Notices

Anxiety

Old 11-15-2014, 03:42 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Anxiety

I have noticed I have a lot of anxiety now that I am sober. I am trying to channel my energy into cleaning and organizing but find it hard to stay on one task. I keep getting sidetracked. Suggestions? Anyone else experience this? Thanks.
Old 11-15-2014, 03:49 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It's very common to experience a lot of anxiety in early sobriety. Also, tolerance to any kind of life stressors is very low. Our minds and bodies are trying to sort themselves out after the toxic bombardment of alcohol and drugs.

Drink plenty of water; aim for at least a gallon per day. Eat a healthy diet as possible, high in potassium and magnesium (fruits and veggies). You may also want to supplement with Omega-3 fish oil. Also, vitamin B supplementation will be helpful.

Also, exercise is very important. Dont try to run the NYC marathon. Just some stretching and a vigorous 30 minute walk everyday will help a lot with anxiety and stress.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by thenewguy; 11-15-2014 at 03:51 PM. Reason: Add vitamin B
Old 11-15-2014, 03:50 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I still do that. It's okay. I would be multitasking and would be trying to load dishes, hang clothes and organize a collection of cards at once and getting dizzy in my racing thoughts at a same time.

Take breaths, drink water, some milk, soda maybe and have a break from doing anything for a few minutes.

sunflower seeds
Old 11-15-2014, 03:52 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think a certain amount of anxiety is inevitable, retired, especially if you've had anxiety episodes before.

If it's a new thing it will almost certainly get better - if it's not and time doesn't seem to help you might consider seeing a Dr?

D
Old 11-15-2014, 03:52 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I definitely had that early on. We're learning to cope with things in a new way. It all settled down for me after a few months. I agree with Dave's health tips. I took a good Multi too.
Old 11-15-2014, 04:21 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I take calcium, a multivitamin, and b-12 because I had gastric bypass done and have to take them because my body does not absorb much and because I don't eat much. I am on an anxiety medicine and don't want to increase my dose just yet because I hate how it makes me feel. I drink lots of water, can't drink soda or milk. Can't exercise much due to dizziness. I am just a mess! LOL
Old 11-15-2014, 04:24 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hi Retiredusaf

Hope your feeling better have you spoke to a doctor recently ?
Old 11-15-2014, 04:32 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I have had horrible anxiety but it has slowly gotten better. Have you read about PAWS? You can do a search on here about it and find a lot of useful info regarding it.
Old 11-15-2014, 04:38 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I drank to make anxiety and depression "go away" but after a while found that it just made them worse.

Anxiety is very common in early recovery. Our brains were used to the sedating effects of alcohol all the time, and now that we're sober, our brains are putting out too much energy. It takes time for it to heal. But if the anxiety doesn't go away, or gets worse, please see your doctor.
Old 11-15-2014, 04:39 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I, too, experienced a lot of anxiety as well when I first became sober. I think it was, in part, because I tried to manage my anxiety through alcohol. It does get better, though. Some 45+ days in, I can tell you that my anxiety is way down: probably lower than it has been in my adult life. It is an irony of life that we drink to mitigate anxiety, and, at the same time, it exacerbates it. Hang in there!
Old 11-15-2014, 08:45 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I don't think I even knew what anxiety was when I was drinking. It wasn't something I thought about or brought to conscious. I remember years ago my doc saying he thought I had "anxiety issues". I think my response was a "pffft and an eye roll"..probably not outwardly. I know I didn't accept his diagnosis. I didn't really give much thought to any of my emotions or mental states at that time...
Other than ya...sometimes I got depressed or bored. If you would have asked me, that would have been the entire scope of my emotions.

Now? Ya..I am quite in touch with my "anxiety".... pretty sure it's one of the big old ugly roots of my drinking.
Old 11-16-2014, 05:29 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Rena, thank you. I searched for PAWS and could not believe what I saw. I had heard the term dry drunk before but never knew what it meant. I have been having a feeling like I was drunk even though I was sober. I even feel drunk while driving home after my AA meetings. I had myself wondering if I had got a bottle and didn't remember drinking. I also have most, if not all, of the other signs also. Knowing I am not going crazy and knowing about PAWS has helped me sooooo much!