Notices

A Musical Sober Weekender Thread Nov 7-9

Old 11-07-2014, 03:46 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

I would like another sober weekend!!! I am in!

I can't listen to what I was listening to while drinking. With over 20 years of being high or drunk I've covered a lot of genres. I listen to Native American music or tribal techno now.

I was into country for 3 or 4 years. But everyone in the songs is drunk or smoking so that had to be put away for a while.

Jennifer
Old 11-07-2014, 03:53 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Weasel - I love the electric violin thanks to Jean Luc Ponty. Amazing sound.
Old 11-07-2014, 03:53 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

sounds like everyone has something to do - I think. I'm still all by myself. Didn't get up early to hunt. My plan is to wake up when I wake up, no alarm. If I'm up early enough I head out. Otherwise, later.

Here's a song that was always one of my favorites, no not Vivaldi's four seasons.
The title alone is a hit.

Old 11-07-2014, 04:02 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Marcher13 View Post
How good is it to go to a friend's house for dinner on a Friday night, have a bunch of laughs, enjoy the meal, come home and be ready to go to bed a decent hour so you can work the following day.

I love sobriety.

Night all.
It's funny to me now, but the possibility of an evening like that used to be absolutely foreign to me....just like sober holiday gatherings. Although the thought of the holidays stressed me a few weeks ago (how does one actually do it sober), something has changed and now I'm genuinely looking forward to true fellowship with my extended family. Go figure.
And another bonus is that I won't have to constantly slip out to my car and sneak drink!
Old 11-07-2014, 04:07 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

well now, speaking of vivaldi, I keep this handy and whenever I take a long driving trip this always goes with me.
Or just doing things around the house sometimes, one of my favorite whimsical musical compositions. Each concerto is broken into 3 movements - anyway, for an uplifting morning listen - go straight to "FALL" slide the time to 21 minutes. Or just sit back and imagine the music from spring through winter.

This should have been posted on Saturday - but I'll be in the woods

Old 11-07-2014, 04:58 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Good morning. Enjoying a day of not getting kids ready for school while getting myself ready for work. I'm looking forward to the weekend and hopefully some rest to finally kick this cold.

Weasel, that sounds like a great thanksgiving plan! What do you think you will make? We go to my grandfather's every year now. Our family is quite small and my grandfather quit drinking years ago so there will be no alcohol involved. A man of iron resolve. I always associated gatherings at my grandparents with highballs-bourbon and ginger ale in large tumblers. But one day when he was back in his seventies he decided enough was enough and that was it. He never went back nor looked back. I only wish I had his fortitude.

I should ask him about that. We do break open a bottle of celebratory bubbly but it is grape juice and not champagne.

And Trach, that made me laugh. There will most likely never be a day in this house when all things are off the floor. My husband is projecting and envisioning the counter cluttered with stuff already. I can start thinking about paint colors now. The one thing about having quit drinking is that instead of leaving the project incomplete with little details unattended to, until "later" and later never comes is that I know I will finish it. I won't get lost in a bottle and pass out, and walk past, turning a blind eye to the things I didn't do.

Have a great day everyone.
Old 11-07-2014, 06:11 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Ruby - horizontal spaces are bad here. Still working on it but mail, things etc are just so easy to put on the nearest horizontal space. Yesterday I was looking at plants to place in a planter I want to make. The half walls around the stairs from the kitchen area seems to accumulate - everything. My plan is to build a planter and fill it with peace lilies so that the horizontal space is gone. Plus it will help define the kitchen area from the entrance way and stairway. The plant lady laughed when I told her the why I was doing this. It seems to be a common issue. I bought the wood for this 'project' about four years ago Picture a six foot long row of lilies next to the kitchen bistro type table area.

Tang - thanks for reminding me Pat Metheny is playing in Reading Nov 22 - need to get tickets. Somehow that Jean Luc Ponty reference made me think of it.

First words from wife when she arrived home, "Where is deer?" Sorry, I slept in today.
Old 11-07-2014, 06:46 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Vatos

Although I don't Hunt, I have heard the line: 'Not tonight, Deer'.

Great old funky Footage of 'The Tubes', LBrain. I heard their 'Talk To Ya Later' on Sirius Radio yesterday, and was chuckling out loud while singing along.

'So I asked her for a date
She reluctantly agreed
Then we went to my place
And she never did leave'

Growing up in SoCal Cruiser Land, this 'War' Song below and Low Riders were an essential part of my Youth, and subsequent - shall we say - 'Arrested Development' in College. Indeed, some Scenes in Cheech & Chong's 'Up In Smoke' were filmed just around the corner from our E. Los Angeles Hippie House.

I saw my first Chrome Chain Steering Wheel; Lights in the Wheel Wells; and Hydraulic Shock Absorber-equipped Low Riders when way young. The Vatos would screw on Metal Plates to Cars like the one shown below. They instantly depressurize the Shocks, dropping the Chassis sides under the Doors down to Asphalt. These showers of Sparks would fly backwards. Size matters. The most 'impressive' flume of Sparks would 'win'. Impress the Babes.

