Notices

Been lurking, now saying "Hi".

Old 11-10-2014, 08:19 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Been lurking, now saying "Hi".

I've been in and out of SR for several months while trying to decide whether or not to quit drinking. I've been drinking more or less daily the past 2.5 years, hating the hangovers, but being terrified of the lonely evenings.

I guess I started after a bad break-up (I was dumped, then we were on again off again for the next 2 years). I blamed him for my drinking problem, and haven't really been able to take responsibility until a few weeks ago. The past 2 years have been filled with bad decisions, including DUIs, spontaneous dating (never a good idea with heavy beer goggles), more surprise visits to my ex than I can count (he always let me in, but told me recently that he has considered selling his - ground floor, easy access - apartment and moving somewhere I wouldn't find him).

About a month ago I woke up a Sunday morning to find that I had booked plane tickets and a hotel room in New York for myself for 2 weeks this Christmas - not sure if I was thinking to do a "Leaving Las Vegas" or "It's a Wonderful Life". The trip is non-refundable (of course, drunk me knows I would have bailed otherwise).

I ended my drinking career this weekend, with a 6-pack and 8 bottles of wine. Had my last glass sometime during the early hours of Sunday, needless to say the rest of the day was terrible. Heart palpitations, sweating, shaking to the point where it was difficult to get to the kitchen or bathroom. Just a typical Sunday after a weekend of solitude.

Feeling a bit better today, have been trying to avoid co-workers (despite showering, I really smell like acetone I think). Spending my last half hour at work manning up to get a soda rather than a 6-pack on my way home.

Sooo... Now to get through day 2. Wish me Luck, I already feel like I know you, and you seem to root for every lost soul that wanders in here.

It's so obvious I'm an alcoholic... There, I said it.
Old 11-10-2014, 08:29 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
I will NOT drink to that!

Welcome! Now it's your turn to make yourself the best person you can be. Keep coming back for the support here, I have found it to be very comforting. If you are having a weak moment, talk to us.

You got past day 1, that's a great start!
Old 11-10-2014, 08:31 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you. Funny that joining an anonymous internet forum is one of the scariest things I've done in a long time. Do like it in here, though.
Old 11-10-2014, 08:36 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi right back, Stella. I very much enjoyed hearing about you. Thank you for sharing. Without a doubt, I find you to be both impressive and constructive. It seems like you're rationally taking stock of the negatives of engaging in drinking, which is great.

My personal addiction experience is not with alcohol, but I believe that I closely understand the fear of what seems like sobriety's inevitable resulting loneliness. In what you describe, it seems like alcohol is an incredibly powerful force in your life. It is the same with me with my addiction. For practically every single moment of every day I am either thinking about or trying to force myself to stop thinking about the source of my addiction. The threat of emptiness that results from that not being present was and is terrifying, but I'm honestly making it through, and I know that you can too. I really do believe that.

I'd root for you if you were lost, but I don't think you are. I think that you're strong, and I think that you're smart. I'm rooting for you still.
Old 11-10-2014, 08:39 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Stellllaaaaaaaa! Ever seen that play/movie?

"I ended my drinking career this weekend..."

Good for you. Someone is here 24/7/365 to help you make that permanent. Welcome to the lifeboat. Grab an oar and row.
Old 11-10-2014, 08:42 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

SP,
welcome.

when it's obvious, and you can see it, and you KNOW it, you're in a good place for starting in another direction.
Old 11-10-2014, 08:51 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome, StellaPolaris, to the posting side of SR.

SR is solidly in your corner; as trachs said, SR is 24/7/365 - there is always here who cares and wants to see you succeed.
Old 11-10-2014, 08:54 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome Stella. I was heavily drunk one night when I received an email from an old friend to invite me to his wedding. The next morning, I checked my email, saw it and knew I couldn't go because it was a destination wedding in Barbados for a week which I couldn't afford.

Then underneath that email, I saw a confirmation email from Air Canada for a flight for 2 to Barbados as well as a confirmation for a weeks stay at a resort. $5000 total, all paid for with Mastercard which already had a massive debt on it. I booked a weeks vacation for 2 and had no recollection.

I can relate to your trip to New York booked in a blackout. Madness. No surprise I was bankrupt two years later.
Old 11-10-2014, 08:54 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Welcome to SR. Congratulations on your decision to live a sober life. For most of us it takes a little practice to get it right, but it is SOOOOO worth it!

You can do this.
Old 11-10-2014, 08:56 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome Stella. I am in day 2 now and it is not easy. hang in there!
Old 11-10-2014, 09:00 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome Stella! I'm glad you joined us. You'll find lots of support and useful info here.

You've made a smart decision to stop drinking. It's hard at first but it does get easier the longer you're sober.
Old 11-10-2014, 09:25 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome aboard Stella! Feel free to give us a shout anytime you need us.
Old 11-10-2014, 10:11 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome Stella,

Perhaps ebay the NY trip for a slight discount? Congrats on Day 1! Admitting you have a problem is the first step.

Jwalker
Old 11-10-2014, 10:11 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Wow. Thank you all for the warm welcome. I'm a bit curious, Wastinglife, did you go..? I'm currently planning my trip, but know that while I was booking the hotel and plane I probably planned on being drunk the whole time (no fan of Christmas). I'm a very sociable drunk, so no qualms. Now, however, I'm a bit ambivalent. I know I planned on this trip being my big "reboot", thinking it could maybe spark some joy or something in me. Lately I feel like the days are gray and endless, and I know that's the alcohol talking.

While stumbling through this forum, I actually feel rather blessed. I know I haven't been drinking for very long compared to many of you, and I still remember my "pre-alcohol" days. I used to binge eat though, so I guess there's always been some kind of dependency, but eating didn't really take away my joy for life, like alcohol has.

I'm glad I have a busy week ahead, mostly with non-alcoholic activities (apart from a dinner with work, but I'll be driving anyway). The weekend though..! It's kind of looming ahead of me. No family or (non-drinking)friends to turn to, so I may need some advice. I know I need to have something planned.
Old 11-10-2014, 10:26 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I'm feeling really optimistic now, thanks to you guys.

I know how my days go though:
Day 1 (typically Sunday): Hungover, no need to drink (shaking, so probably not even possible without personal assistant and a straw)
Day 2: Starting to feel better (apart from stinking and sweaty hands)
Day 3: Tuesday = movie club (everyone has 1 beer, I skip the movie and have several)
Day 4: Messed up yesterday, so might as well go to beer club quiz night...
Day 5: I'll try again Sunday, just need to get through the week...

Good to be aware of the usual suspects, will not fall into trap this week.
Old 11-10-2014, 12:04 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Yes, I went. My girlfriend at the time came with me and I knew the family hosting the wedding and a bunch of other people going. The thing no else knew was that I was an alcoholic, not just a 'party animal' anymore and I already had $20,000 in credit debt. This was 2008 and drinking vodka had become a daily thing at night home alone.

I drank all day for 7 days straight (all inclusive resort). It was paradise for an alcoholic because everyone else was pretty much drinking all day too and it was all already paid for so other people had no clue how much you drank.

My drinking got worse after that trip. Re-think it.
Old 11-10-2014, 01:03 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to the posting side of things Stella

D
Old 11-10-2014, 01:11 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Stella,

I think your life will become much more manageable in recovery.
Old 11-10-2014, 02:08 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hi
Old 11-10-2014, 02:50 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

You are going to rock this. Just watch.