Notices

Im scared I am going to lose my job

Old 11-11-2014, 07:35 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Im scared I am going to lose my job

I have been doing debt collections at my company for 3 years. I like my job and I make good money and I am able to flex my schedule. I have been getting compliance penalties lately so they put me on a collector retraining program which is a program that monitors me extra closely (more then normal) and if I pass, I keep my job.. if I don't pass, I don't work there anymore. They only put high performers on the program. If you are a low performer they will just skip the collector retraining program and just fire you.

Today I got another penalty. My supervisor talked to me about it and said we don't have time to listen to the call today so we will listen to it tomorrow. He said that he cant be nice about this anymore cause I am costing him his bonus. He said that if I don't pass the retraining program I won't work here anymore.

I know that it all depends on who you are. There have been people on the retraining program who got a penalty and still kept their job because they were that valuable to the company. But I am sort of in between. I'm not the best but I am a high performer. I am scared about what is going to happen and the waiting makes it worse. I just want to know what is going to happen.

I am on day 9 today. Didn't go to a meeting tonight but also didn't drink. And I had a good convo with my sponsor about what is going on with my job. I guess I just have to accept whatever happens and learn from it and move on. Things happen for a reason.
Old 11-11-2014, 07:47 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Just out of curiosity, what are "compliance penalties?" I hope you get to keep your job. You're on day 9. I am a completely different employee now that I am not hungover every day. You will improve too!
Old 11-11-2014, 07:59 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

MelindaFlowers, In the debt collection industry we are given compliance guidelines such as what we can say on a phone call, what we are required to ask, disclosures we are required to give, ect. And if we forget to verify a piece of required information, forget to say a disclosure, forget to notate the information and so on... then we get a compliance penalty. And if you get too many of them you lose your job.

I know that a big goal that I will work on in my sobriety will be being a better employee. Whether I get to keep this job or have to get a new one, either way, I want to work on punctuality since being on time has been a problem for me in a lot of areas of my life.
Old 11-11-2014, 08:22 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Wishing you the best ItsMe - I think the best thing you can do is make sure that noone has cause for complaint from now on

D
Old 11-11-2014, 08:51 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Professional zombie fighter

Yeah, being sober and doing your best is all you can do now.

I'm in the same boat actually. If I don't perform spectacularly for the next month or so I'll probably lose my job at year's end. I've been told this. It's more in my control than your situation, but still ... I'm trying to focus on what I can control and not worry about the decisions others make that I can't affect.

We're all rooting for you here
Old 11-12-2014, 12:00 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hope it turns out ok
Old 11-12-2014, 01:04 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I've done collection jobs in another life. Compliance is the "easy" part in a way since it's almost completely under your control, unlike other metrics which involve some luck. I wish you well and hopefully you won't get fired. All you can do now is look forward and do the best you can tomorrow and the days after. Obviously that is more likely to happen if you stay sober. If you're like me most of the tardiness and attendance issues stem from being drunk or hungover.

Work on your sobriety and let the rest work itself out.
Old 11-12-2014, 01:13 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

It's great you've got to nine days but realistically it's going to take a bit longer before work situations sort themselves out. My boss lost trust in me over drinking. I've got nearly three months sober now and things are significantly better but of course, he has no reason to put much responsibility on my shoulders at this stage.
Old 11-12-2014, 01:32 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Ug... I hate job problems! Things get better with sobriety but not overnight. I really hope this turns out for you. What did ur sponsor say?
Old 11-12-2014, 01:35 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I'm sending you good vibes about this. I'm currently having job problems too and I'm new to sobriety. You're doing great on day nine.
Old 11-12-2014, 03:38 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Life is an unlikely miracle.

It's good that you have a philosophical outlook on this, IJM.

Hope it all turns out for the best, my friend.
Old 11-12-2014, 03:46 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I've been under the possible threat of losing my job for months now. It stinks knowing that you're being scrutinized and your days may be numbered. Everyday is uncertain, but kNOWING there is a closer certainty to losing a job is really wearing. I'm finding it most wearing on my self esteem and after several months of looking for a new job while wondering about whether today or tomorrow may be my last.... Well it has sure taken a toll.

Hang in there and do your best. The everything happens as it should mindset is a good one to keep, but I know how lousy it feels.
Old 11-12-2014, 04:15 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hang in there we are cheering for you.
Old 11-12-2014, 06:44 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Don't you have procedures or at least a check list? If not, then you need to be proactive and make one. Be an innovator and prepare yourself a check list of all the requirements and use it as a guideline to make sure you cover everything. Also have a list of the DON'TS handy as well.
It's called a check list so you can check off a topic when you cover it. When all the blocks are checked you will have covered all of the required topics.
Make yourself a bunch of copies and keep them as a record for each call you handle. Have client date/time etc on 'your' form.
Just a suggestion.

Congrats on nine days.
Old 11-12-2014, 10:10 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Day 9 is fantastic!! Keep it going!!
Old 11-12-2014, 10:13 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on nine days sober! I hope you keep your job.
Old 11-12-2014, 10:23 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope that things work out and you keep your job.
Old 11-12-2014, 10:39 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
I will NOT drink to that!

I like LBrain's idea of making your checklist, that's definitely a sure fire way to make sure you cover everything. Keep up the good work with no alcohol!