Notices

A Musical Sober Weekender Thread Nov 7-9

Old 11-06-2014, 01:57 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I'm making up for lost time. I don't think I'll ever get them back. But I am trying to make the most of my time these days. I still have my moments of melancholy, but I work through it. Getting venison is high on my to do list these days. If it wasn't rainy and windy I'd be out there right now. OKAY - funny time.
I told the missus I was going hunting. She said it's cold and rainy. "Yeah," I said, but deer can't call in sick and don't take days off just because it's raining." Kind of an interesting parallel to living life on life's terms wouldn't you say?

If it wasn't so nasty outside we'd still be out of yogurt.

Last edited by LBrain; 11-06-2014 at 01:59 PM. Reason: yogurt
Old 11-06-2014, 01:58 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Weasel1966 View Post
Hey Cristina. Good to see you. We are here if you need anything. Post all you want!!! Good to have you with us!

Thanks Weasel
Old 11-06-2014, 01:59 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Sweet ! Weekend almost here I remember white knuckling my first sober one about 6 weeks ago...you all have helped sooooo much ! Mesa, is that your dog? Those eyes! Giant puddles of soul. In my mind labs are the king/queens of all canines. My son is currently listening to electronic beat rave stuff upstairs...I must be getting old, not a fan of it ok, time to hit the gym for a spin class, then my 8 pm meeting then home for the couch. Beeteedubs, Group Couch Snack for this eve is popcorn mixed with m& m's....your welcome !
Old 11-06-2014, 02:17 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Yep. That be our wunnerful Goldie.

Just pulled in by a Nail Salon to jury rig up the lower Cowling that fell down on her Passat after a THIRD Mechanic Intervention only yesterday. More later after this Fuster Cluck Repair. I'm kewl with it. We Barter these Favors in our Household.-)
Old 11-06-2014, 03:17 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Hey Weekenders!!

Sadly not going to be around much this weekend, heading to London for this weeks NFL game at Wembley on Sunday, off to work tomorrow morning and making it to the airport from there, gonna be a heck of a long day!!

Also gonna check in with my sister and husband, as well as a few friends I haven't seen in ages, when I'm over, it should be quite a relaxing time, I'm looking forward to it!!

Let's keep it Sober!!
Old 11-06-2014, 03:34 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Something for the Rockers...

If you've never heard it, one of the best albums ever:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wPDO-8yBVw
Old 11-06-2014, 03:35 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Administrator

Music is my life

A nifty alternate version of a familiar song here:

I'm sticking with the idea norwegian wood is furniture

D
Old 11-06-2014, 04:42 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Hi Ken and wheeekenders! I haven't been on the weekend thread for a bit but I'd like to join in today.

I have eclectic taste in music, last year during early recovery I discovered new age chant music which is really soothing, just lately I've been getting into alt classical especially Ludovico Einaudi.

Ludovico Einaudi: In a Time Lapse, live from home - YouTube
Old 11-06-2014, 04:49 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Whoah! Dee throwing up on the weekender thread.
He really is going for that hundred grandth post.
Great version of NW thanks.
Old 11-06-2014, 05:09 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

I am in!

la la la la la la la
(my musical gift to the thread.)
Old 11-06-2014, 05:11 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Weasel, You're talkin' my language, friend. I'm super excited for this. Enjoy the NFL!

LBrain, You just earned 1000 bonus points in my book for the clip from NERDS. I laughed to tears.

Weekend R and R is so close!

Lean On Me

Sittin on the Dock of the Bay
Old 11-06-2014, 05:19 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Oooohhhh, Marcher! I listened to a bit of that and am saving it for Sunday morning. Life is never sweeter than a lazy day, a cuppa, and new piano music. Thank you!
Old 11-06-2014, 05:39 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Heya Weekenders, here's a favorite of mine, hope you like it too:

Let's hear it for another sober weekend!
Old 11-06-2014, 05:46 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Administrator

LOL no padding necessary Lbrain
D
Old 11-06-2014, 06:03 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

The Wall

We've all hit it. We've all had to get through it/over it/disassemble it.

Choosing many different Vocalists, 'Pink Floyd' Bassist Roger Waters arranged this massive Concert in 1990 where The Wall stood in Berlin. This is the year I first went there. We walked through the Brandenburg Gate shown at the opening in this Video. Chilling. So much History that I grew up with. Tensions in this Region likely were a part of almost ending the World as we know it in a near-Nuclear Cold War exchange. Boy, I almost showed me, eh?

I bought and brought back my authenticated piece of the Wall with Graffiti on it. A real treasure from the 'Checkpoint Charlie' Museum there where heavily-monitored transit was allowed for certain Persons who passed relentless Security when that Checkpoint was active. A section of The Wall has been left standing 'lest we forget'.

'Hey You' is sung here in this Concert by Paul Carrack of 'Squeeze, 'Ace', 'Mike And The Mechanics', and other classic Bands.

Nice to now hear this Soul-affecting Song while Sober. A very moving cry for help, and call to action.

'Hey You' ~ The Wall In Berlin Live ~ 1990

Allz I gotz is this 'Wall' Pic at Finlaggan on Islay off the West Coast of Scotland. When Roofs were removed there, a Building was taken off the Property Tax Rolls. It then ceased to exist.

----

----
Old 11-06-2014, 07:24 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

For a flash few seconds there I was actually able to see and hear videos on my iPad and then I started DoubleFelix' video and POOF! It went away.

I somehow managed shotgun today but then I got busy and that went poof too. Last weekend left me bemoaning my sink-less state. Today I not only have a counter but a sink. The plumbing guy came today and hooked up the sink and the dishwasher. Amazing! It's coming along. Here you are...a work in progress.

So, welcome everyone. Thank you for your musical contributions. I am an eclectic listener. The one song that came to mind when I posted earlier was Modern English "I'll Melt With You". I went to college in the early eighties. That song was played at closing time at the campus pub. When I hear it I don't associate it with drinking but the young camaraderie found amid college students. It's a happy association. There isn't really anything I hear and go "gee, I can't listen to that because then I will want to drink" or anything that has truly negative drinking connections.

So, time to get my son in bed. Kids have tomorrow off of school. I don't have it off of work. I am looking forward to the weekend. I can rest.
Old 11-07-2014, 01:18 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Ruby, when are they going to get everything off the floor and put it on the wall?

Old 11-07-2014, 02:56 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Good morning weekenders!

Off to work today. I develop software and have a lot of details to sort out with performance testing. Yeah! Sounds dry but I love it.

Ready for a working out weekend. I am down so much from my diet that I really want to hit that goal weight. I think I am just a few weeks away. Just before thanksgiving where I can eat all I want.

A friend invited me to his house for a few people that don't have family or anywhere to go. The group is fun. They drink but that does not bother me. It has nothing to do with me actually. So I won't be alone the entire time.

Then I thought I would make something for the folks I feed every now and then. Maybe over the weekend when all the free food was passed out Thursday.

Anyway... Smile today. Happiness is a muscle... So flex it a bit...
Old 11-07-2014, 03:09 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by trachemys View Post
Oooohhhh, Marcher! I listened to a bit of that and am saving it for Sunday morning. Life is never sweeter than a lazy day, a cuppa, and new piano music. Thank you!
You have the best Sunday morning coming up Trachy my mate.
Old 11-07-2014, 03:14 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

How good is it to go to a friend's house for dinner on a Friday night, have a bunch of laughs, enjoy the meal, come home and be ready to go to bed a decent hour so you can work the following day.

I love sobriety.

Night all.