Notices

Handling pressure to drink at work

Old 11-14-2014, 06:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Handling pressure to drink at work

Maybe a strange title, but I work in an industry/profession where drinking comes with the job (you could guess it in three guesses).

For example, this afternoon there was a group drinking in one of the offices down the hall. Last Friday I participated, largely because a co-worker kept calling my office every 5 minutes or so, but today I just said I needed to get home and there were no issues. In the past I've jokingly referred to my office as Sterling Cooper, and it isn't far off (a lot of people have bottles out in the open, empty beer cans in the break room, etc). Classic work/ play hard mentality...work 60 hours then go blow off steam.

My personal friends know I've struggled with alcohol, and it was no problem to tell them that I'm going sober again. In fact I was impressed with the level of support I received from my friends (one said "I don't care if we hang out with a Pepsi or with a beer as long as we hang out," which meant a ton). But I'm not sure how to handle work folks. I haven't been at this job all that long, and I feel like it would be a career limiting move to reveal that I'm an alcoholic (wouldn't get fired, but would be treated differently for sure). On the other hand, drinking isn't an option. I don't know how long I can survive just making up excuses. A good one is to say that I have a workout scheduled (I'm a runner), and that works because we have a lot of marathoners. But now its winter and anyway that isn't going to work every time, especially when there are special events and client-oriented stuff.

Has anyone else experienced situations like this? How did you handle it?

Thanks,

El D.
Old 11-14-2014, 07:03 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Do your best

I just tell ppl i dont drink youd be surprised by how little ppl care or think about this

if ppl are drinking constantly around you and you struggle then remove yourself from this

build them sober muscles first
Old 11-14-2014, 07:18 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi El D

I've worked in several industries where having a drink was normal...trouble is I never drank normally and ultimately I lost several careers.

Like Soberwolf says you'll be surprised how little whether you drink or not is an issue....but trust me, drinking too much will soon enough get you some serious speculation and attention.

D
Old 11-14-2014, 07:37 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I agree with Dee and Soberwolf like always their advice is spot on! It's a big deal to us but not really a big deal to anyone else. I've been and will be in this same situation. I've to decide to own the "I don't drink" statement. That's the end of it. So much easier the trying to explain or come up with something else...
Old 11-14-2014, 08:56 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yes, I agree too. Just recently I declined a glass of wine at a work event. And I noticed a lot of other folks weren't drinking too. It is kind of like when you buy a certain car--you suddenly see them all over the road? Well, now I'm noticing that while I thought everyone was drinking, there are actually a lot of folks who aren't.

Personally, I'm not disclosing at work why I'm not drinking, although a few close friends know. I lost quite a bit of weight this year so everyone at work is assuming it is for health reasons, which of course it is--more than they know!
Old 11-15-2014, 02:06 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by matilda123 View Post
Yes, I agree too. Just recently I declined a glass of wine at a work event. And I noticed a lot of other folks weren't drinking too. It is kind of like when you buy a certain car--you suddenly see them all over the road? Well, now I'm noticing that while I thought everyone was drinking, there are actually a lot of folks who aren't.

Personally, I'm not disclosing at work why I'm not drinking, although a few close friends know. I lost quite a bit of weight this year so everyone at work is assuming it is for health reasons, which of course it is--more than they know!
I agree. I think 30 percent of the population literally doesn't drink. Just let them know firmly that you are part of that 30 percent. If we giggle when we say it they will keep prodding. Most people can tell when we really mean something.
Old 11-15-2014, 04:51 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by matilda123 View Post
Yes, I wholeheartedly agree. It's actually shocking how little drinking actually occurs in reality as opposed to my alcoholic mind. And when working in the food and beverage industry, it's shocking how many folks order no booze with dinner and just have water or coffee. And when people do drink? It's rarely beyond one. Those who have more than one drink at a restaurant dinner sitting are in the minority not the majority.
Old 11-15-2014, 05:48 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

My co-worker used to be an alcoholic too. When he is in a situation where people are pressuring him he just uses the I lost the taste for it. I use it too, grab a soda and change the topic.
Old 11-15-2014, 06:38 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I work in the alcohol business (I make the stuff - sorry everyone!!!). I am proud to say that I have managed to avoid consuming any alcohol since I decided to stop drinking about 2 months ago.

My co-workers haven't noticed yet because I always hid my 'real' drinking from them. When the time comes for them to ask me why I am not drinking (maybe at the next staff function or christmas party), I don't really care what I will say to them. I know that I will not drink, so I don't need to come up with a big story or excuse.

I am currently looking for another job away from alcohol, but the job hunt is not as urgent now as it was when I first went sober (when I wasn't sure if I could still work with alcohol). I will take my time and wait for the right career opportunity to come along.