Notices

30 Day Facebook Post

Old 11-10-2014, 03:26 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

30 Day Facebook Post

So i'm not trying to get ahead of myself here, but I am feeling good and believe 30 days alcohol free is just around the corner. = 23/11/2014

I just wanted to get everyones opinion on this post I have been working on to share with my facebook friends and family.

Do you think I am posting too soon about this?

"By know means have I beaten this addiction, but today marks 30 days without alcohol.

For those of you who know me, you will realise this is a massive milestone for me.

I’d like to thank everyone who has supported me the last month and wish to apologize to those who I have hurt, lost contact with and/or disappointed over the last 10 years.

For those who think it’s okay to binge drink on a regular basis, tread carefully, because it can lead to bigger and badder things."

----------
Dicky
Old 11-10-2014, 03:34 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Personally, it does sound like you would be getting ahead of yourself...like you were "declaring victory" after only 30 days. I would also not want to publicly disclose something like that. Now, if you think it would help your accountability, that's something only you would know. Congratulations on your sobriety!
Old 11-10-2014, 03:36 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

IMHO i would just keep things to yourself and not broadcast to those who are simply facebook friends. This is a great accomplishment and know from experience, as we all do, how hard that first month can be. Share with close friends and loved ones on a one to one level not on social media. Dont get complacent with milestones as you can easily let your guard down when we reach them. Just my thoughts. Great job!
Old 11-10-2014, 03:38 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It is your first FB post about your recovery, yes? Make it all about your 30 day success. Own it and celebrate it. Leave the heavy stuff for other posts. There is plenty of time for those.
Old 11-10-2014, 03:43 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I don't 'do' facebook, but if I did I wouldn't advertise my sobriety milestone on it. What if someone sees it that isn't your friend? People can use that kind of stuff against you. Tell close family and friends, if you must, but I wouldn't put it on facebook.
Old 11-10-2014, 03:48 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I wouldn't post anything about it at all, ever, on FB...
Old 11-10-2014, 03:49 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

facebook is a PERMANENT PUBLIC RECORD.
Anything you post is available to anyone who wants the info. For instance, a prospective employer doing a background check. Or just some schmoe who wants to harass you for no reason.
Share your successes with those close to you. Don't advertise to the world you are an alcoholic. That's just my opinion. Social media can be very dangerous.
Old 11-10-2014, 04:23 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

I would definitely not do that.
Old 11-10-2014, 04:30 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

It might be tempting to post this on facebook...but I would not do it. There are lots of other ways to celebrate. Many of us "over-shared" early on and wish we had not. You have nothing to lose by NOT posting it. Steer clear of broadcasting this, IMO.
Old 11-10-2014, 04:34 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Ultimately it's up to you, but I'd consider the wider picture - once it's out there it's out - you're a business owner - I think you need to factor that into any decision Dicky

D
Old 11-10-2014, 04:35 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I agree with others - be proud of your 30 days (when it comes), share it with friends and family, but maybe let sobriety settle in a bit before make it public record. Just a thought...
Old 11-10-2014, 05:53 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks heaps guys!

I have decided against doing this, I was not looking at the bigger picture at all.

Old 11-10-2014, 06:04 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I would not put it on Facebook for many reasons. I do think it's a "get a load of me!!!!! Meeeeee!" Thing. Also, my struggle with alcohol is very personal. I don't want people judging me or gossiping. I guess live by example? I do NOT plan on relapsing, but just for conversation sake, say I did, I'd be the Facebook tabloid story of the week. Facebook is just too much drama. If you're a business owner, no way.
Old 11-10-2014, 06:05 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I would just hate for it to come back to bite you in the butt.
Old 11-10-2014, 06:07 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Take everyone's advice - leave it off Facebook. Here's a question: would you put a post on the wall for all to read if you relapse too ? Leave it all off there. I got off FB 2 or 3 years ago and left it for good - nothing but nonsense and trouble. Just focus on yourself and give it hell Congrats on your progress so far.
Old 11-10-2014, 06:11 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
~sb

why not wait two more weeks....then consider it again.....put it aside for now......
Old 11-10-2014, 06:17 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Like the term "If you have to ask, you can't afford it" if you have to ask, don't post it.