Notices

Alone on Thanksgiving

Old 11-12-2014, 09:27 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

lot's of great ideas, try visiting a nursing home or hospital, I'm sure there is a VA hospital in the D/FW area and they'd be glad to have visitors.
Old 11-12-2014, 09:32 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Life is an unlikely miracle.

Plenty of ideas, there, Artfriend. Hope you find something to keep you occupied x
Old 11-12-2014, 09:42 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Artfriend.... We have a holiday edition of the weekender thread that will go up on Wednesday the 26th. I invite you to spend time with the sober weekender team.

I will be alone where I am so come join in and we can all keep sober company together.

Ken
Old 11-12-2014, 09:49 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Low

Lots of good ideas here. As alcoholics, one of the best things we can do for long term sobriety is "get" out of ourselves as we like to think ourselves to death....I suggest a focused plan of action....buy a turkey, roast it, cut it up into servings and wrap in foil, buy a case a really cheap dog food, (Alpo) as it also has the pop off tops. Hop in the car and pass out the turkey and can of food to the homeless who have pets. I did this one year, and afterwards it was just the best feeling ever. Seeing their looks on their faces, true gratitude... and thats what Thanksgiving is all about. You won't have time to think about your own situation, and get so much in return.
Old 11-12-2014, 10:11 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

How ironic to get a list of volunteer orgs from a man in London!! Thanks Wolfie... We are truly a global support forum!

Old 11-12-2014, 10:13 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Low View Post
Lots of good ideas here. As alcoholics, one of the best things we can do for long term sobriety is "get" out of ourselves as we like to think ourselves to death....I suggest a focused plan of action....buy a turkey, roast it, cut it up into servings and wrap in foil, buy a case a really cheap dog food, (Alpo) as it also has the pop off tops. Hop in the car and pass out the turkey and can of food to the homeless who have pets. I did this one year, and afterwards it was just the best feeling ever. Seeing their looks on their faces, true gratitude... and thats what Thanksgiving is all about. You won't have time to think about your own situation, and get so much in return.
We don't have homeless people in my city (just kidding). Altho the city would like to think so! This is a unique idea with the dog food. Thanks! I hope the homeless person eats the turkey before the dog does! lol
Old 11-12-2014, 10:14 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Weasel1966 View Post
Artfriend.... We have a holiday edition of the weekender thread that will go up on Wednesday the 26th. I invite you to spend time with the sober weekender team.

I will be alone where I am so come join in and we can all keep sober company together.

Ken
Thanks Ken for the invitation...see ya there.
Old 11-12-2014, 10:18 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberLeigh View Post
The nursing home idea is great. Many folks in nursing homes have only out of town family members and rarely have a visitor and are extremely lonely. Some of them congregate at the elevators and just stare at the doors.

It is extremely sad. I sat and talked with one such woman quite often after my Mom went to bed. One day she asked, "Can I go home with you; I promise I will be good."

And I love the idea of bringing pumpkins, especially small ones; quite a few of the people in Mom's nursing home carried the pumpkins on their laps in their wheelchairs for days and days.
That is sad Leigh... I think I would cry if someone in a nursing home said that to me. I will check out the nursing homes around here too. Thanks
Old 11-12-2014, 10:19 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Big thanks to everyone for the great ideas! I am sure I can find something...

Old 11-12-2014, 10:19 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

It definitely brought tears; so much of that experience brought tears.
Old 11-12-2014, 10:21 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

well Art, looks like you have something to do. Make the most of it. And you can still watch the cowgirls lose to the EAGLES on TV if you're up to it.
Old 11-12-2014, 10:29 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

SL, you reminded me of the place where my mom lived. I would go up to take her to church and on some Sundays she 'made' me ride in the old lady bus to church. I was popular with the gals .
I haven't seen these folks since my mom passed a couple years ago. I'm going to put it on my to do list. Thanks for the reminder.
Old 11-12-2014, 10:38 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LBrain View Post
SL, you reminded me of the place where my mom lived. I would go up to take her to church and on some Sundays she 'made' me ride in the old lady bus to church. I was popular with the gals .
I haven't seen these folks since my mom passed a couple years ago. I'm going to put it on my to do list. Thanks for the reminder.
Yeah; I am heading back there next week, too . . . . with some little pumpkins.
Old 11-12-2014, 11:19 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

My entire family used to work at a community thanksgiving dinner and we would eat there too, rather than having our own thanksgiving.

How about this - just show up at a community dinner to have a meal as a participant and spend time with the others there. I would be willing to bet that once you are there if you suggest that you'd like to help out they will find something for you to do. And worst case scenario you have a good meal and meet some new people.
Old 11-12-2014, 11:40 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LBrain View Post
well Art, looks like you have something to do. Make the most of it. And you can still watch the cowgirls lose to the EAGLES on TV if you're up to it.
I agree! Cowgirls are not my favorite team. Jerry Jones ruined them.

I am more interested in Detroit - Chicago game. Lions are doing pretty good this year!
Old 11-12-2014, 11:41 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
My entire family used to work at a community thanksgiving dinner and we would eat there too, rather than having our own thanksgiving.

How about this - just show up at a community dinner to have a meal as a participant and spend time with the others there. I would be willing to bet that once you are there if you suggest that you'd like to help out they will find something for you to do. And worst case scenario you have a good meal and meet some new people.
Interesting idea. Nice your family did that together Scott.
Old 11-12-2014, 03:04 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  
Administrator

Lots of us don't celebrate Thanksgiving at all AF. There'll be folks around here

D
Old 11-12-2014, 03:05 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Administrator

Lots of us don't celebrate Thanksgiving at all AF. There'll be folks around here

D
Old 11-12-2014, 03:10 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Yeap thanksgiving isn't something we do in Ireland!! . . . so I guess I'll be on SR!!
Old 11-12-2014, 05:56 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

OMG SoberLeigh, that brought tears to my eyes. How terribly sad.