Notices

Really need to quit, but... was this a seizure?

Old 11-08-2014, 03:07 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

000benny000, I don't know the reasons you can not go to the doctors, I don't know where you are from. It is possible the cost of a couple of days worth of beer could cover the initial fee.
No one here can give medical advice.
Seizures are not to be messed with, I don't want to scare you but I lost my brother to a seizure.
Seizures come in many forms. What you describe needs the expertise of a qualified doctor.
Can I ask why you can not got to the doctor?
Old 11-08-2014, 03:15 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Notimetoloose View Post
000benny000, I don't know the reasons you can not go to the doctors, I don't know where you are from. It is possible the cost of a couple of days worth of beer could cover the initial fee.
No one here can give medical advice.
Seizures are not to be messed with, I don't want to scare you but I lost my brother to a seizure.
Seizures come in many forms. What you describe needs the expertise of a qualified doctor.
Can I ask why you can not got to the doctor?
Because I simply cannot afford it. The costs exceed what I spend on beer. Wish I had health insurance.

To be honest, I'm really, really scared. Scared of the costs. Whether or not I will make it, even with medical help. And how terrible it will be "coming out" to my relatives. Though that last part I can overcome.

I'm a walking zombie. I have several cuts and bruises that just won't heal. All I do is drink. I was doing well, on 1 a night until the seizure-like thing.
Old 11-08-2014, 03:22 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

To hell with the bills. You can take your sweet time paying them back. Get to a doctor. Go to the ER. They have to see you.

You are playing with fire here. This is your life that's on the line. Get checked out, please.

Are you in the US? The Affordable Care Act's enrollment period is starting November 15. You may be eligible for health insurance thru the ACA.
Old 11-08-2014, 03:23 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

No disrespect to this forum, but I think you can't help me. Unless someone comes along with a great idea. But I think that I need to find my own solution.
Old 11-08-2014, 03:25 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by least View Post
To hell with the bills. You can take your sweet time paying them back. Get to a doctor. Go to the ER. They have to see you.

You are playing with fire here. This is your life that's on the line. Get checked out, please.
And sadly, when it comes to my life, I can't do this. The bills will make me end up on the street. Where I can't survive, I'm just not that kind of person.

I've decided to attempt to taper off and hope for the best.
Old 11-08-2014, 03:27 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Administrator

http://www.needymeds.org/free_clinic...FQUHvAodQDYA7A

The 13111 clinics in this database offer medical services (some may also offer dental services) and are free, low cost, low cost with a sliding scale based on income, or offer some type of financial assistance.

For additional information and appointments contact the clinic directly.
Old 11-08-2014, 03:31 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Not in my country unfortunately, but thanks.
Old 11-08-2014, 03:37 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

If there is some really reliable info on tapering off, I would like to know it. I'm not in a position to go to a doctor. And from 6 6-packs to 5,5 is progress that went well. So I'm going to wean myself off of alcohol and never look back. I'm just making sure I don't go too fast.
Old 11-08-2014, 03:38 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Benny, a lot of us have been where you are and yet here we are today, doing Okay...you can be as well.
What Dee suggests with the medical help.
Don't worry about what your family will think about you coming out. I suspect that they may already have an idea. There may be a family member or friend that can help you with this, perhaps with financial and moral support!
Your health and safety must be a priority when detoxing from alcohol.
Please don't give up on us here, we can be a wonderful support for you...even if you are still drinking, reading and learning from others here helps us on our journey to staying sober.
Old 11-08-2014, 03:39 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 000benny000 View Post
No disrespect to this forum, but I think you can't help me. Unless someone comes along with a great idea. But I think that I need to find my own solution.
This is a common-sense rule across most (if not all) internet forums for legal/liability reasons: Users can not dispense medical or legal advice. Period. I think this is pretty much universal so I am guessing you are not familiar with online fora and the normal etiquette?

We cannot, legally or ethically, do this no matter how much individuals may sincerely want to help you. Contact the links Dee gave you and do some research on what's available to you. You're the only one who can do that for you. Good luck.
Old 11-08-2014, 03:44 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Administrator

Go to an ER. It's been said, Benny.
Old 11-08-2014, 03:48 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

I understand the limitations of the advice given here. And my family would reject me and let me die before they would help me. Long story.

