Notices

night out coming up

Old 11-17-2014, 12:10 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

night out coming up

Got a charity event to go to on Friday. I must not drink. Av already turning up the volume. Makes me question my plan. Been reading here a lot and need to take what works for me and keep at it. Hubby already said that he wants to drink.... must remain strong and not let that trigger me. So much going on in my head. I've read some good books, suggested by people on sr, wish I could really believe I'm free and stop wasting so much time thinking about alcohol. (Jason vale I think. ...allen carrs are good too) also struggling with what to say. ...I don't drink anymore ..... or I don't drink. .... Most of the people we are going with know me as a drinker
..... last time I was the driver....even that was tough
.... "get a taxi etc"
Sorry to go on....just getting stressed and not even looking forward to going out
Xxx
Old 11-17-2014, 12:17 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

There are some really good tips for all kinds of social occasions here Petal
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...val-guide.html

D
Old 11-17-2014, 12:24 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Pepsi has been a godsend to me when I'm out and people are drinking. Order a soda (or three) and sip away. I'd say it takes the craving away by 90%. It also calms and centers me to have it in my hand.
Old 11-17-2014, 01:12 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

Good luck Petal
Old 11-17-2014, 01:22 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
lillyknitting

Don't go. You don't have to, if you feel you might drink then don't go.
Old 11-17-2014, 05:51 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

A charity event? With alcohol and drinking? Those are called parties.

Don't go.
Old 11-17-2014, 05:58 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I did one of those last weekend, free drinks. I had zero, wife had a few. I drove. It was raining and cold. It is all about having a plan and determination. I had a lot of fun watching others show off their ass. nothing major, just goofy stuff. I wish you well for your event and pray that you stay the course. It will be worth it when you wake up the next morning feeling good about yourself. I rewarded my lack of wine calories with fresh baked cinnamon rolls, kids lucked out too!
Old 11-17-2014, 06:01 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Living Sober

Hey petals- I just wanted to wish you well, however from reading your post, it does seem like you might be tempting things a bit. IE:
...wish I could really believe I'm free and stop wasting so much time thinking about alcohol.
I know how much it really sucks to miss out of some stuff. I've passed on a lot myself, mainly due to the anxieties as well. I'm not saying that I could not show up and not drink, but I would be consumed with the thoughts of how much I wanted a drink. How fun is that?
Even not going is a productive move towards your goal, as that's an indication that you're placing staying sober above a night out.

Either way, I hope you stay strong. It would be sad to see the time that you already have invested to be erased in one quick night.

Lusher
Old 11-17-2014, 06:18 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Petal, I thought you were a taxi driver?

As lilly said, you don't have to go. Nobody is making you do this. Charity = optional. Donate online and save yourself the pain. The "event" part of "charity event" is normally to reward donors with booze and pomp. Maybe just stick to the "charity" part of that equation?

If you do go, have an early exit plan. Get in, say your hellos, and get out. Just my advice!
Old 11-17-2014, 06:22 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
One Day At A Time

If you think you may drink, even the slightest doubt in your mind ... don't go.

You can donate to the charity instead? Keep you safe and contribute.
Old 11-17-2014, 06:24 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi petals, in the past 7 weeks I've only had one event similar to what you've described coming up Friday. I dreaded it . In the past I would let the dread build up and take on a life of its own...kind of creating a monster. I tended to roll it over and over in my mind thus empowering the monster of my own making! Don't do that this week if you feel that you must attend. I took a different approach this last time and actively pushed thoughts of the upcoming event out of my mind. It took some work but really helped. In retrospect, I learned that the dread is the worst part of the whole thing. As Barnumb said, I also watched as others 'over did it 'and actually felt more empowered as the evening progressed. Staying home may be best at this stage, but if you plan on going just don't feed the monster!
Old 11-17-2014, 06:28 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

petals, skip this one