Notices

Why are alcoholics liars?

Old 11-10-2014, 01:52 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by Hawks View Post
Lies work.

Imagine you had to explain yourself in court after putting your car into a pole and running off before the cops got there.

Stand up in court and say "well your honour, I polished off 12 beers and half a bottle of scotch, then I decided that a little drunk drive was in order, so I drove to the store and got another six pack and after I fell asleep at the wheel I smashed my car into that pole.
Besides your honour I'm a total scoff law and I really don't care at all for societies laws and have zero regard for other peoples safety or property "

Or produce a piece of paper from a mechanic saying that the cause of the crash was a defective accelerator cable.

Tell a lie... Walk free.

Tell the truth... Go to jail (do not pass go, do not collect $200)
Okey dokey... let's play 'what if'...

Unfortunately the prosecutor was right on the ball and produced CCTV footage of you drunk in various locations, then entering your car on the drivers side and driving away...along with receipts that prove you purchased said liquor on said day.

Not to mention the BAC reading that would have been taken...and witness statements...

Truth trumps lies

D
Old 11-10-2014, 01:53 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by NoelleR View Post
What a sad place to be; a sad outlook on life; a sad perspective. I way prefer my positive outlook and my personal experience; liars lie, some alcoholics are liars (therefore they lie), but not all, not even most in my experience.

(o:
NoelleR
It's OK Noelle...You are generalizing that I have a "sad outlook on life" and a "sad perspective" from this one particular posting. In reality, I am a fairly optimistic person. So, in essence, you have done to me what you have accused me of doing to others. Generalize. Everyone does it.
Old 11-10-2014, 01:54 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I don't believe it's impossible
It may take a little time but I think truth trumps lies.

D
I hope so Dee! Thanks
Old 11-10-2014, 01:56 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  
Administrator

I've been maligned before, more than once.
My (sober) reputation got me through AF

D
Old 11-10-2014, 01:56 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ArtFriend View Post
. I didn't think that I would have define my statement so carefully. My bad.
I don't wish to be pedantic AF but I really have to draw your attention to a small detail here.

You missed out "to" between have and define.
Old 11-10-2014, 01:59 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Hawks - grammar nazi. Thanks. Did you understand the sentence without the "to" there?
Old 11-10-2014, 02:00 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Survival.
To keep our secrets, hide our shame and facilitate the next and the next drink.
G
Old 11-10-2014, 02:06 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

I was a terrible liar most of the time. I tended to push people away rather than make commitments I couldn't or wouldn't keep. I hated lying. Most of my lies were to cover up the drinking, so as not to reveal the true nature of the situation. And that was typically to protect a job situation, keep family from worrying, or keep nosy family members from prying.
Old 11-10-2014, 02:14 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ArtFriend View Post
Hawks - grammar nazi. Thanks. Did you understand the sentence without the "to" there?
Pedant says "I did. Or I maybe lieing and don't want to admit that I'm now more thoroughly confused than ever"
Old 11-10-2014, 02:20 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  
Professional zombie fighter

Okay, can I just say I'm really surprised by the answers to this thread in regard to the title question?

I've always felt like my lying and my drinking were related, like they came from the same place, like I said earlier. If I was capable of living honestly I don't think I would drink like I do. I'm really surprised so few people feel the same way. It is always so interesting to see people's responses to stuff on here. I had absolutely no idea, for example, that there could be active alcoholics who don't lie or don't make a habit of lying. (I don't speak for AF, or anybody else, obviously obviously, but I personally cop to having a bleak outlook, haha.)

How do you do that? I guess you just don't lie to others? I mean, you've still got to be lying to yourself to be drinking, right?

I guess what I'm saying is, this is a very interesting thread.
Old 11-10-2014, 02:33 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

I
Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Okey dokey... let's play 'what if'...

Unfortunately the prosecutor was right on the ball and produced CCTV footage of you drunk in various locations, then entering your car on the drivers side and driving away...along with receipts that prove you purchased said liquor on said day.

Not to mention the BAC reading that would have been taken...and witness statements...

Truth trumps lies

D
That could happen too.

What if Dee is secretly an informer for the legal system??

Careful everyone... I've got my suspicions.

Although I have been known to be wrong... From time to time. Or lie ... Geez this is complex.
Old 11-10-2014, 02:39 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Personally I have Soberwolf lie for me, and it makes it a lot easier.