I CAN quit. I just need to do it on my own. I can't afford any medical help. And I understand that medical help is not possible here. So I'll decrease my intake. I'm at 5.5 sixpacks down from my regular 6, so that's something. And I decrease the amount by one can of beer every 2 weeks. At 1 week, I only drink half. I can do that. I have so far.

What freaked me out was the seizure (I've been Googling in the meantime) I had. That radical a drop in intake was not good. So I'll cut down as planned.
Old 11-08-2014, 03:55 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Btw, it was exactly like this (from Wikipedia):

Tonic-clonic seizures present with a contraction of the limbs followed by their extension along with arching of the back which lasts 10–30 seconds.[13] A cry may be heard due to contraction of the chest muscles.[13] The limbs then begin to shake in unison.[13] After the shaking has stopped it may take 10–30 minutes for the person to return to normal.[13]
Old 11-08-2014, 04:04 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Ok, I'm out. Wish you all the best. And if possible, please delete my account if possible. Please do ask for permission. I want to do this if my thread is bad for others. If it's of benefit, do keep it. No need to delete.
Old 11-08-2014, 04:08 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
One Day At A Time

Please keep coming back to SR and let us know how you are getting on. We all understand.
Old 11-08-2014, 04:12 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Btw, it was exactly like this (from Wikipedia):

Tonic-clonic seizures present with a contraction of the limbs followed by their extension along with arching of the back which lasts 10–30 seconds.[13] A cry may be heard due to contraction of the chest muscles.[13] The limbs then begin to shake in unison.[13] After the shaking has stopped it may take 10–30 minutes for the person to return to normal.[13]
They may also last a lot longer, so long in fact, that one can end up in a nursing home, permanently catheterised with significant brain damage or dead.
Benny, seriously man, I know you are scared, there has to be some sort of help that you can reach out to....have you tried talking to AA, perhaps have some contacts that can help you out with arranging the treatment required.

Once sober, you will be happy to know that finances improve for the best. Allowing you to pay your bills.
Old 11-08-2014, 04:17 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Benny,

So very many of us have been where you are now! Please, get help! Here in the US there are scholarships at treatment centers, clinics for free or very low cost doctors, etc. Surely there is something or someone who can help??

Three of the hardest words in my vocabulary: "I need help!" But, there was no way I could get started without them!

Jwalker
Old 11-08-2014, 04:18 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Notimetoloose View Post
They may also last a lot longer, so long in fact, that one can end up in a nursing home, permanently catheterised with significant brain damage or dead.
Benny, seriously man, I know you are scared, there has to be some sort of help that you can reach out to....have you tried talking to AA, perhaps have some contacts that can help you out with arranging the treatment required.

Once sober, you will be happy to know that finances improve for the best. Allowing you to pay your bills.
I have been aching to get to that point. But I need to do it myself. I can't get into details of my situation much more, but I do have to do it myself. I can get some Valiums from a friend, but that doesn't seem like a good idea. So the plan is to decrease the amount I'm drinking. It doesn't even give me pleasure anymore and it's just a matter of time.
Old 11-08-2014, 04:19 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Benny I hope you realize the seriousness of this. I know you have probably logged off, but i really hope you seek help. Don't try to taper yourself.

Bug
Old 11-08-2014, 04:22 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Ok, I'm out. Wish you all the best. And if possible, please delete my account if possible. Please do ask for permission. I want to do this if my thread is bad for others. If it's of benefit, do keep it. No need to delete.
Histrionics and self-flagelating won't typically fly or get much sympathy here. We're addicts, it's what we do and we recognise it in others without mercy. Throw a hissy fit on your pity pot and you'll soon be forgotten.

Respondents tend to legitimately care about how you're doing, we've all pretty much been where you're at. Be real and be here and you'll have loads of support. I hope you have the huevos to be honest and keep posting. I hope you do, because that will signify strength.