Notices

Exhaustion from anemia

Old 11-08-2014, 05:16 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Exhaustion from anemia

Here is a reason to check in with your doctor when getting sober. There are lots of ways that we drinkers can damage ourselves from ingesting all that poison. It took me several trips to the doctor with my exhaustion complaint before the test for my ferritin levels were checked and determined I am anemic.

Because we present with quitting drinking and feeling tired we may be told (and with good reason; I have nothing against physicians as there are many, many reasons a person might feel tired) that we are healing or maybe depressed.

I have been so exhausted for the 3.5 months of being sober. It's been really horrible. I thought it was just P.A.W. S and adrenal fatigue but I found out yesterday I am anemic so I can add that to the mix of why I continue to feel wiped out. Excessive drinking can cause anemia.

So keep going to the doctor if you need to.
Old 11-08-2014, 05:20 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I think when we are actively drinking, we are not eating properly so can definately be deficient in iron, vitamins etc....glad you found the problem and can now fix it.
Old 11-08-2014, 05:29 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I suffer from that too.
It actually happened to me after around 18 months sober.

I had symptoms I ignored for ages - breathlessness, extreme fatigue, bruising, feeling down, pins and needles in my hands and feet.

I still suffer now and things are not perfect.

I struggle to take iron though.
It makes me feel really ill.

Eat as good as you can do.

I hope you get better soon xx