Notices

Day 2

Old 11-18-2014, 05:07 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 2

I had no desire to drink yesterday. However reading a lot of be posts here did conjure up some thoughts and insecurities in my mind that I'd thought id share. I hope this doesn't come off as insensitive I just want to be honest so I can be open to receiving the best help. I'm aware that my alcoholic mind is creating these excuses and I intend to keep that awareness at the forefront. I will attend my first aa meeting today

*ive been drinking since I was 14 (21 years) yet I don't think I've ever drank enough to have withdrawals. Maybe I'm ok and just need a break for a while
*i have very recently been able to have a couple glasses of wine and then go to bed with no issues
*reading all of these posts by others is creating negative energies and is just pointing out that I'm not that bad
*if I commit fully to being sober, I'm not going to want to be with my friends anymore
*once I fully commit to sobriety, I am putting myself in a position for a possibility of letdown.

Also

I told my wife (who is pregnant) that I'm taking a break from drinking. I'm hesitant to tell her I'm realizing I have a problem. I don't want to scare her

My dad is an alcoholic but has not drank since I was born. Severe alcoholism runs in his family. He does not go to aa. Should I tell him? I don't want him to worry as I'm doing fairly well in life and my parents finally feel that I'm safe

Thanks all
Old 11-18-2014, 05:11 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

welcome to the forum David.
You don't have to tell anyone else you have a problem. If you can just stop and take it in stride and if they notice a difference in you - they will - then just smile to yourself and be thankful.
Old 11-18-2014, 05:20 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Do your best

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Good luck at your meeting

Talk with your pops
Old 11-18-2014, 05:23 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hello David,
I am 60, and I drank for 40 years. I will have 1 year sobriety this month. I can do many things I could not do when my life was CONTROLLED by drinking, whether I believed I was controlled by drinking or not. Now that I am FREE from that control, I NEVER want to place myself under that life-controlling bondage again, my FREEDOM is worth too much to me.

I could not 'FIX' myself. I tried AVRT, also known as Rational Recovery, and although it is a great technique for many, I tried and could not FIX myself. I pray that you will find your SOBRIETY

RDBplus3...finally FREE

Last edited by RDBplus3; 11-18-2014 at 05:27 AM. Reason: complete my thought
Old 11-18-2014, 06:42 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi David, to address your points, I can relate to them, as "yets" or "for nows." In the short term, I can easily drink a glass or two of wine and go to bed. But shortly, my thoughts become, "if 2 glasses were good, 4 would be great!" then a bottle of wine, etc. The withdrawals I have from drinking have been minor, thankfully. I can read posts here daily and think, "I'm not that bad" but I have to quickly follow it with a "yet."

I know what path I'm on, and I know where it keeps leading me. When I'm drinking, I become anxious, depressed, and the worst part...hopeless. Only you know yourself well enough to decide whether you need to quit. I'm glad you posted.
Old 11-18-2014, 06:55 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Wow thanks so much. Great insight and great point with the "yet". I am doing the right thing. I want to work on releasing the "victim energy" that has taken over my consciousness since I decided to become sober yesterday. Thank you