Notices

Do I have to be clean and sober?

Old 11-16-2014, 12:35 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Do I have to be clean and sober?

I am an addict plan and simple. I am incapable of not abusing any mind altering substance so as a result I have to be 100% clean and sober.

I see a lot of people play with drugs other than their DOC. Recently I heard some one say because pot was legal it was OK to use.

I can't speak for anyone else but any drug use is suicidal for me
Old 11-16-2014, 12:47 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
learning to live

Same here. I could abuse lent if there was a way..which I am sure there is..PLEASE no ideas

Yes, using any drug is suicide for me too as I have a very addictive personality in EVERY thing that I do. Drugs are no different.
Old 11-16-2014, 12:50 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
A work in progress

I think any RECREATIONAL drug use is dangerous for an alcoholic/addict. I think that other medications that are readily abused need to be approached with caution--preferably in consultation with a physician who is knowledgeable about addiction.

I never particularly liked pot--I think I've purchased it twice in my life, would socially take a hit at a party, but I never liked the way it made me feel. If I were PRESCRIBED marijuana for a condition for which it is known to be effective, I wouldn't feel that it posed a particular danger to my sobriety. Same with pain meds FOR ME. I can't wait to get off them if I need them, because I hate the way they make me feel.

That said, if I WERE to socially take a few tokes at a party, knowing what I know now about myself, I would feel I was on a slippery slope indeed. It's only a short step from that to picking up a wine glass just to be sociable. And drinking is deadly for me. I LOVE the way alcohol made me feel.

I was at a wedding last weekend, and had handed my champagne glass over to my neighbor at the table. Later that evening, I picked up what I thought was my water glass. Fortunately, I inhaled slightly as I was putting it to my lips, and it turned out I had picked up someone's glass of white wine. I couldn't put it down fast enough (and I was glad it wasn't in my mouth for a graceless spit-out).

Recreational drug use is a quick fix for changing the way I'm feeling at the moment. I want to feel BETTER. And therein lies the danger.
Old 11-16-2014, 12:54 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

Originally Posted by MIRecovery View Post
I am an addict plan and simple. I am incapable of not abusing any mind altering substance so as a result I have to be 100% clean and sober.

I see a lot of people play with drugs other than their DOC. Recently I heard some one say because pot was legal it was OK to use.

I can't speak for anyone else but any drug use is suicidal for me
Agreed
Old 11-16-2014, 12:57 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Originally Posted by growpath View Post
Same here. I could abuse lent if there was a way..which I am sure there is..PLEASE no ideas

Yes, using any drug is suicide for me too as I have a very addictive personality in EVERY thing that I do. Drugs are no different.
LMAO Abusing Lent. That is me for sure and I don't want any ideas either
Old 11-16-2014, 01:37 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Part of the insanity for me was rationalizing one thing to be addicted to was better than the other or last.It doesn't have to be a drug that goes into my body. I can be addicted to Many things that don't go into my body and have proven it.
Old 11-16-2014, 01:44 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I have to keep this in mind. It's funny because right now I have the show "Nurse Jackie" in the background (great show, btw) about a nurse who is addicted to pain pills. The character talks about how she used to drink a lot, but doesn't anymore. I could see myself trading one addiction for another, unless I am vigilant. Excellent reminder.
Old 11-16-2014, 02:30 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I've been able to take neurontin for eight years as prescribed without wanting to overdo it. Something about ambien and alcohol were impossible for me to control once consumed for some reason tho.