Notices

took first step...

Old 11-10-2014, 05:48 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

took first step...

So I contacted a recovery place today. No I can't do this alone, yes I need some help with this. My question is, how soon can I expect to get started. May be the instant gratification in me but I also seem to lose this motivation as time and bad feelings pass. I don't need detox. What were your experiences with beginning treatment?
Old 11-10-2014, 05:57 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Fellow traveler

Originally Posted by whatcouldbe View Post
So I contacted a recovery place today. No I can't do this alone, yes I need some help with this. My question is, how soon can I expect to get started. May be the instant gratification in me but I also seem to lose this motivation as time and bad feelings pass. I don't need detox. What were your experiences with beginning treatment?
Treatment or recovery? They really are different things. Do you have a start date for your treatment? For starting, I would suggest going to a couple of meetings, and also take care of any personal business that you can. The first to get you used to the environment, as well as give you some idea of what you might do when you return. The second so you can focus on yourself and your treatment/recovery while you are there. People who benefit most from treatment are those that suck the marrow out of it.

To maintain motivation remind yourself as often as neccesary what is driving you to do this. Nobody gets into treatment by walking by it and saying "gee, that looks like fun." I work in a treatment center, we don't recruit.

Welcome, and good luck. (Actually, good choices, but that's a whole 'nother conversation.)
Old 11-10-2014, 06:00 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi.
It is a learning experience for most as we usually don’t know what we don’t know.
The bottom line is we don’t pick up the first drink and the ways to go about that.
Most rehabs are based on AA teachings and are valuable IF we are teachable and can follow directions instead of generally being undisciplined by doing things “our way.”

BE WELL
Old 11-10-2014, 06:26 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Not sure if I need treatment or recovery??? Waiting for a call back...
Old 11-10-2014, 06:34 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Whatever the outcome, embrace it. From your earlier posts you seem hesitant to "do whatever it takes" to get sober. I'm not sure if you imagined it would be easier than you thought to quit, or if you were hoping to quit without undergoing too much discomfort or change in your life. But change you must, however you can manage it.

Sobriety is not drinking. Recovery is learning to live life sober and enjoying it.

So take what gives you the latter.
Old 11-10-2014, 06:36 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I think they will answer all your questions before you sign up.

There are inpatient and outpatient treatment plans. Choose the one you have the time, money, and need for. An intensive inpatient program would be ideal for total immersion in recovery.