Notices

when does getting help start, and making excuses stop

Old 11-18-2014, 06:46 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

when does getting help start, and making excuses stop

That is the question I ask myself everyday. I've literally sat here and talked myself out of good ideas and treatment ton times. The alcoholic is preprogrammed to lie and make excuses.

I have set dates for myself and need to deal with being sober for 24 more hours before outpatient and getting on inpatient waiting list.

Its interesting watching my very slow evolution from I can quit this is easy to how the hell do I stay sober today for 10 minutes today. The mind is powerful and can do lots of awesome things, but it can dully be a force of evil if you can't control it.

Up and down the pendulum swings, but I am doing what I can do to stop the incessant excuses. Funny, the help is there, readily available yet people including myself either don't take it or pretend to take it daily.

So now I am sober, but left to my own devices for 24 hours, and outpatient inpatient, no patient isn't a magic bullet. I let the excuses and pain, and grief and fear overwhelm me, but I can't help but think it doesn't have to be that way.

So I have let the excuses go, I am a slow learner and have many an issue, but there is help if I want it....

I had a post yesterday lots read, many posted about and I read one reply and someone was like look you have a ton of issues, you make promises and excuses, but things are going to get worse if the cycle continues.

They went on further to say, I might be institutionalized against my will or worse yet kill myself. Going to be honest, that hit home hard. What message was I sending, where have my excuses and lies landed me? As an addict, in a desperate place an crisis mode, making excuses or taking action. I was making excuses, and I am glad that person directly confronted the point.

So now, I have to stop the excuses, focus on getting better and get serious about recovery, or I am just making excuses and spinning my wheels. Exhausting my resources trying to get help because of this community and I am glad I got called out thank you all, but there is still the follow through right? So to 24 hours of sobriety I go.... Then outpatient.

What can I say, get busy living or get busy dying Shawshank Redemption, time to take my steps I've made forward, and follow through getting help not making excuses. Just my insight on excuses and person perspective on what I've done, where I am at and where I hope to go.

Good day.
Old 11-18-2014, 06:52 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Jeremy you've made the decision, you've faced up to all of your problems and decided to get help. That's huge. Tonight is not the night to look back through the past, tonight is for resting, then being ready to move forward tomorrow.

The help is there, you are expected and you will be in good hands. Don't whip yourself into a frenzy about the past, read around SR and get a good night's sleep.
Old 11-18-2014, 06:54 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

We are often afraid of change. Try to embrace it! The best things in my life happened when I embraced change.
Good luck to you!
Old 11-18-2014, 06:56 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

That was a good post yesterday - it said what a lot of us were thinking, or at least me..

Try and keep it simple Jeremy...all you need to do now is stay sober, take your meds as directed and wait for the options to become available.

Putting your name on more than one waiting list, like you suggested, is a great idea. Maximise your chances of action

Hope you get some concrete news soon

D
Old 11-18-2014, 06:57 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

In Chinese, the word "crisis" is described with two characters. One represents danger and the other represents opportunity. You have a wonderful opportunity. Follow through!
Old 11-18-2014, 07:04 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

C'mon man, many of us have been there, stuck in the loop. You're at a disadvantage with the other issues, so stay on the meds until you can get to a place where you can be sober and get help getting them adjusted to where you can tolerate them better. There's a good person hiding in you that CAN do this, I can tell.

Now, do or not do, there is no try.
Old 11-18-2014, 07:26 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

When you choose it, jeremy.
Old 11-18-2014, 07:59 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hang in there, Jeremy. We're all pulling for you and you've totally got this.
Old 11-19-2014, 05:48 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Do your best

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
That was a good post yesterday - it said what a lot of us were thinking, or at least me..

Try and keep it simple Jeremy...all you need to do now is stay sober, take your meds as directed and wait for the options to become available.

Putting your name on more than one waiting list, like you suggested, is a great idea. Maximise your chances of action

Hope you get some concrete news soon

D
This is great advice Jeremy
Old 11-19-2014, 06:06 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Life is an unlikely miracle.

Keep on track, Jeremy, keep on track.