Notices

Witnessed something

Old 11-17-2014, 05:10 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
AA member

Let it go,if you speak to your sponsor about it do not identify the person,not even if male or female.It really has nothing to do with you.

The only requirement for AA membership is a desire to stop drinking.
Old 11-17-2014, 06:31 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
~sb

yep, focus on your sobriety, learn from this, let it go.

We stop playing god in everyone's life today!
Old 11-17-2014, 06:50 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

There are so many addicts out there who have this false notion that they aren't drug addicts because a doctor prescribed it.
Old 11-17-2014, 07:03 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

i haven't seen anything here that says you know anything about what this person is using these meds for. she might be someone like my sister, who has had tons of hardware inserted in her back and still is in constant agony after years of physio, massage, acupuncture, neurophysio et cetera....you have no idea why a doc prescribed her these meds.

and the person with a five-year chip who was seen buying a case of beer...why shouldn't she?
i have an 8-year chip and could have easily been seen buying wine a couple of weeks ago. why shouldn't i be seen buying wine?
it was a gift for someone else.

best to not make assumptions.
Old 11-17-2014, 11:03 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by NightNDay View Post
Thank you everybody! This is super helpful. I feel a bit better about it now. I will probably not mention it to her unless she says something to me.

I realize this program is not perfect, but i'm still in the honeymoon stage. So seeing that was like a huge blow. But it just reminds me that we're all human, and that this is never easy, no matter how it looks from the outside.
Sounds like the best is to let it go for now. Realistically you don't know the whole story either. Maybe she lost her pills or maybe a family member stole them. Or maybe she's abusing them. You don't know in any event, and it's her issue.

As has been said, everyone there is human, trying their best but subject to human failings. Don't let her issues become your issues. Keep on keepin' on!
Old 11-17-2014, 11:44 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Administrator

There's some really good advice here.

For my 2c worth, I've learned through mistakes it's a bad idea to act on snippets of conversation overheard.

I got it wrong - and I made a mess.

I stepped down as General Manager of the Universe shortly after

D
Old 11-18-2014, 12:07 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

This is a fellow member in recovery...a part of your fellowship...your homegroup...your community..

This is something you are confused by at the very least.

Is a caring, curious, honest conversation out of line? If it were me, I would much prefer someone approached me about their concern.

Wouldn't that mean they care?
Old 11-18-2014, 04:06 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

'General Manager of the Universe' hahaha! Love it. I used to be married to her...
Old 11-18-2014, 05:56 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Grateful

Originally Posted by wehav2day View Post
I've seen a gal with a five year chip at the store buying a case of beer.

I've seen a gal with 15 years "sobriety" who is a 24 hour a day stoner.

I've seen leaders in the program treat the people closest to them like crap.

It has nothing to do with my sobriety. I don't call them out, I don't let them know I won't tell anyone else. Anonymity is the rule, calling her to let her know you will keep her anonymous is probably not the best idea. Just follow the rule.

Like others have said, it's progress not perfection. Be the best you and stay sober. Work those steps, be patient and at some point you will not only have what they have, but an even better version of it that suits you.
I pick up beer from the grocery store for my Dad on occasion (he is blind). I tell him that I am uncomfortable doing this because I am worried that someone I know from AA might see me. I still do it for him because I love him and at 83 years old my Mom has a hard time carrying heavy things.

I bring this up to tie it in with the pharmacy encounter by the OP. What you think you are seeing might not be what is actually happening. The prescription could be for a family member. Like someone else mentioned she might have a serious and chronic pain issue.

I would personally do everything in my power to avoid opiate pain medication, but sometimes pain MUST be managed for a person to have any type of quality of life. I've had 2 heart surgeries and you better believe I took pain medication for awhile afterwards.

My point is that I always try to give a person the benefit of the doubt if I don't know all of the facts about a situation.
Old 11-18-2014, 06:00 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

I think you are assuming too much.
Old 11-18-2014, 06:39 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Trudgin

If it were me and something was upsetting I would talk to my sponsor. Leave names out of it.

Sometimes the truth is difficult to ascertain, so don't judge. The importance of this for you is YOUR sobriety.

In general you'll find that some folks actions and behaviors do not mimic their values and beliefs. We are alcoholics .........

Work your program, pray for her and chat with your sponsor are my suggestions.
More will be revealed