Notices

Have you lost weight ?

Old 08-18-2015, 11:14 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Adventurer

I have been sober 7+ months and have gained between 20 and 25 pounds. Not great but I feel better. My next goal will be to get in better shape.
Old 08-18-2015, 11:17 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jaynie04 View Post
I have watched the moon wax and wane and had encounters with raccoons, and deer and last week a skunk (I went in and got a handheld vacuum to scare him away. I realized the next day crazy lady standing in the driveway at 11 pm running the vacuum…might surprise anyone that I was sober!!!)..
This had me busting out laughing. Thanks for the giggle.
Old 08-18-2015, 11:55 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

When I drank, I got hungry. And I ate a lot of junk. Usually right before passing out at night. Since I quit drinking, I have lost 20 lbs, without dieting.
Old 08-18-2015, 12:57 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Just checked my weight this morning in the bathroom, I am now down just under 60 pounds from Feb 2014.

Pretty much as soon as I stopped putting crap in my body it seems my body went back to it's "normal" size. I still got some stretch marks on the abdomen from all the weight I've lost off my belly.

What can I say, I was "a beer guy" so I guess there is some truth to the "beer belly" theory

I wonder, how did you wine and vodka drinkers fare in the weight department? I'm curious. As a beer drinker who loved his 40 oz bottles, I can say for certain that it absolutely makes you puff up like a balloon.
Old 08-18-2015, 01:33 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by grubby View Post

I wonder, how did you wine and vodka drinkers fare in the weight department? I'm curious. As a beer drinker who loved his 40 oz bottles, I can say for certain that it absolutely makes you puff up like a balloon.
Alcohol is alcohol and calories are calories. I don't really think it matters what alcohol you drink.

I have noticed a bit of a muffin top in my midsection and I am primarily a wine drinker. My brother's girlfriend is a heavy vodka drinker and she refers to her bulging gut as a vodka belly.
Old 08-18-2015, 01:50 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I was mainly "a beer gal" and can totally relate to the muffin top and puffing up like a balloon, especially when the drinking is followed by huge amounts of junk food.

I'm down 19 pounds in 3 months.
Old 08-18-2015, 01:59 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

These stories are motivating! I'd love to lose 15 pounds. I realised when I stopped drinking (I'm only on day ten) and did some calculations that I was some days (3x a week) consuming 25 units and over 2000 calories. That was without the food. I'd often wake up with half a sandwich in the bed. Not attractive!
Old 08-18-2015, 02:05 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I stay away from scales because I have an eating disorder and don't want to get the wheels turning too much while I'm vulnerable. But im pretty sure im losing weight based on my clothes. I gained a lot... Drinking beer and wine, not nearly enough water, and eating crappy food makes a person gain weight. In the last two and a half weeks I've stopped the booze, dramatically increased the water, and stopped the crappy food. Last night I had a small handful of chocolate chips and the other day a candy bar but other than that I'm not eating sweets. I have never really liked them. I was also diagnosed with a serious gluten allergy (celiac disease) so I had cut out beer, but switched to wine, right in the last month. So food is limited for me. I need to exercise more but I've been working a lot and am tired on top of that. I'm giving it time. Mathematics says I should lose weight though. I am not going to focus too much on it though because that's part of my unhealthy addict thinking so I'm just trying to take care, one day at a time....
Old 08-18-2015, 03:17 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Havent lost much weight- but my stomach looks less bloated.
Old 08-18-2015, 05:00 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

40 pounds in 8 months. ...and I love food. I also walk and do yoga but really nothing intense.
Old 08-18-2015, 05:03 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

I have generally kept up the same level activity, but have lost 10 pounds over the past 9 months. I was not overweight when I quit drinking, but tended to put on weight during pumpkin beer season.
Old 08-18-2015, 06:27 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

I was on the high end of "average" at the end of my drinking career. I'd always said that my vanity would keep me from developing a drinking problem--funny how that DIDN'T work out (nothing as important as alcohol).

