Notices

information on panic attacks?

Old 11-07-2014, 12:40 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

information on panic attacks?

I've now been in withdrawal twice over the past 30 days (once accidentally, which led me into a wonderful 15 days sober, and once on Wednesday, after a 3-day relapse that ended Tuesday night), and both times have had what I believe might be panic attacks brought on by the withdrawal..

Can anyone share their experiences with this? I don't know if what I had were panic attacks, seizures, or some sort of very mild stroke, but I've been to a few different doctors (2 in Emergency Rooms, 1 at a clinic) and none have really given me any ideas at all about what the episodes might be classified as, besides asking if I'm planning to keep drinking. Which I am obviously not.

This post is not for medical advice, and would not deter me from visiting another doctor, but I'd like to hear what others out there are experiencing, and hopefully understand a bit more of what might be happening to me.

The first one was pretty severe (and VERY scary), and came on suddenly while in the car with my fiancé. Luckily he was driving, because I likely would have caused an accident.

I felt nauseous for a minute, then a general sense of great uneasiness like something was about to go very wrong, then my hands started tingling which quickly escalated to numbness. They started clenching themselves VERY VERY HARD into little fists that I was unable to un-clench (they were clenched to the point of hurting from the muscle strain, even though my hands were mostly numb). I felt fully alert mentally and not at all like I was in a state of confusion or about to faint or anything, although my fiancé said I was extremely pale and lips were turning blue, cold sweats as well. My feet and shins also started tingling to the point of pain, but never went numb or clenched up. The lower half of my face started to go numb as well, and it impaired my speech because I couldn't control my mouth very well to form words. I wouldn't have been able to stand or walk if I tried, but luckily didn't have to attempt that.

Originally we called an ambulance, but decided to just drive straight to the hospital as it was faster than waiting for the paramedics. While on our way, the episode subsided (the whole thing lasted a total of about 5mins beginning to end) and my hands started unclenching, although my fiancé had to physically pry them open for me. My hands continued to shake uncontrollably (couldn't even get my Care Card out of my purse, let alone try to fill out any forms) for the next few hours, but that too passed eventually.

I got off easy the second time. Had a lot of the same symptoms in the moments leading up to it- general sense of unwellness and anxiety (because I was scared of what was coming), hands started to feel very strange like my palms & fingers were going numb or losing control, just like they had before they started clenching in the previous episode, and I started to lose control of precise movements. I was at a checkout counter at the grocery store, and had to tell the cashier something was wrong and she might need to call me an ambulance as I wasn't sure what was about to happen.

It passed after a minute or so, luckily, and I waited for my mom to come pick me up and spent the day at her house. No other episodes that day, although the strange feeling in my hands kind of tickled me at a couple of points, which caused a feeling of panic, wondering if it was about to happen again.

Can anyone identify with this? It would give me some peace of mind to know others may have had similar episodes, and if you were given any useful information about it if so.

Thanks in advance everyone.
Old 11-07-2014, 12:48 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Work in progress...

Sounds like panic attacks to me. I suffer from them even when I'm not drinking. I've experienced the same sensations. I also get this "electric surge" that runs from the base of my neck up the back of my head.

By no means am I'm saying for sure that's what's happening to you, but you've described mine to a T.
Old 11-07-2014, 12:52 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I had a panic attack and ended up at the ER when I quit cold turkey. I though I was having a heart attack and couldn't stand up, very shaky, racing heart. It ended up being none of the above. Whatever it was it was pretty evident that my drinking and stopping abruptly was most likely the cause.

You may never know exactly what happened, but what you do know is that in both cases it was caused by your drinking, right? So the solution is to not drink anymore - it has worked wonderfully for me.
Old 11-07-2014, 12:52 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

There are many great books for dealing with panic attacks, without using medication. I use these two the most:

"From Panic to Power" by Lucinda Basset
"When Panic Attacks" by David Burns, MD

You can learn breathing techniques. For example, when a panic attack starts, your breathing becomes shallow which causes more panic. By taking, three slow and deep 'belly breaths' you can stop that from taking over.
Old 11-07-2014, 12:53 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Give yourself time away from the bottle and they will get much better. Do some research on techniques for controlling anxious thoughts.

