Notices

First Football (NFL) Sunday sober...killing me

Old 11-16-2014, 09:58 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Thanks ya'll.....
The games are all over.
Some upsets and blowouts in the NFL today.
Broncos lost.
10:55 pm.
Made it home sober.. I'm in my P.J.s and slippers at home. No booze here and I'm not going to the bar...

Guess I made it today.

Thanks
Old 11-16-2014, 10:02 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Sunday night drinking equals Monday morning hangover. Think of the sticky mouth, insatiable thirst, burning eyes, and throbbing head when the alarm goes off. No thank you! Give yourself the gift of NO hangovers!

Oh great job! Just saw the update!
Old 11-16-2014, 10:23 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

While I can't really relate on the booze front, game time used to be a designated time when I'd sit in front of the TV and smoke weed nonstop. My team's the Philadelphia Eagles and so with all the disappointment they've caused me over the years, I can get a little irate at times. So for a long while I smoked to mellow myself out during the games while telling myself that I was going green for my boys in green lol i was such an idiot. So yea needless to say you weren't the only one triggered today as my team got destroyed by the packers.

Strangely enough, I don't get any more upset sober than I used to even and actually pay attention to the mechanics of the game a lot more now. The whole gameday excuse turned out to be well, just an excuse.
Old 11-20-2014, 09:36 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Update;

10 days without a drink.. just made it through another football night. Happy
Old 11-20-2014, 09:55 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I am facing exactly the same thing today in two respects: 1) bars and 2) Friday night.

Going to a bar seems impossible right now. Maybe I could do it once or twice and not drink but to decouple bars and drinking will not be long term viable if I am going multiple times per week. The solution - stop going entirely until I have more sober weeks behind me and then only once or twice each month thereafter.

Friday night - my BIG night....can drink all night and then all day Saturday. Recover Sunday and then ready for monday morning. I need to do something different to break the habit so checking into a hotel with my family. Nowhere to hide or run.

It just make sense to me that where there is a really strong trigger it may be better to avoid the situation/location/occasion for a little while rather than trying to endure it and beat it until you are stronger
Old 11-21-2014, 01:43 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I'm from cleveland , I advise you to become a browns fan, it will quickly make your " happy time " not so happy
Old 11-21-2014, 02:27 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I'm an avid football fan. I'm also a complete and utter lush. I think if I'm being completely honest with myself the major thing that appeals to me about it is the drinking involved. Socially acceptable to drink before during after etc.. Take the drinking out of it and all you have is fellow men, being highly compensated to play a game against other highly compensated men wearing different colors. Unless I have money on it, take the drinking out if it and I really do not care.
Old 11-21-2014, 03:36 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

You get over it, man. I used to drink through from pregame until passing out pretty regularly. Now I can barely watch a quarter of a game, it's just kind of boring with lots of commercials.
Old 11-21-2014, 05:29 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Football was my excuse to drink to excess on Sunday. When I quit I barely watched the games anymore. Realized it was just the drinking I loved, wrapped in a convenient context of sports.