Notices

A Musical Sober Weekender Thread Nov 7-9

Old 11-07-2014, 07:16 PM
  # 81 (permalink)  

Thanks LTV - switching coffee shops every day sure beats switching liquor stores!

There's a chill in the air tonight. Just got done watching a movie and I think I'll turn in. It's been a long week and I've got a cold, alas. Turning off your brain to sleep lets the immune system go to work, and that's what I need right now. I have fresh oranges, eggs and sausage and coffee waiting for a sunrise breakfast. Looking forward to a peaceful, quiet night's sleep here on the edge of town.

I always liked the tune "69 Police" from the end of Ocean's 11 (the new ones). Nice, hopeful, wandering-down-the-street vibe. It's the weekend - no rush, no hassle, and nowhere to be. Just enjoy the moment!

http://youtu.be/9VUV6bqP7iw?list=PLD...ADknpMqgoGTOp5

(starts :30 seconds in)
Old 11-07-2014, 07:18 PM
  # 82 (permalink)  

as popeye would say, "Wimmink!" Great date nite, a few curve balls...
First found an "Asian" place. Best sushi I had in a long time. Wife said best sushi she ever had. Soooo, let's get some more. By the time her Thai plate arrives she asks for a box.
I remember the last time I had a Thai soup besides the sweat beading up on top of my head my nose also started to drip. But it was so good. I also had a curry dish.
Let's look for a band and go dancing - nothing really. Let's go to the bookstore instead. On the way she tells me she wants Queen Everything for xmas - after she scolded me for getting my sister a nice scarf and hat combo -alpaca - big deal.
Anyway, Barnes and Noble has a music section. I discovered I could get the Beatles Revolver album remastered on vinyl for about 23 bucks - pass.
She discovers a three CD queen set greatest hits I II III (as seen on TV). You can buy my xmas present now. Okay I get it. As soon as we get in the car she starts tearing it open. I say, "Whoah!" I thought that was a xmas present. Let's just say I survived saying that - barely.
We stop at applebees on the way home for dessert - don't ever go there for dessert. We settle on having hot chocolate because I don't want coffee this late. The bartendress goes through the whole process of shaking the packets of hot chocolate mix in front of us while her partner goes for the hot water - $2.50 each for that!?
So as we are driving home the back road is dark. I'm keenly scanning for deer waiting to jump in front of me. Queen's Bicycle Race -yeah, she won - is blasting away in the car. It gets to the break where the old bicycle bell rings. And out of the darkness two of them come onto the road from the woods and almost give me a heart attack. Yep, two kids on old style bicycles pull onto the road from out of nowhere. I **** you not it happened like that exactly. 930 at night, no lights and wearing dark clothes. It was bizarre and we were howling. The song resumes.
As I was putting my shoes in the closet she comes into the room and starts singing BICYCLE, BICYCLE. Great night out.
Well, got to sign off for part two. And then get up early to hit the woods. Good night Irene. Hopefully I'll be able to say we have fresh meat tomorrow...

I just heard it again, BICYCLE gotta run.
Old 11-07-2014, 07:28 PM
  # 83 (permalink)  

Ok. Another video link. A worthwhile cover of While My Guitar Gently Weeps. Dhani Harrison, George's son is playing with the ensemble and dang does he look like his father.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6SFNW5F8K9Y
Old 11-07-2014, 07:42 PM
  # 84 (permalink)  

I like evocative music, no matter what the emotion.

This one evokes happiness and a good mood:

Old 11-07-2014, 08:35 PM
  # 85 (permalink)  

Brain, that is freaky. I hate when that happens. People in dark clothing suddenly on the verge of the road. Startles the heck out of me.

I was just listening to Queen and saw videos of the Freddie Mercury tribute concert. Of all the odd combos was Elton John and Axl Rose singing Bohemian Rhapsody. Ah, Freddie.

Thanks Gilmer. I'm pretty happy with it. Coming along and a sink! I love my sink! It works and I can stop running into the bathroom for water when I make coffee.
Old 11-07-2014, 09:52 PM
  # 86 (permalink)  

I have been watching fun movies and smoking Davidoffs. I show no signs of going to sleep! I might end up pulling an all-nighter for the first time in years! I didn't have an excessive amount of caffeine today...I guess I'll sleep in tomorrow!
Old 11-07-2014, 10:10 PM
  # 87 (permalink)  
Administrator

wouldn't cigars keep you awake Gilnmer? they do me.

Just chilling here playing some blues...the immortal Jeff Healey

great minds think alike Ruby

D
Old 11-07-2014, 11:39 PM
  # 88 (permalink)  

They did keep me awake Dee! It's 2:38 and I'm still going! I had two--usually I stop at one. I will certainly pay tomorrow!
Old 11-08-2014, 01:16 AM
  # 89 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Dee... post something of you playing?

Love Jeff Healy!!!!

And Queen... LB... You have me in stitches.
Old 11-08-2014, 04:05 AM
  # 90 (permalink)  

A little something for our Charlie Brown fans and piano lovers...

Linus and Lucy (full album)
Old 11-08-2014, 04:13 AM
  # 91 (permalink)  

Good morning all. I've noticed several DIY types around here and I need some advice. I've noticed that several small cracks have developed in the paved area around the 'cement pond' over the last few years. I think resealing the area may be a good idea. Any ideas about best product to use/have any of y'all done something like this? I'm not too knowledgeable about these things but am good at following directions (maybe that's why I'm still married)!

