Notices

Dual Diagnosis

Old 11-05-2014, 06:54 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Dual Diagnosis

Hi All,

I finally was diagnosed as bipolar II. I'm also an alcoholic. That's a nasty dual diagnosis. I feel like I'm at the base of an insurmountable mountain, and I'm not sure if I can keep going. I've felt hopeless before, but this is the first time I've internalized just how hopeless my situation is. I have two incurable, debilitating diseases. I'll never be free from my own brain chemistry. I could really use some cheering up because all my friends are terrified of my mood swings, and to be honest, I am too.
Old 11-05-2014, 07:12 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Clinically curable no. Living a fantastic life sober and dealing with bipolar is still possible.

I have family in your exact situation that couldn't be happier. Be happy! There's so much more to life than a diagnosis.

Being drunk 24/7 and dying from cancer or liver failure is much worse than bipolar disorder in my opinion.
Old 11-05-2014, 07:14 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

You're certainly not alone--there are several bi-polar members here. I am schizo-affective. I seem to manage my mental illness and my alcoholism pretty well with the help of AA and SoberRecovery.
Old 11-05-2014, 07:34 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Ythill,
I always want to help people feel better but then I get scared I will say something stupid. But here goes. I care. And I would like to see you cheer up. And you asked.

Here's the way I see it. And I've had a few diagnosis I wasn't too happy about either. A lot of it was I just needed time to process it. I had to just sit with it a bit before coming up with any long term conclusions.

I figured that I had it before it had a name. And now that it had a name the only thing that was really different was the fact I now know it's name. The one good thing about a diagnosis is there are people who specialize in helping people with diagnosis. I don't know anyone who specializes in fixing what they don't know what to fix.

So maybe focus on this is not the end. This is the beginning. You now know what has been causing your pain. There are people to help you get better from that pain and there are people who had the same pain and did get better. There are probably a ton on here right now dealing with bipolar and alcoholism. I bet there are some doing really well too. I think you can be one of those too.

You are not hopeless. You are not beyond help and you certainly are far more than just the names of bipolar and alcoholic. You are strong and resilient. You suffered and survived before this and you didn't even know what you were up against. Now you do. That's courage and strength friend. You have it. It's just hard feeling it right now but it's there.

You are not alone with this anymore.
Old 11-05-2014, 07:44 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
~sb

with the right medications, you will be doing whatever it is you want to do! I have many friends who are doing what they want, as long as they follow their doctor's orders!!!! One friend says the correct diagnosis and prescriptions are quite freeing for their mind!
Old 11-05-2014, 07:56 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
02.27.15 :): ▽VII△VIII

Hi Ythill, I also have bipolar II and alcoholism. It's tough but not impossible. I was diagnosed a year ago and went through a major grieving process as I learned what it meant for me, but now I am relieved to know why I've struggled for so long and that there are things I can do to help it. Let's PM if you want to talk about it more. Hugs.
Old 11-05-2014, 07:56 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Some great advice here Ythill

I'm not BP but I have a range of physical health issues. It's easy to get swamped by despair but I try very hard to look at the vast swathe of positives in my life.

I'm alive, I'm in pretty good health I have people who love me - and I have a range of things - medications and treatments - that help me live a normal life.

I've seen many others here who've been dually diagnosed who live happy fun and fulfilling lives.

You can too - don't let that despair and fear tell you otherwise

D
Old 11-06-2014, 05:40 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi All, thanks for the warm consolations. I'm struggling with the fact that my friends and family don't understand this condition. They seem to think that I can just snap out of it by keeping busy, etc. I'm having a difficult time telling them that if I could snap out of it, I would. People look at me now with concern. I don't know if anyone is a fan of Van Der Graaf Generator but..."Myself won't let me be myself, so I am completely alone."
Old 11-06-2014, 05:45 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I am also living with bipolar and am an alcoholic. When I was drinking I wasn't taking my medications like I was suppose to. Now that I have been sober for a bit and taking my medications properly things have taken a turn for the better. With the right meds and abstaining from alcohol things can improve significantly.

A lot of people don't understand bipolar disorder and that is rather unfortunate. They think those of us living with bipolar are constantly living in a state of laugh one minute and going nuts crying or screaming the next. It just isn't so. There is a great book written by a professor that has bipolar called, "An Unquiet Mind". I have given it to some family members to read and it really helps them understand things better.
Old 11-06-2014, 05:50 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

You're not alone here tho

I spent a lot of years trying to make loved ones understand my disabilities - I finally worked out that I'm the only one in my circle who really needs to understand them...

and I can always find like minded people to help

D
Old 11-06-2014, 05:59 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
A.K.A Bri

I'm a bipolar alcoholic...

Are you on anything for the bipolar side of things? My medicine has not only been paramount in my psychological recovery, but also in my sobriety because being bipolar played such a role in the moods that led me to drink. From suicide attempts to broken relationships to lost jobs, etc. I went through it all at the hands of my diseases until I realized that they both ARE curable with the desire to get cured, therapy, and willpower. Now that I've got a good handle on my mental health sobriety has been easy for me but I do know that if I get off my medicine I will be back to a disastrous square one.

Take everything a day at a time and remember this IS doable. You CAN get through this. Let me know if I can be of any help.

B
Old 11-06-2014, 06:03 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ythill View Post
I have two incurable, debilitating diseases. I'll never be free from my own brain chemistry.
Curable, no. Manageable, yes. You have to put in the extra effort to manage your illnesses. Fair? no...but what is right?
Old 11-06-2014, 06:22 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Originally Posted by ArtFriend View Post
Curable, no. Manageable, yes. You have to put in the extra effort to manage your illnesses. Fair? no...but what is right?
This.

I am also bipolar and alcoholic. I take meds for it and now that I'm sober, the meds work as they should and my life is manageable. It is possible to live a fulfilling life despite conditions like you have. I know. I'm living proof.
Old 11-06-2014, 06:29 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I tend toward unipolar depression. It's so much easier to control now that I'm not self medicating. I think you'll find so, too, ythill.
Old 11-06-2014, 07:07 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I was first diagnosed BP along with other brain cooties in the early 1990s, before it was the disease du jour that all the trendy kids had. . It's not that uncommon (I bet if asked, over 50% of all alkies/addicts would self-identify as "dual dx"), and it, and drinking, do not have to be " incurable, debilitating diseases" unless you choose for them to be. Neither is a legitimate reason for a pity party or feeling sorry for oneself, IMO. Good grief, it's certainly not "hopeless." Although one can certainly choose to feel that way, I suppose.

One thing I have realised after several decades of on and off drinking and meds, is I can do one, or neither, but not both. Drinking as a coping mechanism has never worked out too well for me. Meds aren't a walk in the park but have actually worked. Doing both at the same time - coarse tremors, passing out and ataxia. Not so good.