If at three months you still have noticeable anxiety attacks, maybe see a CBT therapist for some counseling. It's very common to experience what you're experiencing in early sobriety.

Just ride it out. I used to get anxiety/panic attacks. Gone. My brain and Central Nervous System were pretty fried and it took me a good three months to feel calm on a regular basis.
Old 11-07-2014, 01:01 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I am anxiety-prone by nature and had occasional panic attacks also long before I started drinking excessively. During my heavy drinking years, scattered by numerous withdrawals/hangovers, it skyrocketed. I ran to the doctors with anxiety and panic symptoms quite a few times before drinking became a problem, during my alcoholism, and a couple times in sobriety. What you describe really sounds familiar to me. Including these thoughts and experiences:

Originally Posted by pivotalplains View Post
I don't know if what I had were panic attacks, seizures, or some sort of very mild stroke, but I've been to a few different doctors (2 in Emergency Rooms, 1 at a clinic) and none have really given me any ideas at all about what the episodes might be classified as, besides asking if I'm planning to keep drinking.
I would say, if you can afford it, do go to the doctor if you are feeling badly and panicky - it always helps me even if they don't give me any treatment besides taking my vitals and making a few jokes

And please do stay away from alcohol and drugs. It made a tremendous difference for me. I still do get anxiety and occasional extreme episodes, but it's nothing like the daily hell I used to live in as an active drinker. Also, explore anxiety management methods, there are many. Tons of info online and I would also recommend therapy with someone who specializes in this area.
Old 11-07-2014, 01:14 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Lucinda Basset's stuff really helped me back in the day. I had an entire tape collection that I played for about 2 years, listening to them over and over. Tapes!!! Not CD's Lol. I think this was from 97-99.
Old 11-07-2014, 01:16 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I had what appeared to be the onset of a panic attack awhile back. I am still in what would be deemed early sobriety at 4 plus months. I want to the doc about it... Among other things, I am very conscious of what's going on with my breathing now when dark emotional clouds appear.

Just this morning I ended up reading some very good information on what I appear to be experiencing a whole lot of lately.. "self esteem attacks". I've been on a roller coaster of them for weeks now. They are often confused with "panic attacks" according to the information.

There is much to sort out, explore and experience in sobriety....it is not for the faint of heart yet I believe with every fibre of my being it is well worth it. We are worth it. Life is worth it.
Old 11-07-2014, 02:08 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Breathing exercises, much like Anna suggested, help me too PP

D
Old 11-07-2014, 02:39 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

thank you everyone so much for your input, this has been extremely helpful.

ThatHombre - it's good that you also mentioned the 'electrical surge' you feel in your neck and head, I never EVER get headaches (even when extremely hungover- imagine that..) but surrounding the 'episodes' I had, I felt a strange tenseness/aching in my neck and lower skull after the attacks. It sounds similar to what you've experienced. Thank you so much for sharing!

I'm not at all familiar with panic attacks because I've never had one before going through withdrawals. I have a little bit of social anxiety (and always have), but have never had any "major" anxiety issues so this is new territory for me.

I used to just describe myself as being awkward in social situations, and would self-medicate with alcohol to be more social and lose inhibitions (which I feel was a large part in my introduction to becoming an alcoholic)- but as for most anxious alcoholics it's a vicious cycle, with a lot of the worry now being caused by fear that people will smell liquor on me, being shameful of past episodes where I've made an a** of myself, etc etc.

I don't plan on continuing this cycle, and I loved my 15 days sober more than anything. It was a huge disappointment for myself when I slipped up, and I'm so happy and relieved to be back on the road to recovery. My relapse only served to remind me of exactly why I HATE drinking, and that it only ever leads to disappointment and sadness. For a 30min "happy buzz", I spend the rest of the day/night in a disgusting haze that I don't even enjoy. I'm committed to recovering, and this community has been my greatest resource.

