Notices

47 days sober and what a ride...

Old 11-16-2014, 01:55 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Just another day...

47 days sober and what a ride...

Well, day by day I keep plugging away. Most days I can't wait to go to bed. Sleep is what I crave. But then with sleep comes waking up and starting the day all over again...ugh.

This is kinda long..sorry, I needed to vent..

So..Oct 1st was my first day of sobriety, which I have kept. That weekend my son had an MRI because of back pain. A week after that the family dr calls me and tells me he has Spondylolisis or pars defect. Basically there are these joints that are on each vertebrae that attach it to the other vertebraes..two on top and two on bottom. My sons L5 to S1 were fractured. Takes 2 weeks to get into the neuro dr. No big deal says the neurosurgeon. He just needs to get his core strong. The stronger the better to hold the spine in place and cut down on the pain. However he will have pain the rest of his life and he is 16 years old. He plays baseball. He is 6'6" tall. Pitches and 1st base. Everything is falling in place perfectly for him to be on the varsity team this school year. So dr approves for him to start back up on his P90X. Avoid anything that causes a great deal of pain. Nov 9th..his pain is worse. So bad he misses school monday and comes home early tues and wed. I take him to the ER wed because I cant get him into the family dr or the neuro dr till nov 19th. After a cat scan they tell me it has now progressed to spondylolisthesis. Which means his spine is now slipping forward. It has slipped 1-2mm and he also has a disc protrusion between the L5-S1. Call the neuro dr the next day to try to get him in earlier but cant. So he toughed it out at school thursday and I let him stay home friday. Just so happens finals are next week and he has to miss one for his dr appt. Meanwhile the husband is off hunting. So I am going to work and working on the line for 10+ hours a day then coming home and taking care of EVERYTHING..his stuff included. And I am on overtime. I am up at 345am and in bed by 10pm. Exhausted everyday. I take zquil to shut my brain off so I can sleep. I can't ask my son to help me with much to make things easier, standing too long hurts, walking hurts, getting up from being seated and sitting down hurts, laying down to sleep hurts. And of course he is worried. He has gone online and looked this all up. Surgery basically means he might as well be homed schooled and baseball in high school is over. We are hoping for a brace and PT. We will see wed.

Meanwhile Im going crazy!! This is not a life or death situation for my son but it is his future. For a 16 yr old I guess it is kind of life or death.

I can't drink, like I would have normally. Ice cold beer with a favorite movie. If I cant drink I would turn to some comfort food..guess what..cant seem to do that either. Drinking milk is now making me sick..there goes my big ol' glass of chocolate milk. Cant eat some homemade mac n cheese..did that last week and my stomach hurt for days and I also threw it up. Pizza does the same. I already have stomach issues and am supposed to be eating several light meals a day. I can handle yogurt and hard cheese, not milk..milk intolerance maybe? I had ice cream friday night and was sick afterwards and on saturday. Pop and diet drinks give me geographical tongue which is very uncomfortable. Why did none of these things bother me when I was drinking? So I have water and tea. Everything I used to snack on..MM's, gobstoppers, chips, candy bars, etc..can't have. Everything I would have grabbed when stressed. I HATE cooking with a passion. That has always been my husbands job. On top of all this, I was supposed to start school back up december 1st but because my computer is old and giving me issues I have put off checking my emails. No one really emails me. Well I missed the email that said I had to have an intake interview done by Monday to start my classes, which I wont be able to do because I will be at work. So school is postponed another month.

I can't concentrate on anything for a long period of time. It really sux. I have a huge to do list but because I have so much of other peoples stuff to take care of I can't get my stuff done. I am really starting to resent my husband right now. He could have at least asked if I needed him to come home but he didn't. I understand he is hunting but back home in the real world things are happening. Its not like I planned for this to all fall apart when hunting season started but it did. A little support would be nice. If he had at least asked if I needed him home I would have said no, I would have sucked it up. He will be home next tuesday but its just the point. Im too tired to grocery shop. Im too tired to cook. Now school is put off another month. My kid is watching his future crumble before his eyes as he told a friend who told me. Im trying to be sober. I don't know if my stomach issues are because of pancreatitis, detoxing, stress or everything. And now my memory is not worth S*&t! Im chalking that up right now as a side effect to all I have going on.

Surprisingly I have not cried yet. I usually get a good cry on when I get super stressed. Im popping lysine like crazy in hopes I don't get a cold sore..those damn things always show up with stress. I did almost lose it at work Thursday when I walked in and was asked by a coworker if I took my son to the ER. Almost, but I pushed it back down.

I give a lot of credit to single moms doing all this on their own. Course if I was a single mom I would have less to do since I wouldn't be taking care of my husbands business as well as my job.

And that is my vent. Thank you for reading. lol I would love to go to bed now but Walking Dead is on at 9pm and my son and I watch it religiously. So I guess I need to figure out dinner, do some laundry, try to give a bath to some stinky dogs and by then Im sure it will be 9pm. At least Im sober and thats been the easy part! lol
Old 11-16-2014, 02:16 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on 47 days sober!

I hope you can find some peace in your life soon.
Old 11-16-2014, 02:19 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm really sorry for that stress. I'm not a parent but it must be awful.
My very best wishes for your son and a good prognosis.

and...congrats to you - staying sober in all of this is not only great - it's fantastic. Kudos to you Fiona

When your husband returns, do you think you can get him to pick up some of the workload tho?

D
Old 11-16-2014, 02:21 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

47 days is awesome Fiona well done you
Old 11-16-2014, 03:56 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Just another day...

Thank you. Dee he will pick it up when he gets back. If he wants to eat he will cook. Lol. His business is home based so he will pick that back up and his other obligations. It still would have been nice to have him ask if I wanted him to come home. I would have felt like he was supporting me from a distance. But he didn't and that builds some resentment. :/
Old 11-16-2014, 03:58 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Sometimes I think we blokes need it spelt out to us Fiona

D
Old 11-17-2014, 04:21 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Fiona,
I have stomach issues and I know how hard it is doing the sobriety thing when you can't even enjoy your food. My stomach issues got worse initially in sobriety. They seem to be normalising somewhat now. Until you can get a handle on it, I would suggest sticking to "safe" foods. For me those tend to be bland stuff, well cooked vegetables, chicken, that kind of thing. No dairy. And small meals are a good idea. You may find enteric coated peppermint oil capsules 30 min before meals helps.
Old 11-17-2014, 04:25 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Do your best

Well said Fiona
Old 11-17-2014, 04:42 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Sober date 5/1/13

Congratulations on your 47 days, I hope your son gets the treatment he needs.
Old 11-17-2014, 04:55 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Wow Fiona! Your plate is definately full! Congrats on staying sober through all of this! Prayers for you son and his treatment.