Notices

I don't know what to do

Old 11-13-2014, 05:22 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I don't know what to do

It seems like you were right. I can't have a drink like a normal person...I don't know if anyone here remembers me..but I did the 3 months without alcohol and I thought that I'm just fine. But here I am..again..drinking every day...lots of anxiety and depression. .I really don't know what should I do.
Old 11-13-2014, 06:12 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi.
I’d suggest doing what worked during that 3 month period one day at a time in a row.
If you’re an alcoholic it would be good if you can accept the fact that alcoholics cannot drink in safety.
Many fail sobriety trying to prove that fact wrong.

BE WELL
Old 11-13-2014, 06:18 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Stop it! The drinking. You know the benefits and you know what detox is like. Don't think about the prior stint as failure. Multiple attempts are what it takes for success at anything in life. The alcohol is causing the anxiety and depression. Best wishes on getting a detox plan together (Dr. , safe place , etc.). You can do it again.
Old 11-13-2014, 06:38 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Originally Posted by aistar View Post
I can't have a drink like a normal person...I really don't know what should I do.
Of course you do. Now get after it!

You can do this. We can help.
Old 11-13-2014, 08:37 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hey, aistar. My addiction experience is not with alcohol, but I very much relate to and respect your belief that you "can't have a drink like a normal person".

That recognition has become essential for me in my growth and current period of sobriety. In so many different ways I frequently tried to "be like a normal person", but I have come to truly believe that abstinence from my addiction is the only thing that works for me. As you (and others) have stated, this seems to be a prevalent opinion among our peers here.

I know you can succeed, aistar. I very much wish you the best, my friend.
Old 11-13-2014, 09:00 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Now that you have learned it for yourself, get back to it and don't take that first drink again.
Old 11-13-2014, 12:30 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

It all starts by putting down that drink. Go back to what worked for you and consider getting help from others if you can't do it on your own. We were born without an off switch. I was at a restaurant on the weekend and was envious of some of the people there who had their dinner with only one glass of wine or beer. I realize I am not capable of that kind of control and discipline and neither are you.
Old 11-13-2014, 12:32 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Can you talk to your doctor about a medically supervised detox? Once you're safely past the withdrawals you can start your sober life, one day at a time.

We're here to help you on the way.
Old 11-13-2014, 12:43 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back!

I think you do know what to do but you don't want to do it. That's where most of us find ourselves. Stopping drinking is the way to go and we're here to offer support.
Old 11-13-2014, 12:48 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
Welcome back!

I think you do know what to do but you don't want to do it. That's where most of us find ourselves. Stopping drinking is the way to go and we're here to offer support.
No truer words. ...you (we, I) don't (didn't) want to do it.

Thank you Anna.
Old 11-13-2014, 12:52 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

So sorry, aistar. I had to prove the same thing to myself more than once, and even with "proof" it took me awhile to come around. You don't have to make that mistake as many times as I did, though.

Don't beat yourself up, you need your strength to fight back. You did 3 months--you know you have what it takes to get there. And next time the AV asks you why not have a just a couple, you'll know the answer from experience...
Old 11-13-2014, 02:04 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Sounds like alcohol is causing you problems!!

For me I needed to part ways with alcohol on a permanent basis, that was the solution to the problem in my life!!