Notices

I won't be one month sober...

Old 11-08-2014, 09:48 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Snowbunting, so terrific that you have thought about this ahead of time and created a plan! Think how wonderful you'll feel looking back and knowing that you'll have the experience of conquering this particular demon of being alone! It will make the next time seem even more doable.

I will be thinking of you and sending you good thoughts this weekend.

PS: Do you know the song "Potato Chips" by Slim Gaillard and the Baker's Dozen? (You can google it on YouTube; it'll make you smile). My favorite line is, "Munch, Munch, I don't need no lunch. Potato Chips!")
Old 11-08-2014, 09:53 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Play your weekend in fast forward in your head if you drink. The body pain, and emotional pain will not be worth it. Drinking sucks!
Old 11-08-2014, 09:59 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
learning to live

snowbunting - You can do this!

Play the tape allllll the way through.
Craving for me usually last 30 minutes...ride it out. Eat something in the meantime.
Notice the guilt and self hate that will most definitely arise the next day (and most likely when drinking)
Remember we aren't missing a thing when not drinking but we are GAINING SO MUCH.

YOU GOT THIS! WE GOT THIS TOGETHER <3

P.S. I want banana bread
P.S.S Your plan sounds great! It's your plan so feel free to tweak anywhere & anytime. It can contain ANYTHING. Just not ONE thing...booze!
Old 11-08-2014, 10:03 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I am four months sober after nearly 7 years of trying to get sober. I basically did it by living entirely in the present.

Instead of drinking, just make the very next thing you do a healthy activity. You already have a great idea by getting a list of things together. I ended up going for a lot of runs when I first started, because whenever I got a craving I would respond by putting on my running shoes and hurling myself around the neighborhood until I was tired.

The whole point of this is to get to a point where you are at the end of the day, you have done all of these healthy things, and you're still sober and you didn't have to plan anything. You just make a healthy decision whenever you faced with a decision

If I can do it, you can do it. Trust me we are all pulling for you here on sober recovery
Old 11-08-2014, 10:13 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

i was always alone with trying to stay off the drink and in a way it actualy helped me or at least i think it did
as number 1 offender for me was being on my own in my flat with no one around to talk to so i had to go out and the only place i could go as i had no money etc was to aa meetings, there i met some great people who would help me so much over the first couple of weeks just to get my feet on the ground
then they let me go my own way they didnt try to take ownership of me which i am so very grateful for today when i look back

so for me i went to aa meetings day and night i had no job and lots of time on my hands were my head could play hell with me

i went to meetings i was around other aa memebers even after meetings they would either come and have a cup of tea and few hours chat with me at home or i would go theres
they really did nurse maid me and i needed it back then

so like i say i think i was lucky in one as i didnt have anyone as i got the full help of what aa memebers can give should they wish to work there 12th step that is

you soon lose all those feelings when your in an aa room dont ask me why or how it has that effect on me as i dont know all i do know is i am at peace with my own kind in the rooms of aa that i can never find anywhere else.

so i would suggest you might like to put try an aa meeting out on your list or get to meetings on those days your partner is not around ?

good luck to you
Old 11-08-2014, 10:20 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Thank you thank you thank you, lovely people! I'm learning that living in the present is *so* important in all this. So, for the present, I'm going to do my DVD yoga session for an hour, then cook a really tasty, healthy dinner of buckwheat pasta with lemon, garlic, kale, broccoli, tomatoes, olives, etc etc to make up for all the crisps I ate earlier

And this is me whenever the AV pipes up:

I *will* get through this evening, I just will.
Old 11-08-2014, 10:21 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Hi desypete, so glad AA worked for you As I said above, I'm not wanting to join AA right now as I think AVRT is working for me, but if I felt I was in crisis I would definitely try a meeting.
Old 11-08-2014, 10:31 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

ok sorry to have posted i didnt realize you was an avrt, i post up all over the place if i see someone might need a bit of a helping hand no offence was meant just an offer of help is all
good luck to you
Old 11-08-2014, 10:32 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Waiting to go to an AA meeting is like taking your blood pressure medicine while you are having a heart attack.

