Notices

early sobriety question - PAWS

Old 11-12-2014, 10:31 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
learning to live

early sobriety question - PAWS

Hey guys. Question....after some self research and feeling like blah lately at 25 days sober (this time, last time).

Anyway, I have been having flu like feverish symptoms, sleep pattern all over, severe irritability, some minor depression and lack of any kind of energy and initiative. Some days are worse than other of course. I am wondering if I have PAWS.

My question is for anyone with some sober time under their belt that suffered from the same as I am....when does this PAWS crap let up? I am NOT looking for medical advice. I have no problem going to a doctor but I do think this will pass on it's own. Is there any at home remedies, nutrition or things one can offer in suggestion?

A website I looked at said the symptoms peak 4-8 weeks in. I am pretty close to 4 weeks. Yesterday was HORRIBLE but today..so far seems OK. See all over the board

Guess I am just looking for some positive insight, people that can relate, a hug, a punch in the nose to snap outta it and be grateful for what I have!!! How long does it take for the damage to start healing?

Sometime I catch myself wondering if this is as good as it gets in sobriety... I saw something Dee posted on a thread (something along these lines not word for word...this is how I took it) & the advice helped (as usual).....he said he had to hold faith that something good would happen in sobriety..he knew it wasn't perfect in sobriety but it was a heck of a lot better than drinking days. I know that with drinking things were just getting worse and worse..I have to keep faith and know that if I stick to sobriety things could and most likely will get better.

I am not working right now so lack of a routine may be interfering with my moods as well as I function best with routine & control. I do know concerning initiative that I HAVE to get off my butt and start moving whether I like it or not. Sitting in the house all day moaning is not going to get me anywhere!!

Anyway, thanks guys for listening and in advance for any advice or support. I really need it now

Old 11-12-2014, 10:33 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

It could be PAWS. If you continue to feel so sick I'd see the doctor. Congrats on 25 days sober!
Old 11-12-2014, 10:35 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Do your best

Congrats on day 25

Book an apt with your doctor Growpath
Old 11-12-2014, 10:38 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I didn't feel steady for a couple months.

Life is a series of ups and downs for everyone. Sometimes there is no discernible reason for moodiness. I find if I do all the right things every day it goes well most of the time.

Prayer
Meditation
Recovery work (AA or SR or whatever reading I can do)
Two well-rounded meals - easy on the caffeine
Eight hours of sleep
30 minutes of moderate exercise
Old 11-12-2014, 10:47 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm about to detox again and give this thing another shot myself. I always fail at about a month because of just what you're talking about. It can be discouraging. What I've read and been told 90 days is when your brain starts to reset and rebalance and your chances of relapse and life in general should get easier. I've never made it that far tho so what do I know. I feel your pain tho. I've been there
Old 11-12-2014, 10:59 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
learning to live

Originally Posted by Dave36 View Post
I'm about to detox again and give this thing another shot myself. I always fail at about a month because of just what you're talking about. It can be discouraging. What I've read and been told 90 days is when your brain starts to reset and rebalance and your chances of relapse and life in general should get easier. I've never made it that far tho so what do I know. I feel your pain tho. I've been there
GIve it a shot, like me, Dave. Hang in there. I just keep telling myself with drinking it gets worse. I have to try and keep faith that with staying sober it'll get better. You can do this! I wish you very well!!!! I am here if ya need a friend
Old 11-12-2014, 11:01 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
learning to live

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
I didn't feel steady for a couple months.

Life is a series of ups and downs for everyone. Sometimes there is no discernible reason for moodiness. I find if I do all the right things every day it goes well most of the time.

Prayer
Meditation
Recovery work (AA or SR or whatever reading I can do)
Two well-rounded meals - easy on the caffeine
Eight hours of sleep
30 minutes of moderate exercise
Thank you bimini - I think you are right and it is funny you mention this because I just wrote a list of the things I NEED to do daily just for sanity in itself. Everything you mentioned above is on it I have not been focusing on this stuff and I think MAINLY this has a huge part to do with my nonwellbeing....that's not a word I know but it fits perfectly here lol
Old 11-12-2014, 11:04 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

I didn't experience any kind of PAWS symptoms, but it took a couple of months before I began to feel better.

I do believe that recovery is a journey, and it's a lifelong journey and so hopefully you will experience a slow, but steady improvement in how you feel.
Old 11-12-2014, 11:05 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by growpath View Post
GIve it a shot, like me, Dave. Hang in there. I just keep telling myself with drinking it gets worse. I have to try and keep faith that with staying sober it'll get better. You can do this! I wish you very well!!!! I am here if ya need a friend
Thanks. Good luck!!!
Old 11-12-2014, 11:07 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by growpath View Post
I am wondering if I have PAWS.
At twenty five days, you are most likely still in the throes of initial withdrawal. PAWS comes later.

And well done on 25 days!
Old 11-12-2014, 02:22 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm no doctor, but all that sounds like pretty normal stuff that everyone goes through
Our immune system takes a beating. You might just have caught a bug growpath?

D
Old 11-12-2014, 02:25 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

The first few months I didn't feel right, it took some time to feel healed!!

We can definitely do hugs here at SR!! Hang in there!!
Old 11-12-2014, 02:28 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
learning to live

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I'm no doctor, but all that sounds like pretty normal stuff that everyone goes through
Our immune system takes a beating. You might just have caught a bug growpath?

D
You make it sound so simple and logical, Dee!! jk! I know you are right, Dee, like always

I have a habit of making things more complicated than they are and overthinking every thing that exists...or doesn't exist!

Thanks!!
Old 11-12-2014, 02:28 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
learning to live

Originally Posted by Purpleknight View Post
The first few months I didn't feel right, it took some time to feel healed!!

We can definitely do hugs here at SR!! Hang in there!!
Thank you PK! Hug accepted
Old 11-12-2014, 02:33 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

D
Old 11-12-2014, 03:12 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
learning to live

Dee....LMAO!

My logic is lacking on how to post a picture here BUT I would so get ya good if I had half a brain to post a pic thanks for the smiles and simple logic buddy!
Old 11-12-2014, 03:30 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

The joke is I'm really not very logical at all growpath lol

D
Old 11-12-2014, 03:40 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
~sb

sounds like I was at 25 days of sobriety.