Notices

coworker lost his job

Old 11-17-2014, 03:21 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

coworker lost his job

I was starkly reminded today what misuse/abuse of alcohol does to people and family. A very well liked and hardworking coworker was let go today for being drunk on the job. I wasn't real close to this person and didn't really suspect anything except about a week ago I thought I smelled something on his breath. I didn't have any real proof and I wasn't going to accuse without proper evidence. Well, turned out that that's probably what I was smelling. The person was drunk and acted strangely last week and some coworkers had to report it. It is a sad reminder how someone in the grip of alcoholism is loosing their livelihood and for some reason I feel down today about this. It had nothing to do with me but I can't help but think how depressing it is with alcohol abuse. I know I can't feel guilty about someone else but I feel bad about using this as a reminder for myself. It's like I'm using his misfortune to boost my own resolve to stay sober. I'm coming up on 17 months sober in three days. Just had to vent.
Old 11-17-2014, 03:26 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

And it's all preventable...
Old 11-17-2014, 03:28 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Sad story. I understand how you could feel down today. Hang in there and great work at 17 months.
Old 11-17-2014, 03:33 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
I'm Wide Awake

It makes me very sad to read this. Although I never drank on the job, I wonder where I would have been in the future if I didn't stop. Thank you for posting.
Old 11-17-2014, 03:39 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

Well done on your upcoming 17 months

Like least said its all preventable
Old 11-17-2014, 03:39 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I have been fired for being drunk/hungover at work. It was my first day on the job so I had to meet everyone, shakes hands etc. Well, of course someone was going to smell something on me when you have to meet 20 people. I didn't consider that the night before. For many years, I was able to hide away in my cubicle on mornings after a night of boozing.

In hindsight, it was for the best I got busted the first day. That way it was less humiliating since no one really knew me and I avoided all the shoddy work, lateness, and poor performance reviews before finally getting fired.
Old 11-17-2014, 03:43 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I think it makes perfect sense that it would affect you.

You may have not known this person very well, but you know the disease of alcohol very well.

Sounds like you are a very caring and empathetic person and this recent incident just hit home for you.

Kudos on using this experience to your benefit and lets hope your former co-worker uses this incident to his benefit as well.
Old 11-17-2014, 03:46 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Wastinglife View Post
I have been fired for being drunk/hungover at work. It was my first day on the job so I had to meet everyone, shakes hands etc. Well, of course someone was going to smell something on me when you have to meet 20 people. I didn't consider that the night before. For many years, I was able to hide away in my cubicle on mornings after a night of boozing.

In hindsight, it was for the best I got busted the first day. That way it was less humiliating since no one really knew me and I avoided all the shoddy work, lateness, and poor performance reviews before finally getting fired.
That was always one of my greatest fears. One day I would drink too much the night before and be let go the next morning at work.

That fear is what helped propel me into sobriety. I just couldn't bear to explain to my husband why I got fired.
Old 11-17-2014, 03:46 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I'm sorry that this has you feeling low...unfortunately I think we can all relate to the situation so much.

I feel for the guy and his family. I never had anything like that happen, but like charleesavedme's post pointed out , who knows what the future may have held. I had walked the edge of the blade soooo long.

Take care of yourself this week as there will likely be a cloud over you at work for a little while.
Old 11-17-2014, 03:57 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by newhope01 View Post
I think it makes perfect sense that it would affect you.

You may have not known this person very well, but you know the disease of alcohol very well.

Sounds like you are a very caring and empathetic person and this recent incident just hit home for you.

Kudos on using this experience to your benefit and lets hope your former co-worker uses this incident to his benefit as well.
Yes, thanks, exactly, It's a shame that his drinking got control of him. Hopefully he can get back on track. Rough though with drinking controlling you to get a decent job. Heck it's not easy to get a decent job or any job for anyone really.
Old 11-17-2014, 04:00 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Sad thing is that maybe he might not have even drink on the job. Left overs from a previous encounter can smell for a long time. Make it your resolve to keep moving forward
Old 11-17-2014, 05:14 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

unfortunately I lived this scenario, without getting too deep, it was almost 8 hours after my last drink that I showed positive on a test, I was not 'drunk' nor had I been drinking on the job. But if it ain't .000 have a nice day. Interesting that my coworkers were all interviewed and to the person they said I showed no signs of drinking.
guess it was my density.
Old 11-17-2014, 05:21 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Just to be clear, this person was drunk on the job more than once. The time when I smelled alcohol on him was not reported.
Old 11-17-2014, 05:41 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

That's very sad. I hope that he seeks the help he needs.
Old 11-17-2014, 09:15 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry for the guy tnman, but it's not yours or my fault...I wouldn't feel bad about using this as a reminder if it helps keep you sober

D
Old 11-17-2014, 11:20 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tnman1967 View Post
I was starkly reminded today what misuse/abuse of alcohol does to people and family. A very well liked and hardworking coworker was let go today for being drunk on the job. I wasn't real close to this person and didn't really suspect anything except about a week ago I thought I smelled something on his breath. I didn't have any real proof and I wasn't going to accuse without proper evidence. Well, turned out that that's probably what I was smelling. The person was drunk and acted strangely last week and some coworkers had to report it. It is a sad reminder how someone in the grip of alcoholism is loosing their livelihood and for some reason I feel down today about this. It had nothing to do with me but I can't help but think how depressing it is with alcohol abuse. I know I can't feel guilty about someone else but I feel bad about using this as a reminder for myself. It's like I'm using his misfortune to boost my own resolve to stay sober. I'm coming up on 17 months sober in three days. Just had to vent.
It's understandable that this has upset you. You know what it's like to battle addiction so you identify with him. He see yourself in him and you feel for him. But look at the flip side; this might be the thing that finally jolts him into getting help. You can't assume you know his situation.

You are compassionate, that is clear. But don't let that make you feel guilty for using this as motivation. It won't do you any good to repeat his mistakes. Use this to help insure you never do.