Notices

A Musical Sober Weekender Thread Nov 7-9

Old 11-07-2014, 11:30 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Closetlobster, just thought I would share that my awesome son's bday is Aug 5th, and since he is so awesome, that means you are awesome too for having that as your sobriety birthday
Hang in there!
Old 11-07-2014, 11:41 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Although, weekend #10 will be the longest I've ever gone in my life without a drink (and being drunk) since starting drinking at 16. . .

Dear Liver, now is your long overdue vacation.

Yours,

Closet Lobster.
Old 11-07-2014, 11:42 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ellay View Post
Closetlobster, just thought I would share that my awesome son's bday is Aug 5th, and since he is so awesome, that means you are awesome too for having that as your sobriety birthday
Hang in there!
Haha - thanks Ellay! Have good weekend
Old 11-07-2014, 11:55 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bigsombrero View Post
Maybe I should bring my khaki shorts, hat, and a whip?
A side arm wouldn't be a bad idea either
Old 11-07-2014, 01:38 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Ridin' High

Man, some exciting stuff goin' on here this Weekend...

Just got back from a friendly Ketchup meeting with our Attorney of 'fo evah'. Time to change our Trusts to reflect passing along some of our Possessions to younger Pals. All our Geezer Pals may/or may not outlive us. Plus, we want to make more substantial Contributions to Charities. Ya can't take it with you. Then, we hit the #1-rated Indian Buffet Joint for the Meal of the day. Great Chow.

Ah, Da Wife's Passat. After patronizing the Fine Establishments of 2 Mechanics out West - the 2nd of which really knows his Guano - we got the Power Steering fixed. HOWEVER, in working on it, Marginal Mechanic #1 tore the Boot around the Steering Column that separates the Cabin from the Engine/Firewall. Pricey to replace some day. THEN, Mechanic #2 had to replace the Aluminum 'crush' Nuts on the Rack & Pinion Steering Assy Hydraulic connections with new Nuts. Unbeknownst to Marginal Mechanic #1, they're meant for one time use. Prior to this 2nd Repair, it was still leaking Power Steering Fluid. At ~$26-/Liter.

THEN, Da Wife calls me yesterday on her way to a Nail Appt. Some Appts in Life are more important than others. The under-Engine 'Belly Pan' - a hard, Plastic, protective Suspension Cover - was hanging down AGAIN, and freaking her out. SOOOOO, I cancel the daily Dog Park Soiree and head up North with all my Tools and Blankets and Work Clothes. No biggie. This Belly Pan Cover had wiggled loose after a visit for Routine Service 2 days ago to our regular Mechanic. They were the 3rd - but trusted - Shop to work address this imbroglio. A few Cable Ties later, and the Belly Pan is secured and good to go. Meanwhile, the local Constables are Chalk-marking Tires, and enforcing the 2 hour Parking Limit in this Lot. SO, the upside of my involvement is that I noticed this, and moved her Passat. A Parking Ticket was thus avoided.

So, $1,450- + $150- + $1,050- later, her fine piece of German Engineering runs pretty well! Next stop might be her Hair Salon to color all the Grey Hair she's developed over the last 3 weeks.

She's now calling me 'Her Savior' for keeping my Sober kewl through all this. This Oldie by 'Smith' linked below pretty much sums up her view of me. For now. Now, where'd I put my Leather Fringe Vest?

A lil Musician Humor below for all the fellow Players here...

'Baby It's You' ~ Smith

-----
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Musician.jpg (38.4 KB, 65 views)
Old 11-07-2014, 02:02 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  

a rare event is going to occur tonight. yep, me and the wife are going out to eat. I cleaned up around outside, cut grass and collected leaves and such - plus a few radishes.
She passed her last test she thought she didn't (they are starting to lose people from the program weekly). So we are getting out of here for a few hours and eat with no distractions. No reservations and it's Friday. Thai food is out with no reservations. hmmmm maybe make a few calls...
Old 11-07-2014, 02:09 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Enjoy LB!!!
Old 11-07-2014, 02:23 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  

The outfits alone MM were worth the watch. I still have to say "that darn car". I hope you can coax it into running for a couple of weeks without mishap. This has to be very frustrating but good that it isn't sending you drinking.

After watching the video I skipped over to the ABBA videos that were in the margin. I'm now listening to Florence + the Machine "No Light, No Light". I like the song, I find the video a bit disturbing for some reason and I'm not generally squeamish.

I'm packing it up to head to the train to go home. I am ready for the weekend. I get addicted to pulling up songs on you tube when I get started. Flitting from one thing to another, all reminding me of different events/eras in my life. What a strange trip it's been. Guided by Voices "Motor Away" followed by Ministry's "Jesus Built My Hot Rod." Aural assault.