When I quit 2 years ago, I really thought that the weight would fall off quickly, but it didn't. My weight loss was very gradual, but I still lost 15 pounds in about a year and a half (balancing an ice cream indulgence with semi-regular work-outs). I'm now at the low end of the average weight range for my height, and I like the way my clothes fit, especially sans beer bloat.
Old 08-18-2015, 06:41 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

I've lost a bit, but not sure how much. Will hop on a weigh scale next time I'm in town (they're all over the place here). Last time I weighed myself, I was 72.3kg... uggh, no good. Around 60kg is good with me.

Thinking about that, why doesn't the West do that, and put weigh scales every where? Seriously, in front of nearly every 7/11 there's a weigh scale, several of them in each mall, etc. They're all over the place, and I think that's actually a good thing. Helps everyone stay in check.
Old 08-18-2015, 06:54 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

As I go to bed logging the cheesecake I just ate into my 'myfitnesspal' calorie watching app.... I think I may be starting to see why I haven't lost significant weight in sobriety despite the reduction in calories of not drinking.... Lol.

I suppose having pie for breakfast several days a week also doesn't help....

Ah well. I'm sober.

Old 08-18-2015, 07:09 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

It's been a year and I am 10 lbs lighter than I was back then.
Old 08-18-2015, 07:16 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

I first started to give up booze about a year ago, but it didn't really stick until I finally had enough and haven't had a drink since November (and don't plan to ever again). I would always buy garbage food when I drank so I ended up packing on weight and got myself up to around 300 pounds. I had been trying to lose weight since last April anyway, mainly because my health was suffering greatly, and since then I have lost over 80 pounds. I use Myfitnesspal too to log in what I eat and make sure I walk/jog at least an hour per day so I really changed most aspects of my life.
I know that I lost most of that weight after November and I wouldn't be as dedicated if I was still drinking. I still want to lose more (6'2 and supposedly my ideal weight is less than 194 pounds) and I feel that as long as I stay away from alcohol, eat right, and exercise I should be able to get there.
Old 08-18-2015, 08:36 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

On my last quits I lost weight because I was eating as I went into the quit. so once I quit, the organs could devote time to shedding the fat they had to ignore to get the liquor out. With the one quit, 18 months ago, which lasted 30 days, I lost weight effortlessly. This time around, I got admitted for the first time to the hospital with acidosis. This is binge related and has to do with being malnourished. The drink eventually causes your hunger mechanism to shut down. I was trying to eat during the five day binge, but I just could not put any down. Besides, when I did, I threw it up. I was throwing up water. There can be no silver lining in that cloud, since I was near death, but for those who want to know, I lost a ton of weight-maybe 10 to 15 pounds which put me at a nice, ideal weight for my body type. I was even getting compliments from those who did not know. That was most people.

The night I went into the hospital, I remember walking up the stairs in size 8 skinny jeans and they fell to my ankles. I wasn't emaciated looking, but whatever.

So, no. This time, I've probably gained. In fact, I know I have. At the end of the drinking, I did have the bloated stomach and bloated face, but everything else was slim. Now the bloated face is gone and I'll take that any day. Stomach is probably more bloated, but this time with junky food. Since quitting, I've had tastes for sweets and cokes, something I didn't crave for while drinking because of the sugar in vodka.

I need to workout. AS sad and horrible as it sounds, I'm still slightly under what I was regularly carrying around, even before my big drinking day, thanks to that last binge. If I keep eating like I am, though, I'm not going to lose. I am happy with the bloat in my face being gone.
Old 08-19-2015, 02:48 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

No.

I replaced my alcohol addiction with food addiction. I am working through that though
Old 08-19-2015, 03:17 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gilmer View Post
Have I lost weight?

NO!
This is me. I have actually gained weight because I've been letting myself overdo the ice cream at night. I'm just over 30 days so as of now I'm telling myself ice cream us better tgan beer. When I hit 90 days and feela llittle more stable in my sobriety I'll broaden my focus to my eating habits...
Old 08-19-2015, 03:31 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by kamm View Post
This is me. I have actually gained weight because I've been letting myself overdo the ice cream at night. I'm just over 30 days so as of now I'm telling myself ice cream us better tgan beer. When I hit 90 days and feela llittle more stable in my sobriety I'll broaden my focus to my eating habits...
Had to work out especially hard when I first quit to lose weight. This was due to me stuffing my face with sugary food I now had a craving for. Now I eat well. And the weight is falling off