Notices

Brain feels broken...

Old 11-19-2014, 02:54 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Brain feels broken...

As many of you know, I've been sober for 5 weeks now. I have no intentions of ever, ever, ever going back to drinking or any other drugs. They don't seem appealing in the slightest to me anymore, and I often wonder why they ever did in the first place... So much regret... Anyway...

My brain has felt like it's been in a constant state of fog these past few weeks. It's like I can't carry a consistent train of thought anymore. I noticed this during my meditations, that my mind is all over the place!

This is a very bad time for this to happen, as I am set to graduate college in a few months and need to find a job... Which is difficult when you can't focus.

I'm fearful that my brain will be like this forever. I just want to go back to being the happy kid that I was before drinking and smoking. Will this ever be able to happen? I feel so much regret for wasting these past 4 years and potentially messing up my mind forever...
Old 11-19-2014, 03:06 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
recoverystarter

Hi,

I have only stopped about the same amount of time as you and i am the same, constant foggy state. I am forgetting peoples names, god i am even forgetting my dogs names.

I have no idea if it ever stops but you are not alone
Old 11-19-2014, 03:44 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I had not only early recovery to deal with but several mini strokes as well. I thought I would never get my brain 'back' - but I did. Eventually.

I'm not sure how long you guys had been drinking, but weeks is probably a little too soon to expect too much...by 3 months most people seem to report great improvement

D
Old 11-19-2014, 03:47 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Life is an unlikely miracle.

Hi Savior, mine's like that too, feels like there are gaps in my memory. A lady I was talking to at AA said that it's normal and will level out. Hopefully someone with more experience will be along soon !
Old 11-19-2014, 03:49 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Life is an unlikely miracle.

Thanks Dee
Old 11-19-2014, 03:54 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I read this article (well, scrolled though it, as I'm suffering from fogginess and having a hard time concentrating too...): Brain Damage Caused by Drinking Alcohol Could Be Reversed by Aerobic ExerciseÂ*|Â*Dr. Douglas Fields

In essence:
"Identifying any new treatment that could reverse brain damage caused by alcohol consumption would have profound health benefits for tens of thousands of individuals who consume alcohol. According to this new study, there is an effective treatment that requires no medication and has no negative side effects -- aerobic exercise."

I've been hitting the treadmill daily since I read this (two days ago... ).
Old 11-19-2014, 03:56 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hang in there SN. At 5+ months I wonder at times "is this it ?" I'm not as sharp as I was but much better than the first coupla months. I would get turned around driving in my home town. I'm sure a lot is physical re-wiring but some for me is motive. When drinking everything was motivated by the drinking which was my primary goal. Not drinking gives me some ambivalence on things that were seemingly instinctual before. I need to believe the ones who have more time that this will pass. Faith in the process.
Old 11-19-2014, 04:18 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I had this too and the fog lifted after a bit. You're brain is adjusting to a chemical change-no more alcohol. Give it time and if you are really concerned, see your Dr.
Old 11-19-2014, 04:26 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
~sb

your brain is healing. it will all even out! new pathways are being made now!

and we thought we weren't hurting ourselves when we drank....
Old 11-19-2014, 05:12 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Do your best

Agreed it takes time
Old 11-19-2014, 05:13 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Do your best

Agreed it takes time