It's been great to hear that others have had similar episodes, and that I'm not alone. It seems I only get these episodes during the first day or two of withdrawal, so that's reassuring.
Old 11-07-2014, 02:44 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

as a PS, I think breathing techniques are what might have helped me through the second attack. I'd had a few questionable moments in the morning before going to the store, and in those times I just went outside for fresh air and tried breathing deeply. Everything was fine from there.

When I was at the grocery store, I started panicking when I felt the strange feeling coming on, but remembered what the ER doctors had said about making sure I kept deep breathing if I felt like something strange was happening. That's probably a lot of what helped to keep me from going into a fullblown episode again.
Old 11-07-2014, 02:44 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

thanks again everyone. so very much appreciated <3
Old 11-07-2014, 04:29 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I once had a panic attack so severe I called an ambulance absolutely certain that I was having a heart attack. So yeah, they can range from being upsetting to being absolutely terrifying. I'd have panic attacks about being afraid of having panic attacks.

The good news is they're totally harmless, it least physically.

Breathing exercises are good, as is exercise (not during the panic attack but in terms of generally improving your anxiety) and meditation.

Progressive muscle relaxation has worked miracles for me. It takes a few weeks practise but I assure you it's worth the effort. I don't have panic attacks anymore, but I still do it twice a day because it's so bloody relaxing.

http://www.anxietybc.com/sites/defau...Relaxation.pdf
Old 11-07-2014, 04:46 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
as a sober contributor

I used to have anxiety and panic attacks regularly before I got sober. Once I had 3 or 4 months w/o a drink they started to get less and less frequent. Now they have disappeared completely.

As previously stated... if you stop drinking, you will stop having these attacks.

Good Luck!
Old 11-07-2014, 06:29 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Hope4Life View Post
I used to have anxiety and panic attacks regularly before I got sober. Once I had 3 or 4 months w/o a drink they started to get less and less frequent. Now they have disappeared completely.

As previously stated... if you stop drinking, you will stop having these attacks.

Good Luck!
I am sober 13 months and still have the attacks. Much less than in the beginning, so when do mine stop? I hate them!!!!!!!!
Old 11-07-2014, 06:38 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Panic attacks apparently get worse with drinking but they aren't always related to that. I think different things trigger different people. Diet can play a major role. When I went to a nutritionist she told me she thought my blood sugar was low and that I had hypoglycemia, which causes anxiety and panic.

I followed her advice and made sure to avoid sugary foods as much as possible and have animal proteins three times a day. The hypoglycemic diet helped a lot along with a really good book about panic I can't remember the name of. Panic attacks are quite common and there's a lot if help out there
Old 11-07-2014, 06:45 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Also my sister had some serious panic attacks and couldn't move very well sometimes. She was starving herself at the time (lots of dysfunction in my family!) and the doctor told her she was too low on potassium. I think it wouldn't hurt to at least get a doctors opinion
Old 11-07-2014, 07:02 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I felt like I was on the verge of a panic attack daily while drinking daily and then for the first month or so of sobriety. Take away the alcohol, completely for a month and see how you feel! The one month is tough but sooooo worth it. If a newcomer could instantly feel, for 10 minutes, how much better they would feel in a month, they would probably never drink again. You can do this. The drinking/hangovers/withdrawal are causing the panic attacks. Well, they did for me anyway.
Old 11-07-2014, 10:29 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
as a sober contributor

The comment on diet is very true. I was a beer drinker and craft beer is loaded with sugar. Once I stopped I had a major sweet tooth for a while but have since curtailed the sweets.

Don't be afraid to seek outside help. Speaking with a therapist and working through the underlying reasons why I drank was key to my sobriety.
Old 11-07-2014, 10:54 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Panic attacks are aweful! My heart goes out to all that suffer from them. I used to get them very, very bad. Was in long term sobriety when they came on. A doctor perscribed Clonopin.....relapse was my outcome. Now, back in recovery, I thank God that I have been relieved of them. If they ever do come back, I now know what I cannot do for relief. Meditation and breathing excersizes are the way to go!