Notices

Three Days Sober after Twenty Eight Years

Old 11-10-2014, 07:17 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Three Days Sober after Twenty Eight Years

Just typing that title is a stark reminder of how I've taken my life for granted. I've drank alcohol on a regular basis for 28 years . . . and, the scary part is that my drinking has been really intense/abusive the past 9-10.

Over the past three years I have been diagnosed with gastritis, GERD/Acid reflux, fatty liver, esophagitis, dyspepsia . . . I am physically broke, yet surprised it's not worse. And, of course I kept drinking because I am an alcoholic.

What makes this so troubling, why I am so disappointed in myself, is that I have a wife and a young daughter. I remember when she was born I said to myself that would be the night I would quit drinking.

Of course, I have said that on so many nights, including at least 100 after the night she was born.

Anyway . . . something has clicked (I hope). I've managed to stop on and off again over the past year, and I now am ready to quit.

I feel pretty good all things considered (and of course that's why my AV tried to trick me into drinking tonight).

I hope the damage I've inflicted on my body will heal. I am scared, particularly about the damage caused by acid reflux.

And thankfully, I've been a pretty high-performing alcoholic. I've managed to hide it from most, except my wife. She knows, and won't stand by me much longer. There's no point in watching someone slowly poison themself.

Lastly . . . I am so thankful I found this place. I lurked for a while, then joined, and finally felt the need to share my story. I've learned a lot from the posts of members current and past. Thank you.
Old 11-10-2014, 07:19 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Pressure makes diamonds

Welcome! You will find alot of great support here.
Old 11-10-2014, 07:29 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome! Congratulations on your 3 days. I wish many more sober and joy filled days for you.
Old 11-10-2014, 07:31 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Welcome rjask and thanks for sharing. I could have written a similar story to yours, so could many others here. A lot of the past makes no sense at all, but we also have SR in common as a place of tremendous support. Our bodies can heal from quite a bit if we let it and give it time. Hope you can stick around and learn a lot.
Old 11-10-2014, 07:34 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
instant

Hey Welcome to SR. Great decision. It helps to put the health worries and blame to one side and just do what is needed.
Old 11-10-2014, 07:36 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome
Old 11-10-2014, 07:36 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR rjask

D
Old 11-10-2014, 07:40 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Glad you're here!

Keep coming back!
Old 11-10-2014, 07:43 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Congrats on 3 days RJ!

I was right where you were physically and mentally. Few knew what a problem I had, I am single and I started at the bar and then went home to really get ripped.

Something with me finally clicked too, after a particularly bad night and I have 19 months sober now.

I know it is hard, but it is worth it. The worst day sober is always better than the best day drunk.

SR and the members have a wealth of information and support. SR, and my decision to stop, made me the sober man I am today!
Old 11-10-2014, 07:52 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DrakeCKC View Post
I started at the bar and then went home to really get ripped
I craved drinking alone these last few years. The happiest part of the day for me, was the evening, after my wife and daughter were asleep. Then I would get ripped.

And each morning I did my best to hide the hangover and stink of alcohol from my wife.

Plenty of guilt to work through I am afraid . . . .
Old 11-10-2014, 07:53 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone for the well wishes. I intend to stick around.
Old 11-10-2014, 08:24 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

welcome rjast, i am a new poster here too. Good luck with your goals!
Old 11-10-2014, 08:27 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome rjask
You've found a great place to help with the new path you have chosen.
Always remember in times when you want to start drinking again just hang on and wait it out for 20 min. Once it passes you will be so happy you didn't give in. These times are exercises training your mind to become the person you have always wanted to be. Before you know it drinking will become an uncomfortable thought.
Good luck to you
Old 11-10-2014, 08:49 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome
Old 11-10-2014, 08:58 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I drank for 27 years. I had stomach ulcers, among many other issues. I got sober a little over a year ago and I have never felt healthier in my life. You can do this!!! Welcome!