SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   NEED tips for cravings... (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/350915-need-tips-cravings.html)

Serenidad 11-16-2014 03:42 PM

NEED tips for cravings...

Hi guys...my cravings have been FIERCE! I need tips on how to get thru them. I may have posted this before but am asking again. (Sorry).

Thx!

Dee74 11-16-2014 03:49 PM

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-cravings.html

the main thing to remember is cravings will pass...it's not pleasant to sit with them, but it's doable :)
and remember HALT - have you eaten lately?

D

Anna 11-16-2014 03:56 PM

Do anything that will distract you, Serenidad, even for just a few minutes.

Serenidad 11-16-2014 04:02 PM

Yes I are Dee. Thx for the link! I just hope they start getting a little easier soon! I woke the BEAST when I relapsed. :-(

Aellyce 11-16-2014 04:03 PM

Eating worked very well for me. I did not do the sweets/icecream diet though that many like in the early days, but normal meals and snacks that I enjoy.

Other than food, engaging activities, preferentially involving something physical like walking or running. I also posted about my cravings here on SR like you... or sometimes talked about them with specific people I via PMs.

For me the active distraction was important, don't think I would have lasted long simply just sitting though the monster cravings I had in the beginning, observing them.

Try to have a decent meal, Serenidad, if you are craving alcohol in the moment, see if it helps?

Serenidad 11-16-2014 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by Serenidad (Post 5021566)
Yes I are Dee. Thx for the link! I just hope they start getting a little easier soon! I woke the BEAST when I relapsed. :-(

*ate

Soberwolf 11-16-2014 04:05 PM

Good luck D's link is awesome use it very helpful

Spk soon serenidad

luvmygirls 11-16-2014 04:05 PM

Ice cream was very helpful to me. Often, it only took a spoonful or two. Hang in there!!!

trachemys 11-16-2014 04:08 PM

ice cream!!! Ice cream, ice cream, ice cream! Ice creeeeeeeeeeeaaaammmmm.,!

NHTransplant 11-16-2014 05:20 PM

I eat something, then go for a walk but leave my wallet behind.

miamifella 11-16-2014 06:06 PM

For me the best thing was talking to close friends. I had been told that this was bad recovery because it made my recovery dependent on other people.

But it was the thing that set me on a good path. So I highly recommend it.

strategery 11-16-2014 06:29 PM

I do tea, flavored seltzer waters, pure fruit smoothies, and if all else fails, get out of the house and do something I won't drink at (watch a movie at the movie theatre, wander the aisles at the supermarket (not the alcohol aisle), or some other store). If I was still struggling, I would go to bed.

Rina 11-16-2014 06:34 PM

Eating something, hot herbal tea, fancy seltzer and a good book!

Soberpotamus 11-16-2014 06:38 PM

Walking, any sort of exercising can help. Cleaning, sorting, decluttering... it always feels good to straighten things up and get rid of the old. For me, it felt like I was mirroring or manifesting outwardly what was going on inwardly. And if you feel stuck mentally/emotionally or sort of hijacked by cravings, the exercise can give you a sense of overcoming something due to the energy expenditure. So it can help you emotionally feel more free or unencumbered.

Hereandnow2 11-16-2014 06:55 PM

Special drink, flavored sparking water, going to sleep, calling a friend, going to a meeting, reading the bb, pampering yourself by taking a long hot shower or bath. You can get through this, it WILL subside!

Nonsensical 11-16-2014 06:57 PM

Bacon.

SnowDawg 11-16-2014 07:04 PM

Two things worked for me.
Keep the belly full
And a long, hot shower!
Dunno what the shower does but it takes my mind off drinking. Maybe it's the relaxing part of the shower.

FeelingGreat 11-16-2014 07:39 PM

I targeted the danger times (when I left work, just as I arrived home) and put substitute food and walks in place to divert myself.

I also found taking 5 deep breaths, concentrating on my body, helped enormously. None of my cravings survived me doing this.

rachaelak 11-17-2014 01:19 AM

Curb cravings

Jolly ranchers, fresh carrot juice if you can get it.

JanieJ 11-17-2014 01:57 AM

I drank LOTS of water with lemon and lime juice in it. I shouted at my AV, "No No, No !!"

Hot baths, books, a complete change of routine.

There is a lot of truth in SoberJennie's comment about reflections -first day I got sober, I bought a new bed, new pyjamas, a new duvet, the lot. New, lovely comfy bed = new me, sober sleeping.

I played games, watched movies, read books, chewed things, knitted, took long walks, visited friends, shopped, posted here, read here. I stayed very close to this board at all times.

Sweet food, as mentioned above, worked for me, but any food was good. I'm still eating more at night, but I get something yummy as something to look forward to. I can sort my weight out later. it's kind of cool to have license to stuff my face for once.

I prayed, too, not to God but to "whatever is out there", to help me through.

Hope some of this is helpful, hun x