I can go? I'm going to shoot for the moon...even if I miss, I will still land among the stars!

This morning I went for my "treat" of a coffee and crepe...it was a cool day, but not raining so I decided to sit outside. A man came along to clean the windows and the back of my chair happened to be right up against the glass, so he said to me "that looks good"...and I asked him "am I in your way? Would you like me to move"? He paused and said "No, you're alright. Thanks for offering though. Most people don't bother".
I think that's kind of sad. When I was sick last year I went to my dad for advice and asked him about the meaning of life. He was quiet for a while and then said "I really don't know. Why don't you just do what I do? Work hard and be kind to others". Isn't that why we are here?
I happen to really like this quote: "Our prime purpose in life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them" - Dalai Lama.

We can accomplish great things when we put down the bottle.

trachemys 11-21-2014 05:36 PM

Tetra, you sound fantastic.

matilda123 11-21-2014 05:39 PM

I really needed this tonight. Thank you for the inspiration and the reminder of the gifts we get (and can give) when sober.

Soberwolf 11-21-2014 05:39 PM

Well said Tetra

Tetra 11-21-2014 05:40 PM

Aw thank you.

Yes, people have commented on the noticeable change in me. I can't explain it but I have really started to come out of my shell, and I've stopped "hiding" away.

suki44883 11-21-2014 05:41 PM

I am so happy for you, Tetra! ((((HUGS))))

Nonsensical 11-21-2014 05:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Fantastic!

Inchworm 11-21-2014 05:50 PM

A beautiful post, tetra. Thanks!

Tetra 11-21-2014 06:10 PM

I always had this idea that there was something "wrong" with me.

There is nothing wrong with me.

I am just like everyone else.

All the pressure was just in my own head.

Dee said something a while back that "whether life is good or bad, the sun still sets at night. We still go to bed at night and we get up in the morning". When I let go of the anxiety and huge pressure in my head it was really different.

bblackbirdflyy 11-21-2014 06:21 PM

Good strong post. Thank you tetra.

bunnezjp 11-21-2014 08:10 PM

Thank you for sharing, Tetra, and fantastic job on your progress :c011:

Bunnez

Mags1 11-21-2014 08:17 PM

Congratulations on coming so far, Tetra, good luck with your new job.x

Hawkeye13 11-21-2014 08:57 PM

Thanks for sharing.
So wonderful to see you healing and growing Tetra

MythOfSisyphus 11-22-2014 12:41 AM

That is awesome, Tetra! That word "hiding" is a powerful one. In retrospect I can see that I was hiding in alcohol to avoid facing my life. It's good to come out of the dark into the light of day.:c011:

lunar 11-22-2014 12:49 AM

Powerful stuff.
I've got the chills
Congratulations Tetra!

FreeOwl 11-22-2014 02:10 AM

Good stuff Tetra.

Congratulations on your sobriety!

JanieJ 11-22-2014 03:50 AM

Thank you so much for that Tetra. It's wonderful that you are so at peace with yourself, and wonderful that you shared for people like me who are newly sober.

:tyou

FeelingGreat 11-22-2014 03:55 AM

Tetra, you give me hope.