Notices

Newbie's Sober Weekender Thread! Nov 21-23

Old 11-20-2014, 09:58 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

almost forgot, trachmeys says he's taking a sabatical

Sooooooooo since he's been the main music man... and I know he loves VH

Old 11-20-2014, 10:12 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Sign me up for another weekend!! This will be my 8th sober weekend! Not white knuckling anymore. Looking forward to some decorating, getting my hair done...maybe a movie ...Jeez, when did I become my grandmother
hang in there ,everyone!
Old 11-20-2014, 10:37 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

So, you know how food suddenly has this magical allure now that it doesn't interfere with catching the buzz?

Well. I live alone and I have too much food in my pantry/fridge.

Thanks a lot God for making even lettuce in packages made for two.

Have you guys noticed that packaged foods like chips and ice cream and cookies are in 1500 calorie-packages (mas o menos)? That's a whole day's calories for me.
Old 11-20-2014, 10:38 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

oh. wait.

I wasn't supposed to eat the whole package?

#doingitwrong
Old 11-20-2014, 10:38 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I'm in too, my 4th sober weekend. Happy birthday to everyone celebrating this weekend, and thanks for bringing the bus along.
Old 11-20-2014, 10:49 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Count me in too - on day 1 today so this'll be the first weekend in forever that I don't drink good luck everyone xx
Old 11-20-2014, 10:57 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post

Thanks a lot God for making even lettuce in packages made for two.

Have you guys noticed that packaged foods like chips and ice cream and cookies are in 1500 calorie-packages (mas o menos)? That's a whole day's calories for me.

Not that long ago, you could buy an individual-sized bag of potato chips at 7-Eleven. Now the smallest bag they sell is enough for three or four servings! To get an individual bag, you have to buy the whole 20-snack box!
Old 11-20-2014, 11:13 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

My grocery store sells the individual bags of doritoes. Bought one for my son. But Bimini, now that I'm not drinking all my calories and eating them instead I've gained a bunch of weight.

Welcome JustSarah! Hang with the bus crew this weekend. What are your plans? I'm sorting through clothes to get rid of.

Time to get back to work.
Old 11-20-2014, 12:03 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Hey BernieE and JustSarah

Welcome and stay close! we are here if you need anything.

JustSarah... think about how good you will feel Monday after your first!!!
Old 11-20-2014, 12:24 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Weasel, you can chaperone a bunch of fourth and fifth graders for your fiftieth. An adventure! I was going to get a massage and haircut but I can do that later. I'm taking the whole week off. I'm not hosting Thanksgiving so I will have time.

Happy birthday Gilmer! This should be the birthday thread. How do we celebrate milestones, sober.
Old 11-20-2014, 12:27 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Great idea Ruby.....

So how do you all celebrate milestones sober?
Old 11-20-2014, 12:46 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

My family is going to assemble Saturday night and my older daughter is going to make me my favorite meal (zucchini lasagna), and my younger daughter is going to make my favorite cake ("radioactive"--yellow cake with pistachio pudding in the mix).

On my actual birthday I will roast a 10-lb. turkey for a community Thanksgiving outreach, then serve food there in assembly line fashion. A local band will play, and it will be a good time. We also have a nice used clothing giveaway--and a whole truckload of stuff is gone in a half hour! I think they're relatively indifferent to the food--but they're maniacal about the clothes!

Monday I'm going to loaf around and not do a single thing except eat and sleep!
Old 11-20-2014, 01:18 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

in
Old 11-20-2014, 01:32 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Reporting in
Old 11-20-2014, 02:11 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Welcome, Justsarah ! I recall vividly my first weekend, how are you feeling? I was pretty bitter about not having my wine. But, as someone said - wait till Monday morning, that's when the magic is ! I was so freaking proud ( and amazed ) that it was possible. Hang in there !
Old 11-20-2014, 02:25 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Here's how I celebrate:

Mrs. Non turned the clock back 25 years for me today - 'nuff said!

She also got me a chicken pot pie, which has been a long standing joke between us. I have everything I want, so whenever she asks me what I want for a gift I always say "chicken pot pie". This year I got one.

Making the trip to Grand Canyon and Las Vegas. Taking all the kids and my siblings and parents, too. Gonna play a little poker, watch some football, maybe see a show, some restaurants, Bellagio fountains, people watching, etc. Hiking the canyon mid-week, back to Vegas for Turkey Day and more football.

Been planning this trip for my 50th for about 5 years now. I can't believe it's almost here!
Old 11-20-2014, 03:34 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Sounds like fun birthdays Non and Gilmer. My mother just called me at work to ask how I want to celebrate. I'm still thinking about it. I'm not very good about planning for the future. Just hope it's better than 40. I was newly pregnant with my son, I worked, it was snowing and I backed into a guy in a gas station parking lot as he walked around the back of my car in the blindspot. Clipped his knee. It was not a good day. But I didn't drink that day and I won't for 50.
Old 11-20-2014, 03:34 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Sounds like fun birthdays Non and Gilmer. My mother just called me at work to ask how I want to celebrate. I'm still thinking about it. I'm not very good about planning for the future. Just hope it's better than 40. I was newly pregnant with my son, I worked, it was snowing and I backed into a guy in a gas station parking lot as he walked around the back of my car in the blindspot. Clipped his knee. It was not a good day. But I didn't drink that day and I won't for 50.
Old 11-20-2014, 03:59 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

I had a miserable day. LOL so bad I stopped trying to fight it. There are just days that things no matter how big or small all go awry. I mean everything. It hit me at work that the development project I am on might have a major flaw. That a basic assumption about some of the unknowns could possibly be wrong.

Nothing worked. I went to dinner and it was ... well... not so good....

So!!!! you know what I did??? I left the chain restaurant... looked over at the mall. And walked across the parking lot and in. Found a store with big fluffy wool socks. I am home now with sweats and yes... big fluffy wool socks to make me feel better.

As I was getting changed in the master bedroom I smelled something amiss. My elderly cat Henry could not make it to the box and did a number 2 on my favorite gym shorts.

I cleaned it up and sanitized.

I threw out my shorts.

I took out the garbage.

I poured a tall glass of fizzy water.

I am posting and then finish off this craptastic day with a dark chocolate raspberry ice cream pop.

Sometimes you're the windshield... sometimes you're the bug.

Old 11-20-2014, 04:36 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ruby2 View Post
When I was super new, and even now, the feelings of solidarity and allegiance I feel towards my fellow passengers has carried me through a rough week and gives me something to look forward to instead of drinking.

I had a tough week which I will talk about later when I'm not typing on phone.

Shout out and saving seat for Olive.

I'm here! Many, many thanks for saving my seat, Ruby!
And to all you kids turning 50 in the near future.....it is freakin fabulous!!!!!!
Especially sober!