Notices

Aa

Old 11-16-2014, 07:17 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Aa

Had a few cravings yesterday so I went to an AA meeting and felt better. Just listening and only speaking a few words was all I needed at that time. I hope that it stays that simple. I also feel that I should go even when I am not having issues. Although that is what AA is for I feel like it can become another dependency. Maybe I'm thinking about it wrong.
Old 11-16-2014, 07:29 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Do your best

Good that it made you feel better isnt it ? focus on today nothing else for now my friend
Old 11-16-2014, 07:30 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Can you tell me a little bit about how an AA meeting works? I've had some negative feelings about AA because of some side talk I've read about situations that went sideways. This past week I relented and began to read the Big Book. So far I've only read the first chapter about Bill's story, but I was really surprised at how it resonated with me. My curiosity is piqued.
Old 11-16-2014, 07:31 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Better a dependency on meetings than on alcohol.
Old 11-16-2014, 07:47 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

i went to aa everyday i could as i found as i was in the meetings i felt safe and at peace being amongst people who were just like me

lets put it this way i didnt wake up the next day trying to remember what i did the night before after going to an aa meeting

the problem is in aa there are different types of meetings, some people are really into a religious side of things and spend most of there time trying to convert people into believing in god

they form themselves into little packs and sadly they really do try to take over new comers and over power them with there own way of doing things in my view.

i go to more relaxed meetings that offer up a program of recover but respect that it is only suggested so there is no need for anyone to feel they have to conform or say the things the last one has just said etc

so it will depend on your experience of aa as to the type of meeting and the types of people you end up meeting there

hence we always say try out different meetings so you can get a taste of what you might like dont just judge aa on one meeting

many people enjoy the god religious side of things but its not for me and thankfully aa does not demand i do have to believe in anything either otherwise i wouldnt of ever been around aa

so have a look at many different meetings so you can give it a fair chance
good luck to you
Old 11-16-2014, 08:59 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lance40 View Post
, but I was really surprised at how it resonated with me. My curiosity is piqued.
Keeping looking for things and people that resonate with you. In my opinion, the "program" of AA is solid. It gets us lonely, fearful ..often socially inept and isolating folks out there in the world. There are lots of nice folks there (some not necessarily nice, some control freaks and some blatant nutbars).

Look for what feels genuine to you..... check out as many meetings as you can and find a "homegroup" that feels right. Commit to"that" community...find some friends and find a sponsor..someone who has the kind of sobriety you want.

As long as your interested and its' keeping you sober....don't start putting up obstacles. Keep your eyes and heart open...and decide for yourself.
Old 11-16-2014, 09:01 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
~sb

those 12 steps saved my life by working through them with the guidance of a sponsor
Old 11-16-2014, 10:49 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Lance,

A bit of a read, but this covers it perfectly:

Your First AA Meeting
Old 11-16-2014, 11:04 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

You made the right decision by going to the meeting. Great job!!!
Old 11-16-2014, 11:07 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bb412014 View Post
I also feel that I should go even when I am not having issues. Although that is what AA is for I feel like it can become another dependency. Maybe I'm thinking about it wrong.

Hi.
Some people who have some sober time may want a dependency on something that saves their life every day along with their family, home, job, self respect and a feeling of now being comfortable in their own skin.
All that for just not drinking one day at a time in a row.

BE WELL
Old 11-16-2014, 02:44 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by IOAA2 View Post
Hi.
Some people who have some sober time may want a dependency on something that saves their life every day along with their family, home, job, self respect and a feeling of now being comfortable in their own skin.
All that for just not drinking one day at a time in a row.

BE WELL
I am a slave to nothing has always been my attitude until I realized that I was a slave to alcohol. Strong minded strong willed. Until alcohol put a huge dent in that. I am starting to regain some of that swagger which I welcome but I don't want to be as pig headed as I once was, because I know that could lead me back to drinking. But don't want to be a slave to AA as well. AA is certainly a great thing.