Seriously, I may lie to myself but I don't think I do. I gave up the lies when I got married. I used to do very stupid things, but I always owed up to it and took the consequences. My wife calls it "the open book". Whatever you want to know, you just ask and you get the honest answer. It is not very popular, most people don't like truth, I certainly don't some of the time. If there is ever a situation I don't want to tell someone something because it will hurt them, I just don't answer. I hate when people lie. It does not work.
Funny very short story. I had a problem with the IRS, sent them a letter explaining it, and ended up paying an enormous penalty. I told them I had made a mistake, it was on me, and I rectified it as soon as I found out. I was honest, and it was true. After three CPA's and two Tax attorneys failed to get me off of it I, asked the Agent what could I have done to avoid the penalty. He told me, "you should have lied". In retrospect, I should have, it would have saved me a lot of legal fees and money. Next time, I will have Soberwolf take care of the IRS.
Old 11-10-2014, 02:44 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by herradura View Post
After three CPA's and two Tax attorneys failed to get me off of it I, asked the Agent what could I have done to avoid the penalty. He told me, "you should have lied". In retrospect, I should have, it would have saved me a lot of legal fees and money. Next time, I will have Soberwolf take care of the IRS.
Old 11-10-2014, 02:46 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hawks View Post
Pedant says "I did. Or I maybe lieing and don't want to admit that I'm now more thoroughly confused than ever"
Oh dear - turn about is fair play

Or maybe I "WAS" "LYING".

I can be a spelling nazi too.
Old 11-10-2014, 02:49 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  

I wonder if members of congress, CEOs, lawyers, big business owners, managers, supervisors, insurance company appraisers, medical insurance providers, news reporters, presidents of the united states and other foreign leaders wonder why they lie all the time too.

Humility is the answer. You can't get ahead with much humility. And you can't get sober without it. Let's list our faults then...
Old 11-10-2014, 02:50 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Just want to put this out there....alcoholics are some of most honest, sincere, caring, loving people I have ever personally known. Yes we may have a history of dishonesty as a survival mechanism or while in active addiction but we are really good people deep down inside. If still in active addiction we are still not bad people...just sick.

God don't make trash! We are all innately good loving people! The fact that we are on SR trying to be better people says A LOT about the kind of people we all are.

I know...I didn't need to say this for YOU (or anyone reading this) but after my post earlier...I needed to say that for ME. I tend throw myself under the bus sometimes. I'm trying to treat myself kinder and forgive myself.

LB3000
Old 11-10-2014, 03:02 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  
Do your best

Right, Everybody has told lies i dont mean that in a bad way but if no one here has never told a lie they are a liar

Truth doesnt just trump a lie it demolishes lies

I am big on truth always have been have i told a lie before yes i stand here and honestly say i have lied before i feel better saying that id feel stupid lying about it

Hence the truth will set you free
Old 11-10-2014, 03:07 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  
One Day At A Time

Originally Posted by NoelleR View Post
Liars lie, and yes, some/many alcoholics lie, but alcohol does not create the behavior.

Re: #1 above. Well, I guess that depends on the alcoholics you know. I, personally, have known quite a few, even active, alcoholics who do not lie.

Re: #2 above. Since this is based on your experience, it is opinion and not fact; perhaps you might want to widen your group of acquaintances. See my reply to #1.

(o:
NoelleR
My group of 'acquaintances'.... I am going by meetings of AA and my friends in the fellowship. So yes, it is my opinion. But these people are now fine examples of living an honest sober life, i was referring to those in active alcoholism,not recovery.

Thanks for your opinion, but I don't need to widen my group.
Old 11-10-2014, 03:27 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LBrain View Post
I wonder if members of congress, CEOs, lawyers, big business owners, managers, supervisors, insurance company appraisers, medical insurance providers, news reporters, presidents of the united states and other foreign leaders wonder why they lie all the time too. Humility is the answer. You can't get ahead with much humility. And you can't get sober without it. Let's list our faults then...
^^^ True! Maybe everyone lies but alcoholics/addicts and people in recovery are the only people who ever try to stop and be honest. WE ROCK! :-)
Old 11-10-2014, 03:36 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  
Do your best

Originally Posted by herradura View Post
Personally I have Soberwolf lie for me, and it makes it a lot easier.
You got that the wrong way round