Notices

Common Anxieties That I Use To Have

Old 10-22-2014, 07:30 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Living Sober

Common Anxieties That I Use To Have

I wanted to share one of the more common anxieties that I use to have when I drank. This was pretty much all of the time if the circumstances were there, and I was just curious how common this is.

For example:

When I would attend a small dinner party, or some other small get together, I’d often (always) get a bit anxious that there won't be enough alcohol. Even if I had already tuned-up before I arrived.

If it was a group of 2-3 couples for example, and I learned that the host only purchased a 12-pack of beer for the evening, that would actually disturb me the entire night, even if I already had a decent amount of alcohol already in me. Just the fact that there’s only a modest limit of beer left would run through my mind the entire time, and sort of put a damper on evening. I’d actually get the desire to leave and go home where my booze was plentiful. (Just another booze annoyance that I don't miss.)

Is this a common trait?
Old 10-22-2014, 07:48 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I would always monitor the booze situation when I went to other peoples' houses. If it wasn't much of a drinking occasion, I would be counting down the minutes until I could get home to really get my drink on.
Old 10-22-2014, 07:51 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

yes, definitely. it certainly helps to hear that other people share(d) some of the same crazinesses that dogged us. but is there any other reason why you ask?
Old 10-22-2014, 08:00 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
~sb

I used to buy some, put it in the bottom drawer of the host's fridge, then drink theirs first, knowing I had "mine" later.....

yep.
Old 10-22-2014, 08:14 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

If I thought there wasn't going to be enough alcohol I wouldn't even start drinking.
Old 10-22-2014, 08:31 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I would bring some in my purse and "top up" in the restroom...
Old 10-22-2014, 08:43 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I also brought it in my purse to drink in restroom. Sad...
Old 10-22-2014, 08:44 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I'd just leave and go get drunk.
Old 10-22-2014, 09:08 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I've done all these. Seems pretty common among us!
Old 10-22-2014, 09:19 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I would raid the hosts fridge when no one was looking and hide three to four beers in my backpack, and then keep drinking their stash.

Also annoying no matter where I went; the library, family dinner, hiking or rock climbing I needed beer or severe anxiety or depression would set it.

I am certain that many restaurant or library janitors were shocked to find dozens of tall cans in trash cans or shoved above light fixtures, where ever I could stash them..

I also drank anywhere from 10 to 15 beers at work daily and am amazed that no one noticed.. But they would ask me if I was alright when I was out of money and booze like something wasn't right lol..

Backwards way to live straight up
Old 10-22-2014, 09:32 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Yes, that is why I made sure to go to parties already drunk and I would allllllways bring my own bottle with me (as a gift to the host but really it was my bottle and it was for me only)
Old 10-22-2014, 09:34 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
A.K.A Bri

I used to have this same issue! So to be on the safe side, I'd usually bring a small bottle in my purse to sneak and drink from in the bathroom... >.< I cringe at the thought because more often than not, this made for horrifically embarrassing morning-after memories (or lack thereof.)

B
Old 10-23-2014, 08:00 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Living Sober

Thanks for the replies. I see that is a fairly common trait.
...but is there any other reason why you ask?
This forum is really the only resource that I've participated in since I've quit drinking. I knew there were common denominators with alcoholics, but I really did not realize just how common or how many.

As I read through this site, I see people with MANY of the same exact routines and traits that I had too, and I was curious about this one as well. I see I was not alone with these feelings of anxiety either, and over such a small thing too. I think that just speaks to the power of alcohol if you're (were) a problem drinker, like me. Scary stuff!

Thanks again for the replies.
Old 10-23-2014, 08:07 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
EndGame

Originally Posted by bookmaven View Post
If I thought there wasn't going to be enough alcohol I wouldn't even start drinking.
I might not even have gone. Sad.

When I got sober, there were times when I'd still be irritated that the host/hostess/destination (in my estimation) didn't stock enough booze for the people who were drinking.
Old 10-23-2014, 08:21 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Yeah, if I was drinking on a certain night and if there wasn't at least 12 beer that I had available to me, then I would be all out of sorts. I wouldn't start drinking until I had at least 12 beer - preferably more - available.
Old 10-23-2014, 08:45 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Yes, we do have this in common. Could not believe the host/hostess didn't have enough alcohol available. Also I still notice when people leave a half glass of booze on the table and leave...What's up with that. Stinkin' Thinkin'
Old 10-26-2014, 02:20 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by EndGameNYC View Post
I might not even have gone. Sad. When I got sober, there were times when I'd still be irritated that the host/hostess/destination (in my estimation) didn't stock enough booze for the people who were drinking.
I have not experienced that since I've been sober. I just feel sorry for the alcoholics who are still suffering but never upset with the host.
Old 10-26-2014, 03:05 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Life is an unlikely miracle.

Always took my own booze, so that I had a plentiful supply. So glad those days are gone, so grateful.
Old 10-26-2014, 04:46 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I would make a lame excuse, not to go,
so I could stay home and drink alone.
Old 10-26-2014, 05:58 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I can totally relate, used to happen to me all the time. When you were leaving a party did you ever get strange looks because you were taking with you the booze you brought "for the host"? I never realized how strange it was to leave a nice dinner party with half of my twelve pack or a half-bottle of wine that I carried in with me. I guess normal people just leave that behind? I needed it for the rest of the night... So glad I never have to do that again.