Notices

Waiting to stumble...

Old 11-20-2014, 12:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Waiting to stumble...

Hey all - 53 days in , and feeling really good. Is this the pink cloud? Can people feel this good so early on? Like, the last thing I feel like doing is having a drink. The cravings seem to no longer consume me. I am scared to relapse...but am such a stubborn person that I am doing everything in my power not to. Is it possible to get, and stay sober after one serious and conscientious effort? I am going to AA, started the steps, and have a sponsor. Next up will be the 4th and 5th...I dunno. Rambling a bit...just kind of waiting for the other shoe to drop, if that makes any sense??!!!
Old 11-20-2014, 12:11 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I have no advice because I haven't made it close to that far in a long time, but I just wanted to say, "YAY! Good for you! You're doing awesome."
Old 11-20-2014, 12:13 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Recovery is a straight line once you decide it is.

Sounds like you've decided. Don't let anything or anyone convince you that you are going to fail - including that little voice in your head!
Old 11-20-2014, 12:22 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
learning to live

Originally Posted by Ellay View Post
Is it possible to get, and stay sober after one serious and conscientious effort? sense??!!!
yes, totally!

YOU and only YOU decide when you have had enough! I have a relative who put it down all alone and never looked back. He had just literally HAD ENOUGH. That was 20 years ago!

Awesome job on 53 days! I have not had this pink cloud cept on limited days. But I got faith its coming Ellay, I say enjoy that cloud and ride it all the way to a PERMANENT life of sobriety

Old 11-20-2014, 12:24 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
learning to live

oh, and your AV is ALLLL over that posting ....ONLY YOU are in control of relapsing or not.

bash that AV YOU TOTALLY GOT THIS, Ellay
Old 11-20-2014, 12:36 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Is it possible to get, and stay sober after one serious and conscientious effort?
Yes.

Don't let negative thinking undermine your recovery.
Old 11-20-2014, 12:51 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Hey all - 53 days in , and feeling really good. Is this the pink cloud? Can people feel this good so early on? Like, the last thing I feel like doing is having a drink. The cravings seem to no longer consume me. I am scared to relapse...but am such a stubborn person that I am doing everything in my power not to. Is it possible to get, and stay sober after one serious and conscientious effort? I am going to AA, started the steps, and have a sponsor. Next up will be the 4th and 5th...I dunno. Rambling a bit...just kind of waiting for the other shoe to drop, if that makes any sense??!!!
Great post!

I think for me in the rooms of AA and on SR I hear and read so much about relapse I've gained a very healthy respect with vigilance. Sound like you are doing that as well.

We beg of you to be fearless and thorough from the very start.....
I attribute a lot of relapse in AA to NOT having been these two things. S

As you've done step 3, remember WE are not in control. Self will only carried us so far....
We turned our will and our life over to the care of God, as we understood Him.

3 step prayer reminds me of this each morning during prayer and meditation

Your post sounds healthy to me, yes we can get it on the first run! Relapse does not have to happen. We are men and women who have recovered.......

Kind Regards,
FlyN
Old 11-20-2014, 01:00 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Waiting to stumble?

How about "Continuing to succeed" instead? I like that better.
Old 11-20-2014, 01:16 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hi Ellay yes this is my first real attempt it took 3 months of trying but i couldnt get to a month sober then i did and im still here at 16 months

Well done on 53 Days keep going i had a few pinch me im sober moments
Old 11-20-2014, 01:21 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good for you on Day 53! I'm glad you're feeling good.

You can make the decision to keep your recovery on track and it sounds like that's exactly what you're doing.
Old 11-20-2014, 01:30 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Feeling the same way at 81 days... I do not want to go back where I was... It's just the accepting that I cannot drink again ever that sucks.

I can do all things through he who strengthens me
Old 11-20-2014, 01:30 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Living Sober

Hey Ellay- congrats on the 53 days!!!
Is it possible to get, and stay sober after one serious and conscientious effort?
I think is is. I've been able to do it for 15 months now, with no relapses to date (knocking on wood). I do think it takes strong determination, which includes no compromises at all. I feel that a person needs to understand that drinking is simply no longer an option- ever. Once this mindset is in place, and after any withdrawals are over, then I think it comes down to mind-over-matter.

Easy- no, but very doable. And it's still a work in progress, as the temptations are still there.

I wish you the best with your continued progress!

Lusher
Old 11-20-2014, 01:31 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Living Sober

-Deleted-

Duplicate posting.

Last edited by Lusher; 11-20-2014 at 01:33 PM. Reason: deleted- dup posting.
Old 11-20-2014, 02:01 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thanks, everyone. What a lifeline this site is. I will say that I feel bad for those that had negative experience with AA. I know that it is not the be all and end all, but I know that there is no way I would be feeling this in control without it. I am also in no hurry to get through the steps, is that wrong? My sponsor is pretty laid back, which I appreciate. She is waiting for me to be ready to do the next few. It's not like I am tossing and turning all night wondering how or why I became an alcoholic. In fact, sleeping quite peacefully these days anyway - going to ride this rosy pink pillow of a cloud for awhile longer...hop on and join me
Old 11-20-2014, 02:13 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Yes! This is my first 'rodeo' and I'm roughly four months in. Congratulations on your great start!
Old 11-20-2014, 02:17 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

You do NOT have to relapse because relapses are part of addiction, not recovery. I love the "straight line" idea. This is my first time too and I am at 8 months and I am never drinking again and THAT is awesome. You DO NOT have to relapse and YOU control your life. Let's do this together. I am committed 100%

I love that you are taking your time with the steps. That's ok. Recovery is a personal thing and you make the rules.

Be happy for the good feelings and enjoy them and be proud of how much you have achieved!

N
Old 11-20-2014, 02:30 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

I returned to drinking many times, but I consider I've really only made one concerted committed effort and that effort started back in 2007

I was waiting to stumble too, for a while, but...I never did

It is possible, yes
D
Old 11-20-2014, 02:54 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

yes it's possible just be on the lookout for the av creeping in and telling you that since you feel so good now you can drink one time and control it. It won't happen if you are addicted. Not trying to be negative but everyone get those feelings that they are normal and can drink again. I say if you are on this forum you are far from able to ever drink again. I am not saying this to set you up for failure but I speak from experience. I though I was on top of the world when I had a 12 month stint of sobriety back in 96. I decided for some unknown reason that I was going to drink a couple of beers one night. It worked that night, but within two weeks I was back at the bar every night like I've never left. Just stay alert for this and make a committed decision that you can't drink again and you can feel this good the rest of your time on earth, at least about your drinking decision.
Old 11-20-2014, 02:58 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Rambling a bit...just kind of waiting for the other shoe to drop, if that makes any sense??!!!
That's one of the many hallmarks of our addiction...not staying present..worrying bout future shoes (make mine a broken red stiletto)

Yes, I have heard of many folks who get it right the first time. Decide to be one.
Old 11-20-2014, 03:01 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Close to 10 months and counting... after about 8 years not a single week of continuous sobriety. Not 10 years, but I'm quite pleased with it. The "serious and conscientious effort" has been the key for me.