As with all things in recovery an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure
Old 11-08-2014, 10:33 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

It sounds kind of like your planning the relapse with those bags of chips especially when your a health nut. Anyways don't give in. It would be a shame to lose those hard earned 30 days. Go get some of your favorite non alcoholic beverage and drink that tonight. If you want to have some potato chips eat those too, but don't drink. That's not what you really want. If your AV is telling you it will be alright he is lying. You will have so much guilt and shame....and you'll lose your 30 days and be back at day 1. You don't want to be hungover back at day 1 do you? You can do it!
Old 11-08-2014, 10:34 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

You have an awesome plan and sounds like a lot of support from SR. Sounds like prior to sobriety the alone time meant treating yourself to a lot of private drinking. You're still indulging yourself just not with booze - enjoy your time focusing on yourself - and escaping with crisps and movies (admittedly when I'm alone I watch Hallmark and Lifetime - lol!!)
Old 11-08-2014, 11:59 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MIRecovery View Post
Waiting to go to an AA meeting is like taking your blood pressure medicine while you are having a heart attack.

As with all things in recovery an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure
But I'm doing fine? I'm 30 days sober and keeping going?

Sorry, sometimes it seems that sometimes people just want to push AA and nothing else, regardless. I'm really happy that AA has worked well you, but I am finding things that work for me too, and what I like about SR is that we each give each other the freedom to find what works for us without judgment.
Old 11-08-2014, 12:03 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberLife90 View Post
It sounds kind of like your planning the relapse with those bags of chips especially when your a health nut.
Thanks for your comment, not quite sure what this first bit means though? I'm planning the opposite of a relapse - I'm planning a no-lapse! I bought two bags of crisps, but only ate one in the end, and one lollipop on my walk despite having a ton of leftover Halloween candy I've also done three hours of exercise today, so that should work off the crisps pretty well!
Old 11-08-2014, 12:06 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by walkinganewpath View Post
You have an awesome plan and sounds like a lot of support from SR. Sounds like prior to sobriety the alone time meant treating yourself to a lot of private drinking. You're still indulging yourself just not with booze - enjoy your time focusing on yourself - and escaping with crisps and movies (admittedly when I'm alone I watch Hallmark and Lifetime - lol!!)
High five to that! I've been watching a bit of 28 Days on netflix (topical), but I'm thinking I might *treat myself* to some good old British comedy over dinner. Then I'm onto new South Park episodes on my laptop

I'm not even going to have time for my bath tonight! Which is good, because I can look forward to it as tomorrow's main indulgent event.

Thanks for all the support everyone, I'm going to be so happy and grateful when I can say I'm One Month Sober (and counting) on Monday morning
Old 11-08-2014, 12:38 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Persys View Post
I used AA meetings to get through these types of situations early on. Usually I would only have to mention I was alone for the weekend and I would end up with all sorts of invites and/or company from sober people. Just sharing what worked for me. Good luck with it, sounds like you are going to be busy. Don't forget to rest!
I agree. :-) ^^^ You can do it!
Old 11-08-2014, 12:49 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

I am lmao with your Annie clip! you got this one, girl...crisps, reading, pasta, walking, connecting with us...so proud of you! You are going to feel amazeballs tomorrow when you open your eyes and you know you did it
Old 11-08-2014, 01:04 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Amazeballs! Didn't know that phrase had hit Canada Thanks Ellay! Still got to get through all of tomorrow of course, but my plan will be similar to today's with the added bonus of a luxurious Lush bath, so I'm feeling confident I think
Old 11-08-2014, 01:24 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Go get some edamame! U got peel them so takes more time and your being healthy. But perhaps to take your mind off, you could write a note to your husband telling him. "Thanks" for everything that he has done for you lately. you are going to make it!
Old 11-08-2014, 01:57 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

I just want to say thanks everyone for your support today, it really helped me and made me stronger. I'm going to go to bed to read and sleep now. I'll be back here tomorrow to keep me on track through Sunday. I'll bake banana bread, tidy the house, do some yoga, and take an amazing bath, among other things. Looking forward to awarding myself my one month chip on Monday (I don't do AA, but *do* award myself the chips )

Goodnight and stay sober y'all
Old 11-08-2014, 02:55 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  
learning to live

I think that is an awesome idea to reward yourself!!! Way to go staying strong today! You got this again tomorrow & we will be here for you the whole way !!! Sleep tight!!