Ok. Enough memory lane. Ellay, tell us how the dinner goes. I think that sounds great. Petals, glad to see you. Always room for one more! ClosetLobster, bummer on working Sunday. Time to go!
Old 11-07-2014, 02:41 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  

I'm in! Very late, but definitely in!
Old 11-07-2014, 02:49 PM
  # 70 (permalink)  

Trach, I loved Tubular Bells!!!!!

Not so much the theme from The Exorcist, but the end of side 1, where he says, "And now--Tubular Bells!"
Old 11-07-2014, 03:06 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Hi all, I'm in for the weekend. Looking forward to it!
Old 11-07-2014, 03:14 PM
  # 72 (permalink)  

hey everyone.... i cannot say enough how much I love my job. The people are genuine and fun. I laugh many times a day and we all do great work as a team. What more can anyone ask for. So a good week for me that way.

I spend most time alone on the weekends but so be it for now. I need to keep at the violin and exercise.

No cravings to speak of. hmmm... not so bad.

ready to settle in for tv and snacks. Carrots and celery!

Loving the music.

MM great pics.
Old 11-07-2014, 03:30 PM
  # 73 (permalink)  

One of my favorites by Mr. Joel

And so it goes
Old 11-07-2014, 03:38 PM
  # 74 (permalink)  

And this version with the cinematography. Look at the way she lets the crowd sing and she waves. I love the simplicity of the moment. I have the whole DVD and love it!

Someone like you
Old 11-07-2014, 04:04 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  

Here Comes the Sun

Let It Be
Old 11-07-2014, 05:19 PM
  # 76 (permalink)  

Whew! I ran the gauntlet this week - 5 different cafes in 5 days! This town has so many little cafes tucked into nooks and crannies that it's worth exploring them all.

For anyone new in the game, the practice of going to cafes every day - even just for a small black coffee - did me wonders. It became a way for me to get out of the house and sit somewhere else. Strike up a chat. Smell the warm roast in the air. I don't think I ever spent time at cafes during my drinking days, except to grab a venti Starbucks when I was hungover and run out. Nowadays, it's a great way for me to get out in the city, sip slowly, and relax and settle my mind.

Who says there's nothing to do in sobriety? Who says you won't socialize? Who says you can't sit somewhere and chill while enjoying a beverage? Total BS. You can. You will. If I can find myself comfortable in places like these today - trust me, so can you.

Old 11-07-2014, 06:19 PM
  # 77 (permalink)  
pray for strength

I'm totally behind with the weekend times already. But jumping in now.

BigS - love the coffee pics. Those pics are the next best thing to actually enjoying the real thing during the day.

It is going to be a great weekend everyone!
Old 11-07-2014, 07:14 PM
  # 78 (permalink)  

BigS, great tips. Going to coffee shops used to be something I did all the time to get out of the house and to be around people.

Thanks Weasel for the Adele video. I picked this video afterwards. Ive always liked this song and it's a stark reminder of where not stopping can take you. http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KUmZp8pR1uc. Amy Winehouse - Rehab.

Home relaxing before heading to bed. After eating ice cream. On the train home there were four guys sitting on the upper deck of the train, sharing a case of beer. It didn't bother me but made me think that some people just drink. A lot. I don't know if they are alcoholics but most of their conversation revolved around a daughter's wedding, consumption of alcohol, the free bottles of premium liquor that was in the hotel room in cancun, eating - and drinking at the bars that dot the grounds at all inclusive resorts. It was like high school all over and these guys were older than me. One mentioned grand kids and one of the others is celebrating his 33rd wedding anniversary. In twenty minutes they finished the 12 bottles. I'm glad I'm not drinking. I feel I've grown a lot. And then ten minutes after getting off the train I was walking in the grocery store to get ice cream and a woman walked by me calling "free wine samples in the wine aisle!" and I thought to myself "I don't drink" and felt satisfied with that. And they finally had one container of my favorite flavored ice cream.

So, that's my evening. I am hoping to sleep in late tomorrow. And grout the tile I put up last weekend.
Old 11-07-2014, 07:15 PM
  # 79 (permalink)  

We are up in the mountains this weekend and we were craving a late night snack for cheesy sci-fi movie watching. We don't have much food here, so my husband scrounged some canned tomatoes and chili powder and a can of SPAM. The result was shockingly good!

Old 11-07-2014, 07:16 PM
  # 80 (permalink)  

Ruby, your kitchen looks great!