Notices

Thankful to be sober for the upcoming holiday

Old 11-13-2014, 04:15 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Thankful to be sober for the upcoming holiday

I've got to share this, it is a little off topic, but it is something that I could never/will never manage if I am drinking.

My village bar/coffeeshop/market has asked me to cook thanksgiving dinner for them this year. Each night they offer a wonderful spread of food that they put out for when people come for an aperitivo (wine, cocktails or just soda or a nonalcoholic drink). On the 27th they will serve traditional Thanksgiving foods that I will prepare.
They are going to close down the street and set up tables for this night. I have made a list of ingredients and will have access to their kitchen for the week prior. I am going to make a huge thanksgiving feast for 100-125 Italians! I am so touched that they would ask me to do this. It is a bit overwhelming but a good motivation to stay sober for me. I absolutely will not be able to manage this if I am drunk or hungover. The night of the event I will be managing the kitchen, so not out with those who are eating and drinking. I also will need to get up on the microphone and give a little history lesson about what Thanksgiving is and what it means to us Americans. Being drunk and making a fool of myself is not an option.

Also, this is funny. They said "ok, we have hired a DJ for the dinner and dancing after, get me a list of music that should be played" I said "well, we generally don't have DJ dance parties at our Thanksgiving dinners, so anything will be fine!"
Old 11-13-2014, 04:17 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Sounds like you're in your element Mera

D
Old 11-13-2014, 04:21 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yes, totally loving it. I'm feeling really, really good too. It is a little bit scary for me as I know how suddenly the alcoholism can rise up in me, but really, since my last relapse things have shifted a bit and it feels great.
Old 11-13-2014, 04:53 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

That sounds so fun...it would be nice to see some pics if you're so inclined! I know you'll do a great job.
Old 11-13-2014, 05:42 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

This may sound like a dumb question Mera, but what do Italians eat for thanksgiving. My enquiring mind has to know!

I would assume that deep fried turkey is probably not first choice
Old 11-13-2014, 05:50 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Do your best

I hope you have a great evening and stay sober

Buona Fortuna
Old 11-13-2014, 06:00 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

This sounds like a job for Turducken!
Old 11-13-2014, 06:15 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Charlie117926 View Post
This may sound like a dumb question Mera, but what do Italians eat for thanksgiving. My enquiring mind has to know!

I would assume that deep fried turkey is probably not first choice
*GASP* Charlie!!!! Thanksgiving is an American holiday, they don't celebrate it or eat anything for it. That said, they are all so curious. They always ask me "but is it like in the movies with the big bird that is as big as a small child? With all the things stuffed inside it? Really????" and I say "YES! It is!" So they were very genuine in asking and wanting to experience it, I couldn't say no. I am also happy to share such a nice tradition and part of my culture. It is sad to say but these days Americans aren't seen in the best of lights. To have someone be curious and appreciative of my culture is deeply pleasing.

There is nothing like thanksgiving food here, so it will all be very new to them. I've had to search high and low for a lot of ingredients particularly the sweet potatoes, marshmallows (going full on traditional here), pumpkin and brown sugar for the pies and the turkeys. Ovens here are very small so there are never big birds available, only turkey breasts. I remember several years ago I went to a local butcher and asked for a turkey whole. He asked me if I wanted it live or if he should kill it for me. I said that I would appreciate it already dead! He delivered it dead, but with the feet and head and all the feathers in, I had to clean it myself. We've since straightened that out and he knows to get them to me cleaned. I'll be cooking 8 male turkeys this year, the females won't fit, even in their industrial oven.
Old 11-13-2014, 06:18 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Another common curiosity of Italians is drinking coffee or beverages on the go. I kid you not, I have had at least 5 or 6 Italians tell me that the #1 thing they want to do when they visit America is to get a "big, huge cup of coffee in a paper cup and drink it while walking down the street" They find this so funny and strange. In fact, friends who do make the trip invariably post a photo to Facebook, smiling with a big cup of coffee while walking down a street. They get millions of "likes" and comments such as "but noooooo!!!!! It is really true!!!" So funny!
Old 11-13-2014, 06:25 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Obviously I need to get out more!!!

I must say the visual of you carrying out a dead turkey, feet, head and feathers in tact is hilarious. I bet that was a task.

Great to hear that your throwing in the sweet potato casserole for them to try. Thanksgiving is just not the same without the marshmallow melted goodness over those sweet potato's! Awesome post Mera
Old 11-13-2014, 06:27 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Last Italian tidbit… Thanksgiving falls right after the birthday of my oldest son. I had a very traumatic childbirth in which both me and my son almost died (alls well that ends well, we're doing fine) and as such my father decided to make a surprise trip to visit. My children's father knew it was a special holiday for us and was trying to arrange a meal since my father had come over. He told his very prim and proper, blue blood mother "I don't care what you do, just find a f&cking turkey" She searched high and low but couldn't find one on such short notice so she bought a white truffle from Alba, November being truffle season. She prepared the meal and came to the table and said in her broken English "I am sorry but I couldn't find a f*cking turkey, I hope you will like this pasta with shaved truffles" I just about spit my wine across the table, as did my dad! Never in a million years would this woman use foul language, but my partner had been insisting on the F*cking turkey so she thought it was the appropriate way to describe it!! Ok, way off topic now, but thanks for letting me have a laugh!
Old 11-13-2014, 06:39 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by soberwolf View Post
I hope you have a great evening and stay sober

Buona Fortuna
Oh, you'll like this soberwolf- In Italian we don't really use "buona fortuna" to say "good luck" There is an expression instead "in boca al lupo" which translates to "in the mouth of the wolf" !! I have no idea why, but that is what is always said in the place of "buona fortuna" The correct response is "crepi" not "grazie" If you say "grazie" (thank you) it is considered bad luck and you will not have "buona fortuna"
Old 11-13-2014, 06:44 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Do your best

In boca al lupo

i cant tell you how wolflike my life is getting lol

http://www.theflorentine.net/article...ssuetocId=1421
Old 11-13-2014, 06:50 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I should have re-worded my post by asking if some Italians even celebrated Thanksgiving knowing its an American holiday. I figured with how we are all connected today (one big world) if American style holidays have infiltrated other parts of our earth with Americans now living everywhere and vise versa.

Where I live, we have a huge German population / ancestry and during the month of October, Our whole city turns to German traditions. It's a great time of the year around here. With lots of coffee of course And no, I do not wear lederhosen!!
Old 11-13-2014, 07:23 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Love this post! I feel so inadequate Mera, I've ordered a catered Thanksgiving dinner to be delivered the morning of. I've got every ingredient down the street living in NYC! Cheers to you! (Btw I'm off to Starbucks for my break for a venti dark roast in a paper cup.)
Old 11-13-2014, 08:11 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Life is an unlikely miracle.

No lederhosen, Charlie ? Damn.

Mera, your thanksgiving feast sounds like it's gonna be amazing, what an honour for you
Old 11-13-2014, 08:25 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Mera, this post made me smile. How lovely and fun! Good luck with ingredients! I carried canned pumpkin to London one year for my cousin. Her in laws had developed a craving for pumpkin pie.
Good luck!
Old 11-13-2014, 09:07 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Mera, I am so happy for you! I bet the dinner is going to be great!
Old 11-13-2014, 07:26 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Loved reading this! Mera, you are in your element and you will shine! Enjoy the process. Very happy for you.