Notices

One Month Anniversary

Old 11-13-2014, 06:23 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

One Month Anniversary

Hello Folks,

With today being my one month anniversary, I feel that I am now at the stage where I can provide advice/motivation for others to continue along the path of sobriety.

The number one thing that I've done to keep sober is fill the time which I would usually spend drinking on something more enjoyable. This is simple to do in theory, but not so much in reality. Before you can start doing things that you enjoy, you have to learn what you do enjoy. This can be difficult when you've spent a good amount of time having alcohol as your main source of happiness.

So what do you like to do besides drink? Well, for starters, you could do the things that you enjoy with a drink. But, actually, this can be rather dangerous. It provides a strong temptation to make the activity more enjoyable by drinking. I fell into this trap a few times. For example, when I would watch TV shows I would find myself wanting a drink. And, actually, during my first attempts at sobriety, I gave in to them.

Instead, I decided to begin doing the things that I enjoyed before I began drinking. The things that you can't realistically do when drunk. I began swimming, playing the piano and writing stories in my free time.

The swimming was especially helpful. It truly does act as a natural drug, far more enjoyable than alcohol (which, tbh, is the most boring of all drugs if you think about it). When you're stressed out, head and exercise and you'll find your troubles will melt away. Don't do it too often, though, replacing one addiction with another can be almost as bad!

I also began to keep a thought journal. This will help you immensely in staying focused. As a matter of fact, it was this journal that prevented me from relapsing once more. Whenever I would relapse, I would write in my journal how guilty I felt about relapsing. It only took a few times doing this for me to stop completely, that was a month ago.
This also taught me what my triggers were. Personally, my trigger was stress. If I was stressed about something, I would feel the need to drink. Then, when I did, I would feel guilty and create more stress for myself. Then I would drink again to relieve that stress. Such a vicious cycle! The only way to stop it is to... Stop it.

Of course, it's not always easy. Sometimes, I think of all of the missed opportunities that were a direct or indirect result of my drinking habit. They cause much stress for me and, if I weren't completely terrified of alcohol these days, I would be back to my old self in a jiffy.
For me, I just remember how much worse alcohol makes everything, and that's enough motivation for me not to pick up another drink.

Hope this helps someone out!
Old 11-13-2014, 06:31 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

congrats on your first month

sounds like you have a plan and are sticking to it.
Old 11-13-2014, 06:35 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

It's more philosophy than plan.

I know that one day I'm going to leave this earth. When I'm on my death bed looking back over my life, well, if I were to die today, I would be extremely displeased with how I've been living.

Quitting drinking is just one way of the many ways which I need to improve myself.

It's a long road, but we can't look too far down it if we want to remain sane. One step at a time, always forwards, never back.
Old 11-13-2014, 06:47 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

Well done on month savior
Old 11-13-2014, 06:55 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Congrats on 1 month SaviorNomad! Your tips are very helpful! I am planning to incorporate them since I still have a ways to go to get to 1 month. Thank you!
Old 11-13-2014, 07:00 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Congrats on 1 month, and thanks for sharing.
Old 11-13-2014, 07:02 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Congratulations! Keep on, Keeping on!
Old 11-13-2014, 07:08 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Great job on 1 month!
Old 11-13-2014, 07:08 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks, SaviorNomad, for this great post.

Congratulations on one sober month!!!
Old 11-13-2014, 01:07 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats on your month SN

D
Old 11-13-2014, 02:05 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

1 Month is fantastic!!