About the time a Neighbor around the corner took a .45 in the Chest in a case of a Drug Deal-related case of mistaken identity, I took all of 15 minutes to decide it was time to book outta L.A. for the then-idyllic Vision of Colorado. This was ~40 years ago, and this Gun Guano was still pretty rare back then. Never looked back. Met Da Wife. Made a Life.

Life been berry berry gud to me. Now, it's better. I'm 'around' to enjoy it.

Hats off to the various Noobs 'turning the corner' in Mindset. Ain't nothing to return to. It's all forward from here. It also warmed the proverbial Cockles of my Heart to hear of Rubys2's Grandpa just up and quitting.

'Cisco Kid' ~ War ~ Live

-----

Old 11-07-2014, 06:58 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Lbrain - I can see how jean luc ponty would remind you of pat metheny. Both great musicians.
Old 11-07-2014, 07:34 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Jaco

Here's one for Dee,

no, that is NOT Jaco Patsorius on bass (doesn't even look close to him), it's Mark Egan.

Old 11-07-2014, 08:11 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Friday Funday! I waffled on meeting some of the ladies from my AA group tonight for dinner...but I am going to step outside of my comfort zone and go. I realized that the meetings are great place for the message, but if I am truly going to work the program I have to put myself out there. I will be missing my son's hockey game, but my fiancé will pick up that slack and be there for him. I am grateful that such an amazing man has taken on my sons as if they are his own. Have a great day, everyone!
Old 11-07-2014, 08:22 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Still morning in my neck of the mountains, checking in!

Been an uneventful week. Think I needed that. Came down with a bit of a cold and stomach bug mid-week...but have bounced back pretty well! Amazing to see how much more quickly the body can heal itself and protect its immune systems without pouring all that poison in the well.

Booked my flight for the Mayan Pyramids last night, heading up there for Thanksgiving break. Doing 2 days up on an island lake town in the jungle, should be able to explore some remote towns via boat. There's also a wildlife sanctuary that I might stop in at, they rehab rare creatures like jaguars to release back into the wild. Because of what they are trying to accomplish, you won't see the animals at the center for this reason, as they don't want them getting used to humans at all. But it is supposed to be really interesting regardless. Then I'll do 2 days up in the ruins to see the pyramids, temples, etc. Lots of excavated and non-excavated stuff, very "Indiana Jones". Maybe I should bring my khaki shorts, hat, and a whip?

Plugging away here at work. Uploading content, editing data, and cleaning up bugs and fixes on the website per usual. We're hiring a couple more people in the coming month so that should ease my workload. Looking forward to a sober weekend!
Old 11-07-2014, 09:10 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Hey Big S... Be sure to take lots of pictures to share with us. And I always find it a positive if my whip can do double duty.
Old 11-07-2014, 09:12 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Thanks weasel. can I hop on board?
May need some hugs this weekend.
Xxx
Old 11-07-2014, 09:20 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Bacon is music to my ears.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
bacon flowchart.jpg (45.5 KB, 62 views)
Old 11-07-2014, 09:35 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  
as a sober contributor

Haven't been on this thread for a while but I had to put in my vote for the #1 sobriety song of all time! The story of my life......
Brings tears to my eyes every time I hear it.

Old 11-07-2014, 10:10 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  

I'm am SO here this weekend, you guys. I don't usually join weekender threads because I'm generally happy and untriggered on weekends, but this one is different: my husband will be away for two nights from tomorrow, which coincides with my one month soberversary (which will be on Sunday), and I will need support. His absences have always been huge triggers for me.

I have so many sober songs to share, I've been compiling playlists with names like 'The Comforter' specifically for recovery. This one is a trusted go-to song for cheering me up and doing a bit of sober dancing about. 'Jump in the Line' / 'Shake Senora' by Harry Belafonte, from the Tim Burton film Beetlejuice

My girl's name is Señora
I tell you friends I adore her
And when she dances, oh brother!
She's a hurricane in all kinds of weather

Youtube link seems to be troublesome... Shake Senora
Old 11-07-2014, 10:14 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  

I have a friend who told me a war story about him and Joe Walsh drinking at a bar/restaurant one morning in Texas.

Joe Walsh puts a name and a face on what recovery can be.

So do Elton John and Eric Clapton.
Old 11-07-2014, 11:07 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

A loud one from Rob ,
It speaks to me about recovery !

Halford - Resurrection from Halford Live at Saitama Super Arena - YouTube

Have a good weekend , m
Old 11-07-2014, 11:23 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Weekend #9

Hey guys, just a quick check-in.

Been a tough couple of weeks at work. Made some howling mistakes - although, I'm still new (2 months) and hopefully these will all iron out in the next few weeks.

Tonight: Will try to drag myself to the gym and have a bit of a chill out.

Tomorrow: Clean my bedroom! And go for a swim and maybe cook something new and interesting (Japanese curry maybe?).

Sunday: Well, I'm working all of Sunday! Grumble, grumble, grumble.

I think the things that's becoming apparent is the euphoric, 'honeymoon' period of recovery is over. The 'ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE!' attitude is fading and real life is kicking in, and hard.

Oh well, I need to get that zest back. . . I'm sure it'll arrive... and let's face it, life can't be rosy and euphoric 24/7/365.

Have a good weekend SR'ers. Feeling better already.