Notices

My new Monday routine

Old 11-09-2014, 01:43 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My new Monday routine

One big realization I've had this last month sober is that I drink to reward and I drink to numb (among other things). Mondays, I come home from work often wanting to drink in order to do both. The day is always a bear, with a lot of back to back meetings with a lot of difficult people. And it is an especially long day too.

Since alcohol is no longer a treat for me at the end of the day (and really, it was more of a trick than a treat) I have to think of other ways to get myself through the day and treat myself along the way.

So, my new routine:

1. Every Sunday I'm going to take money I would have spent on alcohol and instead buy myself a bouquet of flowers to take into the office. I'm looking at the ones I bought today and they are already making me smile.

2. I will stop at my favorite coffee shop on the way into work, and buy myself a nice, fancy coffee.

3. I will take the time the night before to pack myself an especially yummy lunch, and tuck an extra treat in there. I will set out my clothes, pack my bag, and do whatever I can the night before to ensure I'm not rushing around Monday morning.

4. I will acknowledge that given all the meetings I have on Mondays, I probably can't get much other work done--and that is okay. I deserve to take my 45 minute respite between meetings as a true break and not try to cram a bunch of work into it.

5. I will put something in the crockpot tonight for dinner tomorrow so I don't have to think about cooking when I get home.

6. If I just want to go to bed early and read, vs. doing laundry or some other task on Monday when I get home, that is okay. It's Monday, and I deserve to relax!

Any other ideas welcome!
Old 11-09-2014, 01:47 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You forgot breakfast! Coffee alone isn't good for you. Have a yummy one. It will be the foundation for your good day.
Old 11-09-2014, 01:49 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Absolutely! I actually didn't put in there because I never leave the house without it!
Old 11-09-2014, 01:51 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Sounds like a great plan, Matilda!

I especially like the crockpot dinner; walking in the door and having dinner simmering is heavenly.
Old 11-09-2014, 01:54 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I love your list, kudos to you!
Old 11-09-2014, 01:56 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

That sounds absolutely perfect! Come back tomorrow and post about how great it was. I also LOVE the Crockpot idea. I used to do that occasionally and it was the best feeling when I came home from work.
Old 11-09-2014, 02:01 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Crockpot cooking is the best! Especially pot roast. Yum.
Old 11-09-2014, 02:18 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I love this post! When I was an active drinker Monday was the absolute worst! Friday thru Sunday was a binge fest for me. Monday was painful and full of anxiety. Love ur list! Great post
Old 11-09-2014, 03:40 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I love my crockpot too! Just put a lamb and sweet potato tagine in there for dinner. Yum!
Old 11-09-2014, 03:49 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Terrific list - happy to see you optimistic and enjoying your new life.
Old 11-09-2014, 04:00 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Thankful for this community

This is a great idea. It's a great example of doing things differently, as opposed to just stopping drinking. I'm still learning this part so thanks for the inspiration! Have a great Monday. :-)