Notices

High-dose Chamomile tea, a "relaxation" alternative?

Old 11-20-2014, 08:59 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

High-dose Chamomile tea, a "relaxation" alternative?

I've been dealing with some moderate anxiety the last couple days, i've just had a lot on my mind lately.

One of the bigger problems facing us sober folk, and one that comes up time and time and time and time and time again on here, is the question of "so, how do i relax now?"

I've been drinking Chamomile tea here and there ever since going sober, mainly for dealing with the crazy insomnia. I mostly have been using a single tea-bag dipped into a cup of hot water. But yesterday, just out of curiosity i thought i would try a high dose to see what would happen. I'm also a large guy, so i've had a suspicion that 1 tea-bag is simply not enough given my size. Instead of the usual single tea-bag, i went with 2. Followed by a subsequent cup of tea using another 2 tea-bags. For a total of 4 tea-bags used. It took about an hour i would say, but when the effects finally set in i was taken aback by how my anxiety seemingly just disappeared instantly. It was very soothing and i felt a sense of calm awareness. With 1 tea-bag i felt some minor relief, but my goodness, with a simple increase in dosage it seemed like night and day.

As an added benefit, when i hit the sack a couple hours later, i went straight to sleep like a baby and stayed asleep for a solid 8 hours, had a dream or two (dreams are always a good sign). Woke up fresh

I just thought i would mention this since i notice a lot of relapses described on here always seem to involve "anxiety" or "stress" in some shape or form. This really cheap tea (like $2 a box) is pretty weak stuff on it's own and barely noticeable at the 1 tea-bag recommended serving, but in higher doses? oh man, it's relaxation effect seems comparable to alcohol. Instead of euphoria however, you just become sleepy.

There's always other ways to relax (that don't involve picking up again), and i'm just mentioning typical run-of-the-mill Chamomile, who knows what other solutions are out there.........
Old 11-20-2014, 09:29 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

LOL Is it me, or is it a very alcoholic thing to think twice as much of something must be twice as good ?

I'm not a camomile tea drinker but I do know it's a natural blood thinner so it's good to be mindful of that, especially if you're on medications that may be impacted by interaction, or have liver or kidney problems or are pregnant...

Probably best to avoid operating heavy machinery too

not a doctor...just common sense stuff

D
Old 11-20-2014, 09:52 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm a big fan of chamomile tea, although I only have it regular strength. I guess I'm just a cheap date :=] It's actually really good for the digestion, I find, as well as helping with insomnia and anxiety.
Old 11-20-2014, 09:56 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I NEED A WAY TO RELAX.

I HAVE CONSTANT ANXIETY ITS DRIVING ME NUTS!!

I feel your pain.... need a way to relax now ughhhhh