Notices

5 weeks

Old 11-09-2014, 09:52 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

5 weeks

5 weeks ago about this same time of day I made my cry to make room on the wagon for me, and of course you all did. Our wagon needs new shocks 'cause it's a bumpy ride

In that post I recognized I had forgotten I was alcoholic. I had no fear of that first beer with the old friend, nor days later when I had another one with dinner. I had allowed alcohol back into my life without a problem. Then one day I was angry and stressed out about work and said eff it and set out to hide from it with all the beer I could drink and so began THAT bs again.

My plan to correct this mistake was to begin aa once I settled down at around a month sober. I KNOW I can quit drinking (it's easy, I've done it 100's of times ) but I can't stay sober. My thought on this is I never learned to deal with life sober, with people that know what I am trying to learn and that have been successful.

So at 5 weeks today I have been reading a good deal on aa this morning. I have made it through the brutal stuff and am doing relatively ok. With the help of my family just being there for me, and coming and reading here often. Oh, and ice cream, brownies, coffee....

So, do I just call the local number and ask for a list of meetings? aa may not be for me, but if nothing else it is something to check on. Either way I will learn something.

Happy Sunday folks, thanks for reading .
Old 11-09-2014, 09:55 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 5 weeks, Mikie. Exploring AA sounds like a great idea.
Old 11-09-2014, 10:09 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
~sb

Chattanooga AA Central Office

find a meeting and go. just listen, maybe talk with some people.
Old 11-09-2014, 10:29 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

Well done on 5 weeks Mikie
Old 11-09-2014, 10:58 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks guys. I don't post much but I read a lot and if it wasn't for sr I would be so lost.

Thanks Sugarbear! I have that page bookmarked. They have some meetings listed but I didn't see an address for each one. I didn't poke around long before coming here and posting though so I will check it out more this evening. It's beautiful here today and the dog is taking me walking for the rest of the afternoon

This time of year is hard on a lot of us with the sun going down earlier (not a peep from you people on the other side of the planet :p). I need something recovery related after work or I won't be able to hold on, and I know this. When it's cold and dark the bottle sounds mighty comforting. I need to learn a new way to live and not just hang on, I have learned my grip will fail.
Old 11-09-2014, 01:51 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats on 5 weeks Mikie

D
Old 11-09-2014, 03:21 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Congrats on five weeks sober!
Old 11-09-2014, 04:05 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Proud of you mikie - 5 weeks is fabulous. It'll keep getting better as you go.
Old 11-09-2014, 04:48 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Great job! Can't wait until I have 5 weeks.

I am in Atlanta and just called the local AA office. Very nice lady I spoke with, and she pointed me to the website but gave me a few tips about finding "good" meetings. Definitely look for several - they are all so different, and you're bound to find one that feels like a good fit.
Old 11-09-2014, 04:53 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Gratz and to many more
Old 11-09-2014, 05:54 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Mikie9, you make a great point. At a little over 5 weeks myself, it really is about finding a whole new way to live. I wish you the best and look forward to sharing in your success. Never give up.