Notices

Should i hang out with my old friends?

Old 11-12-2014, 02:03 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think for most of us it's an all or nothing thing. We hang with old mates or we do nothing.

There is a third way tho. You don't need to sit at home in the dark, help - there's a*million* things you could do without involving drinkng or drinkers...you might even start to make some new friends

at 3 days sober I decided to roadtest my sobriety and hang out with a drinking buddy.

It was tense and uncomfortable and I so very nearly cracked and said 'start again tomorrow'.

I made it out sober but barely.

I see now I was 'road testing' something that was very new and could barely function.

Recovery scared the pants off me...what I really wanted was to get my old life back, minus the drinking.

That was impossible because my old life was all about drinking.

You have to make your own decisions but do be clear about your motivations, ok, help?

D
Old 11-12-2014, 02:04 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Administrator

Last edited by Dee74; 11-12-2014 at 02:04 PM. Reason: double post
Old 11-12-2014, 06:29 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Professional zombie fighter

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I think for most of us it's an all or nothing thing. We hang with old mates or we do nothing. There is a third way tho. You don't need to sit at home in the dark, help - there's a*million* things you could do without involving drinkng or drinkers...you might even start to make some new friends at 3 days sober I decided to roadtest my sobriety and hang out with a drinking buddy. It was tense and uncomfortable and I so very nearly cracked and said 'start again tomorrow'. I made it out sober but barely. I see now I was 'road testing' something that was very new and could barely function. Recovery scared the pants off me...what I really wanted was to get my old life back, minus the drinking. That was impossible because my old life was all about drinking. You have to make your own decisions but do be clear about your motivations, ok, help? D
I see my friends as something I lost because of drinking. I stopped seeing them because being around them meant I couldn't focus on drinking, and because I was so ashamed of myself I did not want to be around people.

And even when I was around them, I could feel them offer real friendship, and I would push it away and suggest we make avacado martinis or order another round or something.

So in my mind, getting them back is taking a part of my life back from alcohol, I guess. That's my motivation ...

But I think I'll think it over more then, I guess. Maybe I'll ... Ask my sponsor, too. Who I have spoken to twice at this point. I think that's a thing people do. She did say call any time.