Last edited by Mark1014; 11-16-2014 at 07:55 PM.
Old 11-08-2014, 04:13 AM
  # 92 (permalink)  

I am in for a sober weekend. I've had to stay away from listening to music in my spare time as a lot of it is a trigger for me. When I am in the gym, I like top 40 to keep me moving though
Old 11-08-2014, 04:29 AM
  # 93 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by Weasel1966 View Post
Dee... post something of you playing?
Fraid not Ken...anything I have of me playing is me also drunk or high.
Maybe one day new stuff will be preserved, in a way where I can maintain my anonymity

D
Old 11-08-2014, 06:22 AM
  # 94 (permalink)  

I get it Dee thanks! Just curious what you play?

as for me today? I think a cold day needs a good lasagna. Nice sweet and spicy sausage in there. mmmm... something to take all day.

If you are struggling today... first weekend... chime in... post and talk a bit about how you are handling things.

Snowbunting... how are you doing? I know being alone and not monitored can be a trigger but say hello often!!
Old 11-08-2014, 07:21 AM
  # 95 (permalink)  

Pickin' & Grinnin'

Hey, anybody up for a Saturday morning Car Story?

I'm over at our local Dog Park late yesterday, having a very insightful chat with a new Pal who happens to be - wait for it - a Drugs and Alcohol Counselor. Just a great Personality. A Gal at the Table with 23 years Sobriety jumps into the Convo. My kinda Support Group. Spontaneous and diverse Free Thinkers.

Then, I get a Text from Da Wife who's walked down the Street a few Blocks for a 'Laser' Session and Healing Oils Appt. with her regular Esthetician/Gal Pal. Some short Wavelength Laser Gig on her Face that makes rejuvenates Skin. I rehearse my lines on answering the query: 'Do I look younger now'? That one's in the 'One Correct Answer' Category, right up there with 'do these Pants make me look fat?'. The correct, Marriage-sustaining answer is the same as is now being uttered at LBrain's House: 'No Deer'.

Why is Da Wife not driving the newly-repaired Passat to this Beauty Appointment, you might ask? Because the Chain on the Decades-old Garage Opener has snapped. Fortunately, it didn't gouge her Passat. I've got an identical, unused Opener up at our Mountain House, so I need only figger out when to make a run up to near the Wyoming State Line at >9,000' to get it. O'well, my kinda problem. Simple. Just beat the Snow coming in this Tuesday. Fer now, the Garage Door lifts easily in manual mode. A leaking Dishwasher Pump has us doing Dishes sporadically, so it's been an Episode of Suburban 'Survivor' around here. Strictly First World Problems, to be sure. Despite Da Wife's chilled Vodka in the Fridge, I've no predilection whatsoever to partake while confronting Suburban Crises. Nada.

I'm makin' like GrandeSobrero, and others here, and sipping my first Cup of Industrial Strength Coffee. It brings back memories of Coffee in Italy, where we went ~6 years ago with a Van-load of Hairdressers. It didn't suck. I'll tie in that luscious Italian memory with the Music Thread this Weekend - which I'm Lovin' Large - and put up this Pic of a Pipe Organ in Turin [Torino]. A former High Tech Biz Sales Pal showed us around his City there, and this Insider connection made for one fab time. A Homemade Dinner at Mama's that night was to die for.

If you've heard one First Person, you know that the Pipe Organ was the Italian high-Decibel Rock & Roll Instrument of it's time. Hear one open up Zeppelin's 'Your Time Is Gonna Come'.

With 'AC/DC' in the News of late, the timely Vid Clip linked below was sent to me by a U.K. Gal Pal. Good to get that Blood goin' this morning. Move over, Rover, and let Sober take over!

'Thunderstruck' ~ Steve 'n' Seagulls

-----

----
Old 11-08-2014, 07:24 AM
  # 96 (permalink)  

Well now. I got fresh meat! I've been driving around a ginger ale for 3 weeks as a celebration drink. It tasted good - ice cold and refreshing! Home to change, now work to do. It was freezing this morning. Good thing I only had to wait until 0620 . Perfect shot at 28 yards.
Time to get another ginger ale prepared.
Old 11-08-2014, 07:30 AM
  # 97 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LBrain View Post
well now, speaking of vivaldi, I keep this handy and whenever I take a long driving trip this always goes with me.
Or just doing things around the house sometimes, one of my favorite whimsical musical compositions. Each concerto is broken into 3 movements - anyway, for an uplifting morning listen - go straight to "FALL" slide the time to 21 minutes. Or just sit back and imagine the music from spring through winter.

This should have been posted on Saturday - but I'll be in the woods

LBrain, I love this! Thanks for sharing!!
Old 11-08-2014, 07:31 AM
  # 98 (permalink)  

MesaMan - oh the horror and suffering. Sounds like you have a project with that garage door, but as we know things could be worse. Might be fun to take some time up in the mountain house anyway, eh?

Speaking of hard times, woke up to see the Central American version of "fall colors" this morning. All pics taken from my seat on my terrace while enjoying my coffee. Off to el mercado shortly to stock up on fresh fruit. Then I'll come home to an industrial-strength breakfast, a nap, and at trip to the flower store.

The pink flower in this pic below is from my own azalea, which seems to have survived a small bout of "potting shock" and is now flourishing.

Old 11-08-2014, 07:36 AM
  # 99 (permalink)  

Great story MM. Love your posts.

Congrats there LB!

well.... i had all intentions of making the lasagna... went to check their 'meets' first and saw really nice shaved steak. As having just come from the bakery I quickly put two and two together and now today's menu is a big ass cheese-steak. Xnay on the lasagna.

I did get some good quality Prosciutto and cheese with fresh basil to make a panini too.

Never go food shopping hungry.

GREAT pics Big S!!!
Old 11-08-2014, 07:45 AM
  # 100 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Weasel1966 View Post
And this version with the cinematography. Look at the way she lets the crowd sing and she waves. I love the simplicity of the moment. I have the whole DVD and love it!

Someone like you
Thanks Weasel, one of my favorites too...