Notices

A broken ankle and a lost opportunity

Old 11-10-2014, 09:21 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Thomasthetank View Post
I was actually thinking about getting into this actually. I've started off selling some old games I find at car boot sales as I know a lot about what's valuable. Sold a boxed copy of Banjo-Tooie for over a hundred quid profit.

I was thinking of going into it a bit more but wasn't sure where to start? I've heard the profit margins can be rough.
PM me and ill tell you everything you need to get started and where to begin. Sell what you know is good place to start. I sell books and cosutme jewelry and make more doing that than i do at my regualr full time job. It's a full time job by itself and is A LOT of work. You basically become a business owner and have to deal with all the things they have to deal with: bad customers, returns, scams etc. Those are the outliers though most transaction go off without a hitch.
Old 11-10-2014, 09:22 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by trachemys View Post
Hey Thomas, I can give you an assignment. It might even lead to the website and business I was talking about.

How does a former alcoholic, of better than 50 years age, go about rebuilding the body, the muscle mass and strength, that he once had. I need coaching.
Truthfully it depends on what your goals are. Your age will be a factor, but with the right diet/exercise plan, you will still be ahead of 90% of guys in their twenties at the gym.

If you want to build muscle, 5-10 reps to fail is generally considered a pretty full proof way of getting a good mix of size and strength. I'd go for a 3 day split, as opposed to 5 day, because your body will take longer to heal than a younger man. You have to be careful of injury, without meeting you I can't tell your physical condition. Working to fail might be dangerous. So I would start off just pushing to moderate difficulty and seeing how your body recovers from that. If you think you can handle it, work to failure.

This has got a ton of great information regarding 3 day split ideas.
Bodybuilding.com - What Is The Best 3-Day Split For Muscle Building?

But see what you like. After all, going to the gym needs to be a fun experience for motviation, so if you really hate one lift, don't do it. There's a thousand ways to get to a muscle.

Do you have experience with free weights? If not I'd get a gym buddy or someone to show you the ropes.

I use a mix of free weights and machines, even though the latter is considered the devil by some trainers.

However if size means little to you. Lifting heavy up to 5 reps not to fail should give you pretty awesome results.

Don't fall into the bulking/cutting myth, that's for top tier bodybuilders and as we get older it gets harder to get rid of the fat.

Spend a few weeks as a trial and error period to find out your maintenance weight, be honest and keep a food blog. Then when you're confident of your daily burn number, add 300-500 calories to build muscle. Any more than that and you'll just add fat.

If you're not a regular weight lifter, your first sessions can take a long, long time to recover. Don't be surprised if you ache well over a week. That timespan goes down as you practise, don't be disheartened, everyone goes through it, give your body as much time as you need.
Old 11-10-2014, 09:24 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by downtown3 View Post
PM me and ill tell you everything you need to get started and where to begin. Sell what you know is good place to start. I sell books and cosutme jewelry and make more doing that than i do at my regualr full time job. It's a full time job by itself and is A LOT of work. You basically become a business owner and have to deal with all the things they have to deal with: bad customers, returns, scams etc. Those are the outliers though most transaction go off without a hitch.
Thanks a lot. I'm heading out right now but I'll send you a message tomorrow afternoon, I appreciate all the help.
Old 11-10-2014, 09:28 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Actually in regards to working to failure, I'd train a little lighter than that at over 50. So if you think you'd fail at 12, go for 8. It's not worth the risk of injury and the benefits are disputed.
Old 11-10-2014, 09:58 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thomas, I am so sorry this happened to you. I know how excited you were about this new job. Clearly the Universe has a different plan in mind for you.

There's lots of good advice here and SR will never be far away from you.
Old 11-10-2014, 10:37 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
not a greeter

I'm at Barnes & Noble right now getting a few new books for when I'm to be off my feet totally non weight bearing after my foot surgery Wednesday. Lots of good ideas suggested for you, I will be using some of them. The hardest part for me will be missing my students, had to sub out about 75 classes so far. They're scared though because I told them I was going to lay on the couch doing core all day lol. Best wishes on your recovery!
Old 11-10-2014, 01:44 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Administrator

Sorry about the ankle Tom - hope it heals fast

D