Notices

Does the liver get worse before it gets better

Old 11-20-2014, 04:46 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
recoverystarter

Does the liver get worse before it gets better

Hi all,

Me again i was wondering today, obviously after my last doctors meeting he confirmed that my LFT test has went up during the 3 weeks of sobriety rather than down but felt another 6 weeks and i would start seeing an improvement.

the last few days i have been having a pain under my right rib and mainly to the back under(not below) my right rib.

I was wondering does the liver get worse before it gets better such as get swollen raise LFT before returning to being better.

I had a scan of liver/gallbladder 3 months ago and the doctor was happy it has shown no change but i was wondering about the above.

On a better point starting to feel good
Old 11-20-2014, 04:55 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Trudgin

tambdy,

Not sure - don't have experience with this; Just wanted to say Glad You're here with us!!!
All who are sober Today are Winners!!!

FlyN
Old 11-20-2014, 04:56 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
~sb

call the doctor and ask them
Old 11-20-2014, 05:09 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
recoverystarter

Not that easy sugarbear they just keep fobbing me off.
Old 11-20-2014, 05:21 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tambdy View Post
Not that easy sugarbear they just keep fobbing me off.

Perhaps you might tell these Gods that you are a human being trying to understand what you’re paying for. They are sure interested in that!

BE WELL

Old 11-20-2014, 05:29 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Do your best

When i stopped drinking my body then began to balance out and regulate 8-10 days

Your liver will repair itself given time and as long as there is no permanent damage such as cirrhosis

book an apt with doc for blood tests and liver functioning test if you want to find out

good luck
Old 11-20-2014, 05:38 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Trudgin

hmmmm, fobbed off. Must have different meaning in the States

SoberWolf has it right I believe - takes time. Liver is indeed highly resilient.
Old 11-20-2014, 05:42 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

If your dr won't speak to you on the phone, make an appointment and go and see him.

I hope you feel better.
Old 11-20-2014, 05:52 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Find my post "just got out of the hospital" I don't know how to link it. (Anyone?) I had the same damn thing. I had to make some dietary changes when I started sobriety, you know, eat what I want...drink lots of Pepsi, eat chocolate....that combined with 20 plus years of drinking landed me a trip to the dr and the ER...same symptoms. Go to the Dr and make sure you are ok. In the meantime, cut out fatty foods, dark colas, regular tea, chocolate (sad face) but get your butt in to make sure you don't have a gall bladder issue.

Jennifer
Old 11-20-2014, 06:01 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
recoverystarter

Hi guys,

I have been going to the doctors my next lft wolf are on the 1st of December as my last one's came back as raised, recently has a ct scan on kidneys as i was having issues urinating but showed nothing. Kidney tests keep coming back ok, LFT raised from first time but recently done a scan and no change to the liver which the doctor is happy about.

I have laid of the coke etc and i don't drink coffee etc but i do need to stop chocolate. The pain in the back under the right rib is getting worse, i am not sure if there is much muscles in the back as it might be that as i know the liver does not feel pain.
Old 11-20-2014, 06:07 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

If you have increasing pain, you need to go in to the doctor. It may be nothing, but increasing pain is cause to be seen.
Old 11-20-2014, 06:14 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
recoverystarter

thanks miniblue, i was trying to hold off until my appointment next tuesday, the doctors are getting fed up seeing me
Old 11-20-2014, 06:20 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

It might also be something new, like gall stones/blocked duct or such, as opposed to the condition they are following. Best to get checked if it is increased or suddenly new symptoms. Not trying to scare you, but you do not want to ignore significant pain that does not pass.
Old 11-20-2014, 07:03 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Go to the doctors and read up on apple cider vinegar.

Jennifer
Old 11-20-2014, 07:04 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tambdy View Post
thanks miniblue, i was trying to hold off until my appointment next tuesday, the doctors are getting fed up seeing me
jeez maybe go to a different doctor. What kind of health care professional is fed up with helping people?
Old 11-20-2014, 07:08 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
recoverystarter

Originally Posted by phoebe64 View Post
It might also be something new, like gall stones/blocked duct or such, as opposed to the condition they are following. Best to get checked if it is increased or suddenly new symptoms. Not trying to scare you, but you do not want to ignore significant pain that does not pass.
This is why they did the scan of the galbladder and liver 3 months ago and all looked fine but my stool is quiet yellow today but it was like this before and went back to normal(well when i was not constipated)
Old 11-20-2014, 07:10 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Everyone is different. All my symptoms at the end made me think my liver was gone. 2 months after quitting I got labs and my liver was fine. My heart on the other hand.....I waited that long for that reason. Initial numbers are bound to be high. Some take a year or more but it DOES heal.
Old 11-20-2014, 07:11 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I'm not in the "poor me" phase and I got the cold shoulder too. The original doc was awesome. I think he would have found the probably and repaired it himself but he didn't have the equipment. He was extremely concerned for my condition. The hospital on the other hand that he sent me too, made me sit there for hours and then shoved me out the door so fast my head spun. With a prescription for narcotic pain meds I wound up throwing the script away. I told them I was in recovery.

Jennifer
Old 11-20-2014, 07:12 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Oh wow, I meant the problem...not probably

Jennifer
Old 11-20-2014, 07:58 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
recoverystarter

Originally Posted by anattaboy View Post
Everyone is different. All my symptoms at the end made me think my liver was gone. 2 months after quitting I got labs and my liver was fine. My heart on the other hand.....I waited that long for that reason. Initial numbers are bound to be high. Some take a year or more but it DOES heal.

Your right might take a while, the heart was the same with me pounding most of the time and if not pounding it would be racing.

24 hour ecg done, ecg done and treadmill test and all coming back fine.

what was wrong with your heart in the end? Doctor keeps telling me mines is fine and it is aniexty