Notices

Last night was bad...I need a U turn

Old 11-15-2014, 03:17 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Last night was bad...I need a U turn

Hello all
Last night I finished work and got home having had a tough day. Husband had been to the shop and bought 3 bottles of wine for us ( that's our usual amount) and we cooked some food. Nothing unusual there.
While I was finishing cooking, my husband fell asleep in the lounge. Scared that 3 bottles wouldn't be enough I got some rum out of the fridge and pineapple juice and in fairly quick succession just drank these drinks on my own. I must have consumed about 5 shots equivalent. Went back in the lounge and husband woke up and he said I was totally plastered.
I'm so ashamed. I have actually poured away the rum. The only reason I bought this rum last week was to try and make cocktails like on holiday ( not a good idea) but I am not used to spirits at all.
I think my behaviour has scared me which is why I'm here. The '3 bottles a night'is not good. And is seems to have become the norm. It used to be2. It's creeping up.
Feeling scared.
Old 11-15-2014, 03:29 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Hi BB, you're right to be concerned about how much you drink, and that's a good first step. I was like you; wine was my main drink, but if I had a bottle of spirits in the house I'd abuse that as well.
Have a think about where you'll be in 5 years if you continue at your pace. Look up as much information as you can about how excessive drinking affects the mind and body. From what you write you may have to stop drinking altogether. I found it was the only solution that worked for me as previous attempts at moderation just found me back where I began.
Old 11-15-2014, 03:50 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Welcome back!
Originally Posted by babybingo View Post
I think my behaviour has scared me which is why I'm here. The '3 bottles a night'is not good. And is seems to have become the norm. It used to be2. It's creeping up.
What's the plan?
Old 11-15-2014, 03:56 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi nonsensical
My plan is to read up on AVRT to begin, as well as use this site to learn more. I used to be fit and strong and over the last few months I seem to have lost my way and have little focus. I know when my focus is good I do get results. I need to have a focus on my health. I have felt so drained recently, like I have no energy. It's the booze that's doing it. I can't have another evening like last night.
Old 11-15-2014, 04:06 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

In your post I can see the progression-2 bottles, then 3, then rum etc....Good idea to read up on AVRT and sounds like you shouldn't even have one drink. Can you have your husband not bring wine home?

Glad to have you here. Stick around, post, read etc...
Old 11-15-2014, 04:07 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Life is an unlikely miracle.

Hi BB, big hello from another Brit

I'm fairly new here but something I've learnt is that if you think your alcohol intake is a problem ,then it usually is.

I used to get that desperate worry that the booze was going to run out too.

Do you have a plan ? Are you going to think about getting sober ? There's lots of support here.
Old 11-15-2014, 04:08 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back to SR BB

D
Old 11-15-2014, 04:14 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I am so stupid with booze. Every molecule of my body knows it's not going to help me with anything. Husband can very much take or leave booze so I am going to tell him we are leaving it. He'll be fine with that. I think last night was unusual behaviour for me in terms of the rum and I suppose I have always thought of 'alcoholics' as progressing from wine to spirits etc and that's exactly what I did last night for the first time. And last night taught me spirits are a disaster!
Old 11-15-2014, 04:20 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

It's not just spirits. 3 bottles of wine is a lot too. I am glad to hear you say you are going to leave it and have your husband not buy anymore. Good start!
Old 11-15-2014, 04:24 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome back. It seems like a good time to make a change. We are here to help you.
Old 11-15-2014, 04:26 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome back BB
Old 11-15-2014, 04:27 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Spirits are not the problem. Alcohol is. No alcohol = no problem
Old 11-15-2014, 04:33 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Alcohol is a problem but I am also the problem. I don't value myself and my health (at the moment) and I should. In the past I have been happiest when I am fit and healthy but I don't seem to pull myself out of this 'I don't care' rut. I need to establish a firm goal for fitness and actively peruse it. BUT more important than that needs to be my goal of being sober, I think.
Old 11-15-2014, 04:39 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

The journey out of the rut starts with this moment, this day. What will you do today to change your course? That's all you have to do, have a plan for today and follow it. And do that again and again. You can do it.