Notices

Alone on Thanksgiving

Old 11-12-2014, 06:00 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

On Christmas Day, some friends of mine who are Jewish volunteer at the airport in the special area set aside for active members of the military. They've mentioned it's hard for the airport to get volunteers for the military area on holidays. Still, like any other day of the year, there are always servicemen and servicewomen passing through who are grateful for the welcoming presence of volunteers.

Maybe that would be an option where you live?
Old 11-12-2014, 06:18 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Great thread with lots of good suggestions. I will be on my own this Thanksgiving because my sister's dinner is Saturday after, so sure I'll be around here part of the day.
Old 11-12-2014, 06:30 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

One tip is to not allow the last thursday in november to be a big deal in your mind. When your mind creates ideas that this specific thursday is a big, important day, don't follow those thoughts. Tell yourself "nonsense, it's just another day." Don't allow your mind to engage in thoughts of "OMG, i'm alone on the final thursday of november! This is terrible, awful." Your mind may try to get you to think that this is some big, important, special day. But downplay those thoughts. It's just another day, a thursday, the day before friday.
And think what some people will do if they do get together with family. Unfortunately, that day is a stressful day for those who are visiting family.
If that were you, you may think "o no, i'll be with family. How will i get through that without drinking? I wish i didn't have this stress."
And some people will get drunk and start fights with family members on the last thursday in november. It will start out nice, everyone will have good intentions. But as the drinks flow, and the resentments from years past are remembered, then the comments are made, and the fights start.
So you won't have to deal with any of that.

If you choose to volunteer or do one of the many great suggestions here, that's awesome. If you choose to spend the day cleaning and organizing and going for a walk and going to a movie and a nice dinner, that's awesome too. Maybe it's the day you learn to cook your first turkey. Or you learn to cook your first salmon. Or you walk 4.5 miles in the morning, then 2.3 in the afternoon, then take a long shower.
But it's just another day, the last thursday in november. No big deal.
Old 11-12-2014, 06:31 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Artfriend,

I will be on here on Thanksgiving. We are going to my in-laws and it's a drunk Fest! I think people drink more than they eat! It's rediculous. Anyway, I ready have a few escape plans:
1. SR
2. AA meetings close to my in-laws (out of town)
3. Walk my puppy
4. Hang our with all my nieces and nephews.

ANYWAY...I will be around. If I lived in Dallas I would invite you over and we could have our OWN sober thanksgiving. Im about 1500 miles away. :-( My aunt, uncle and cousins are there though!

You'll will find something to do. Turkey is over-rated anyway. It just makes me tired and FAT! Lol. I'd rather go out for Mexican! Haha
Old 11-12-2014, 06:35 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

I'm positive that if you want to donate your time that you will not be turned away - just show up willing and able to help anyway you can.
Old 11-12-2014, 06:38 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

I hear you art. My husband will have no teeth so we aren't going to any thanksgiving functions. He will be too self conscious and he is limited to mashed taters and cranberries. I'll be out in the woods or helping neighbors with any corn/soybean harvesting. It will be very tempting to say screw it everyone else is doing it. I know if you can set aside projects around the house it may help. But if you can keep occupied. Good luck we can do this together.
Old 11-12-2014, 06:44 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Last edited by gippy1968; 11-12-2014 at 06:45 PM. Reason: Oops - accidental double post.
Old 11-12-2014, 06:45 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  
~sb

Dallas Intergroup Association - The online presence of the DIA! | (214) 887-6699 | 6162 E Mockingbird Lane, Suite 213, Dallas, TX ,75214Dallas Intergroup Association | The online presence of the DIA! | (214) 887-6699 | 6162 E Mockingbird Lane, Suite

call the intergroup and ask about any Thanksgiving celebrations
Old 11-13-2014, 04:25 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Love the dog food idea along with turkey for their owners! Superb idea
Old 11-13-2014, 05:54 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Hello Art:

In the past I have spent many thanksgivings alone. For some reason, I never had the urge to drink on Thanksgiving.

Since I like to cook, I would usually get a couple of Cornish game hens, dress them out and make a nice meal and usually watch a couple of my favorite old movies (Clint Eastwood westerns) and a new movie I wanted to see added with some football of course. On top of that I would make Non alcoholic specialty drinks. Look online there are some great recipes out their.

I also like the comments of visiting people that usually don't have anyone around them on holiday's as Least said. I have had many conversations with elderly people at retirement homes and by far they are some of the best people in the world and their stories are fascinating. I once met a lady that became an iron worker during WWII. She was a stay at home mom prior to the war. She welded steel frames to support ship building. She was all but 5' 4'' and 90 LBS soaking wet. What a woman!! I was blown away.

Take care ART and stay the course.
Old 11-14-2014, 12:52 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Take in a movie, watch a flick at home or maybe read a good book. And of course, SR is open on Thanksgiving! For sure I'll pop in at some point.
Old 11-14-2014, 05:21 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Going to a movie is an excellent suggestion, and Gone Girl is good! I love going to the movies by myself. Take care of yourself and do the things you like to do that day. Make yourself a really nice meal. I'm sorry you're going to be by yourself. We will be here at SR too if you feel lonely. xoxo
Old 11-14-2014, 12:03 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Hey at least the Cowboys and lions are somewhat descent now. Remember all those crappy games?
A movie would be cool. I want to see the new dumb and dumber. Probably more productive choices out there though.
Old 11-14-2014, 12:26 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

That's such a good realisation to have AF

Isolation is not a great deal for us in recovery.

I have been busy building a new "phone network " of people I can call when that happens for me.

Saved my bacon a couple of times.

All the best finding something to fill the gaps.

The "fellowship " side of AA is designed to treat exactly this.

Who knows... You might get some company and some people who understand