Notices

Fault or Not?

Old 11-13-2014, 07:32 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Fault or Not?

Where do people land on the "It isn't my fault that I can't handle drinking" v. "I have no one to blame but myself for where I am" issue?

I guess the two positions are not mutually exclusive. I've always blamed myself, and have been very ashamed and filled with self-hate. I spoke with my sister the other night, and she kept saying that my problem with alcohol is not something I can help. Part of that rings true for me -- people make the diabetes analogy a lot, and I'm starting to think its a fair comparison. Some people are born with diabetes, and they have absolutely no say in that matter. But what they do is go to the doctor, manage their diet, and plan their life in a way to manage their disease. They make choices in response to something that is threatening their life. I'm just thinking out loud.
Old 11-13-2014, 07:37 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Thankful for this community

I know I am responsible for my choices. I am accountable. I also know I have to be careful with guilt and shame. I know I am a good man.
Old 11-13-2014, 07:41 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think this is one area where your ideas may change over time.

I definitely developed a maladaptive way of dealing with my life and its problems.

The extent to which that was nature vs nuture, or genetics versus learned behaviour, has been debated here before

I'm not gonna go there It didn't help me get or stay sober.

For the sake of simplicity, I'll just say it may not be my fault I became an alcoholic...but it would be my fault if I did nothing about it....?

I definitely think you have to cultivate a sense of responsibility.

D
Old 11-13-2014, 07:58 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

when it finally caught up to me, I made the choice to not drink again
Old 11-14-2014, 12:56 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Assigning fault or blame is a useless waste of time. Who's fault is it if you're six feet tall? Or four feet tall? How much good does it do to even ask? All you can do is accept reality and deal with it from there.
Old 11-14-2014, 01:13 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

It isn't my fault I am alcoholic but I am not a victim of it either. I may not have chosen to have the disease but I chose to keep drinking even when I knew I shouldn't. I don't beat myself up about it; I have to accept the consequences of my choices and keep working on doing better.
Old 11-14-2014, 03:00 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Life is an unlikely miracle.

I think Dee is right in saying that probably your views on this will change over time.

As soon as I took responsibility for my drinking and stopped, I felt better about myself. I don't think the ins and outs of it matter to me at the moment -I'm just concentrating on building a sober life at the moment.

No use beating yourself up, start from now, that's all you've got.
Old 11-14-2014, 03:07 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Do your best

I come from an alcoholic family and i dont blame anyone but myself for my drinking

i could use/say a lot of things but the penny drop moment is that i chose to drink i wasnt being frogmarched no one had a gun at my head it was my choices and i was at fault every single time

maybe my views will change over time but right now my drinking was all me
Old 11-14-2014, 03:27 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

My late father could drink one, my late brother could drink one. My 88 year old mother can enjoy a sherry and/or a glass of wine and be done. The genes were in my favour. The trouble is I am never done once the bottle is open.
Old 11-14-2014, 03:31 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

My dad's not a drinker and neither is my mom... but every other man in my bloodline from both sides is an alcoholic

I think it's a bit of both.
Old 11-14-2014, 03:37 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Ahoy Matey!

When the boat is taking on water we bail, plug, and patch. We can figure out who's to blame when we are safely ashore.

Best of Luck on Your Sober Voyage!
Old 11-14-2014, 05:37 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Very natural question......Still hops around sometimes in my bean. If I blame/feel guilt - it's all on me this is not constructive.

If I shrug it off and say I can't help it, this too isn't productive.
When I quit drinking I had reached the point of = can't live with alcohol or without it.

Today, I have repented and God has forgiven me......That's all I need to remember. As time passes and I see the light return in loved ones eyes, it matters less about the WHY and becomes more about WHY NOT JUST STAY SOBER!!!

It's a good topic, thanks for sharing it
FlyN
Old 11-14-2014, 05:45 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
EndGame

I've rarely lost anything of value when I've taken responsibility for my actions, no matter the putative cause or nature of my actions, but I have lost everything when I've blamed people and circumstances for what I've said and done, or worse, for who I am.
Old 11-14-2014, 05:47 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ElDangeroso View Post

I spoke with my sister the other night, and she kept saying that my problem with alcohol is not something I can help.
Oh yes, that sounds good
but, I think that we also played our part

trying to think -- who poured the liquid devil down my throat ??

everytime that I look into the mirror the only one that I see is me..

MM
Old 11-14-2014, 06:10 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome, ElDangeroso, to SR.

I come from a family of alcoholics. Genetics, familial predisposition, disease - it doesn't really matter to me when it comes "to me" (yes, it concerns me when I think of my children, grandchildren but I have to accept that my alcoholism is what it is and put fault and blame aside).

For me, acceptance that I was incapable of moderation and that drinking had nothing of value to offer me was key; abstinence and recovery followed. Fault, cause and blame became moot issues.

Glad you found SR, ElDangeroso. Nice to meet you.
Old 11-14-2014, 06:15 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Nature may load the gun but the environment pulls the trigger.

I come from a family of addicts on both sides. So I know my gun was loaded. But I chose to drink and pull that trigger. MY CHOICE. All I can say is had I known the extent to which my addiction would become, I never would have picked up that first drink. 20-20 hindsight. My alcoholic brother blames everything and everyone else. I am recovery and he is not.
Old 11-14-2014, 06:24 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR

My opinion is that addressing these "why" type questions about the origin of our affliction is pretty unhelpful, especially because we can never really know the causes fully. And blaming is even worse as it only bears resentments that cannot really be resolved easily. I think "how" is a better question. The person with diabetes knows what he's dealing with - the question is how to manage it best and to live a good life with it, like you also pointed out. I think a very similar approach and thinking can be applied to addiction. We know that we have it, so how to deal with it in the most constructive way?

I think that if we take responsibility for our life and actions, this kind of attitude will also change our relationships with others with time. Of course it's never a straight and easy ride, we make mistakes, etc. But dwelling on anything too much rarely helps. Learning from our mistakes, and if possible also from others' experiences, and constructive action help.
Old 11-14-2014, 07:22 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

My drug use was absolutely 100% my fault.
Old 11-14-2014, 11:02 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I definitely think you have to cultivate a sense of responsibility.
^^^^^ That right there.

Not so long ago I had a "hair disaster" at the salon. Bear with me here. I was going through a very hard time anyway and this was just insult to injury. My stylist, in my mind, was wasting precious time and energy trying to find what went wrong...something to blame..

I DIDN'T CARE WHY OR HOW OR WHAT..

The ONLY thing important to me was "HOW DO WE FIX THIS...What's the solution???"

Blame feeds shame...so well, don't go there.

You are the one to fix this..so go ahead and figure out how to do that.
Old 11-14-2014, 05:26 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Thanks guys, all of your perspectives were helpful to me.