Notices

Hello

Old 11-09-2014, 07:43 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hello

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this site thought I would say hi.

A bit of my story- I'm 28 and have been over drinking for the better part of the past decade. I have been a bartender for seven years now. I have always taken little breaks from drinking here and there and never really felt like I had a real problem(knew I over drank). Well, over the past year and a half/ two years my drinking increased to well past heavy. I'm not sure I have a single day in there I didn't have a drink. I decided a couple weeks ago I needed to take a break. I went throughout three nights with little to no sleep. I was feeling like hell and decided to go to a doctor who ran some blood tests and told me I was at risk of developing liver issues gave me prescription and set up an appointment with someone else to follow up. Later that night dts set in hard with hallucinations. Thankfully I called a friend who got me to a hospital. I was checked in for about a week in a detox program. I checked out on the 30th of Oct. I have been sober ever since(9 days) and just feel lost. I have gone to a couple AA meetings but feel out of place. While everyone has been very nice they are all a bit older and seem have been through much worse then I have. I am scheduled to meet with a therapist later this week.
I know I need to stay sober and while difficult does not seem impossible. I have been reading this site quite a bit this past week and it has probably been what has been the most helpful so far.
I did go in and quit my job as a bartender after I got out of detox. I knew I wouldn't stay sober there.

Anyway thanks to everyone who has posted here. Reading your stories have been really helpful letting me know another people are going through the same thing.
Old 11-09-2014, 07:46 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome AxiomDC

you'll find a real mix of people here - old fogeys like myself and young 'uns alike.

Maybe a different AA meeting might suit you better?

D
Old 11-09-2014, 07:47 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR! :-)
Old 11-09-2014, 07:53 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Thankful for this community

Welcome. This is a great place for all kinds of reasons. I hope you visit often.
DTs must be scary. Thankfully, I never experienced them. Take good care.
Old 11-09-2014, 11:52 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hello Axiom! You are young (like the song) and now is a good time to start quitting and stick with it. Congrats, and keep checking out this site for support, it is there for you!
Old 11-10-2014, 12:21 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I am 10 months sober and still lost. I don't know who I am really. My life and identity was so wrapped up with alcohol for so long, a sober me is a mystery. What you are feeling is quite common, especially in the early days. Read up on Post-Acute Withdrawal Syndrome. It will take a while for your brain to adjust to being sober.
Old 11-10-2014, 03:06 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Life is an unlikely miracle.

Welcome. Axiom

Another old fogey here. Plenty of younger ones on this forum though, they will be along later to say hi I expect.

I think you have made an excellent start on your sober journey, and you are young enough to have a lot of life choices left too.

Always post if you are struggling, that's what we are here for

You are right -it is not impossible to say sober ! It's good to be well -informed, but I think you know that already.

Look forward to your future posts.
Old 11-10-2014, 04:11 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!
Old 11-10-2014, 04:45 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
~sb

DC has a lot of Young People in AA meetings. Call the intergroup office at 202-966-9115 and ask about them! If you call between 10 am and about 2 pm, ask for Luella.
Old 11-10-2014, 04:57 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

My experience is that by letting go of my judgement and opening my heart and mind... It's those older AA's who have been through a lot more and a lot worse who have been the strongest influence to my sobriety.
Old 11-10-2014, 05:01 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family.
Old 11-10-2014, 08:17 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi, I fully understand where you're coming from, with regards to feeling like you don't fit in. I'm 29 and have the same worries about AA which is why I haven't attended a meeting yet and perhaps never will.

I just wanted to let you know there are other younger people on here too, but also that the older generation have a lot more experience and good advice, and the best thing we can probably do is listen to them, and hope that we can help ourselves before we get deeper and deeper into the clutches of alcoholism.

Good luck
Old 11-10-2014, 09:28 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone for your responses. I definitely respect and am listening to everyone in AA.

Sunsetred, while I still a bit out of place there I would suggest stopping by an AA meeting. Everyone in my area has been very welcoming.

I will definitely check out that number thanks SugarBear1.
Old 11-10-2014, 09:34 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Hi and welcome AxiomDC

you'll find a real mix of people here - old fogeys like myself and young 'uns alike.

Maybe a different AA meeting might suit you better?

D
Dee, if you are calling yourself an old fogey, what am I???!!!! You are a spring chicken, my friend, in the prime of your life!!!!! (All kidding aside, even with a decade over you, I am still feeling great almost every day.
Old 11-10-2014, 09:36 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Axiom, welcome to SR, and congratulations on 9 sober days.

SR is 24/7/365; lean on us any time.