Notices

Much needed advice

Old 11-19-2014, 06:16 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Don't drink over this.
You have nothing to gain and a heck of a lot to lose.

Go back and read your old posts Ach if you doubt me.
You were in a very rough way for a long time while drinking.
Don't go back to that.
Old 11-19-2014, 07:22 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Originally Posted by Acheleus View Post
going to a meeting tonight with a friend. Pretty sure I will drink if I leave this person and drink if I stay.. It's a pickle.
From page 98 "Burn the idea into the consciousness of every man(person) that he can get well regardless of anyone."

I don't give advice on relationships. My experience is that relationships have no bearing on whether I stay sober or not, provided I am serious about my recovery. This is something I would pray about. Listen to the answer, listen to my conscience, listen to my heart.

Do you feel the need to be in this relationship or do you feel you should be doing something else? Go with what you feel is right and god will keep you unharmed.

The positive side is that you are collecting valuable experience which one day you will be able to use to help others. Hang in there, it will work out ok in the end. If it's not ok, it's not the end.
Old 11-19-2014, 08:31 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

What I'm learning (FINALLY) is that the most important relationship we have is with ourselves. One of the biggest & most surprising perk of my sobriety is that I'm really starting to dig me. I'm discovering I'm a pretty neat person & I really like spending time with me. I can honestly say I've never felt that way before. I certainly didn't feel it when I was drinking. The consequence of me liking me is that my husband gets a better wife, my kids get a better mom, my boss gets a better employee, my friends get a better friend, etc. It's a complete chicken/egg thing. Im sober/I like me/my relationships get better. My relationships get better /I like me/because I'm sober. It all starts with ME.

Re-read what Nu posted about codependency. Then check out ANYTHING by Melody Beattie and Pia Melody.

Glad you're here. Stick around, please.
Old 11-19-2014, 11:16 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Acheleus View Post
going to a meeting tonight with a friend. Pretty sure I will drink if I leave this person and drink if I stay.. It's a pickle.
Sometimes we are looking for a reason to drink Ache.... just saying. Not saying this is the case necessarily. But we both know ..relapses start long before we actually pick up

But..good on you. You're getting back to basics. You came on here. You're getting to a meeting.

Nice work man. Nice work.
Old 11-20-2014, 12:51 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

There's some good advice, Acheleus. You came here for a reason, probably to see if your thoughts sounded like you thought they did. Well, they do!

I'm probably not the best for romantic advice! My last serious relationship ended around three years ago before I decided to get sober. And my GF was also an alcoholic. Between getting sober and trying to finish with school I've avoided any further romantic entanglements for the time being. But I can say that your choices are your own, they don't come from anyone else. You need to walk your own road for your own reasons.

Stay or go as you think best but guard your sobriety jealously. It's something you really need to hang onto.